"Average MPG" keeps resetting. Why?

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
I use "Trip 2" to track lifetime fuel economy, and it's doing so nicely. But I'd like to use "Trip 1" to track per-tank fuel economy. The trouble is "Trip 1" resets after the car has been shut down and the doors locked. (Don't know if Trip 2 would do that too if I had it active when I lock the car.)

Any way to get the car to stop resetting every time I lock the doors?

-mickey

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Nope, it's by design - read your manual! Trip 1 and trip 2 each have specific, different, behaviors, and it's all documented . . .

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Trip 1 is designed to track trip mileage. It resets itself after the car has been shut down for an hour or two.
Trip 2 is designed for tank averages. You can manually reset it when you fill up.

For lifetime fuel economy, you are pretty much stuck with pencil and paper. Sorry, buy it is what it is. The car does exactly what it was designed to do and (as stated above) it is all in the owner's manual. I realize that reading the manual is an uncommon thing to do, but it can be useful occasionally.

Have Fun!

Don

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
Nerts. I was afraid of that. Oh well. I'll live with it.

And don't patronize me. I do not respond well to that. I'm well aware of the existence of the owner's manual and what it says. My question was whether or not there is a work-around. Not everything is in the owner's manual.

I was a TDI Club moderator when you were still in knee pants, son.

-mickey

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)

Son? If you are old enough to call me "son" you must be at least in your mid nineties because I'm an old fart myself. There is no reason to be upset. I have no reason (or need) to patronize anyone. I'm just known for my keen insight into the obvious.:D

Have Fun!

Don

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Nerts. I was afraid of that. Oh well. I'll live with it.

And don't patronize me. I do not respond well to that. I'm well aware of the existence of the owner's manual and what it says. My question was whether or not there is a work-around. Not everything is in the owner's manual.

-mickey
There is no work-around. Trip 1 always resets after 2 hours and trip 2 tracks until you reset it or it rolls over.

Please don't throw your history as a moderator around, as it doesn't carry a lot of clout. A lot has changed over the years and a lot of this information has been covered extensively already. That's coming from an administrator, in case you're curious.

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
There is no work-around. Trip 1 always resets after 2 hours and trip 2 tracks until you reset it or it rolls over.
Please don't throw your history as a moderator around, as it doesn't carry a lot of clout. A lot has changed over the years and a lot of this information has been covered extensively already. That's coming from an administrator, in case you're curious.
I don't throw anything around except as a response to a belittling and patronizing response to a legitimate question. If the owner's manual contained all the answers there would be no reason for this site's existence. Am I wrong?

As a moderator I'd smack people down for that kind of thing. But that was then. And, as you pointed out, this is now. You can run things however you please. But don't expect me to meekly accept it. I'm not a noob.

-mickey

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
It's amazing, though, how many questions here would not apply had folks read the manual (and for that matter, how many folks don't think they need to), so I'm not in the habit of regurgitating info for folks who choose not to use their primary documentation, sorry . . . and I honestly could care less how anyone feels about it . . . my answer was correct, after all . . .

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Answers to questions aren't patronizing, they're simply answers, with added clarification.

I read no patronizing attitude in any of the previous posts.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I haven't used pencil and paper to keep track my fuel mileage since god knows when. The only one I still do manually is the DEF fluid usage.

I downloaded an APP for my iCrap stuff for free. Each time I fill up I faithfully add the info as well as the cost of the fuel. The APP gives my Mpg, cost per mile etc. The free version is for only one car, I think if you pay you can do more than one car.