BMW 330xd to 335xd drag car 500hp target project

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Hi guys, its been a long time since i started the 2.0 CR project which had a happy ending, lots of things learned during the build. Car still drives ok.
For 2020 drag racing season i got an E92 330xd which is being build as we speak with the folowing:
-improved cooling
-intake mods
-fmic
-complete tiptronic service with XHP and custom software for drag racing by Completechip
-HPFP upgrade by Completechip + big injectors
-many other mods that make a difference
-suspensions and brakes, light rims, soft tires
-WMI
-full aluminum turbo-ic-intake piping
Software will be custom of course by Dragos from Completechip.
3 turbos will be tested:
in house built single turbo hybrid with big custom turbine wheel and compressor from Bobby Singh Racing, 450+hp target on this one.
Single turbo with special parts 480+hp target
In house built ceramic ball bearing biturbo with target of 500hp diesel only. We will be converting to biturbo setup which will be used for the season.
Now the car drives with the 1st setup to ensure that everything is ok before going on dyno, The other 2 turbo setups are being built.
From the workshop:

Everything new around the engine which was cleaned well and many parts replaced.

My goal for this season is to have a 11.0s car for the 1/4 mile drag. Anything in the 10.x seconds would be great of course.
Thanks to Bobby Singh for supplying me with turbo parts and advice and of course to friends (Dragos and Padre) who help build and tune the new toy.
In february we will be on dyno @Completechip. 60 days till 1st race :)
-

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Matt Whitbread does quite a bit of work with these, he has a custom cast manifold etc, very impressive engines. Looking forward to seeing it take flight!

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
I spoke to him , the only thing interesting for us right now would be the steel pistons but not for my power target, for the other car. Not cheap either.
Dragos runs 700hp on stock pistons , so far so good.
We know all the tricks to make the bmw fast, this is just the beginning.
Problem is at 550hp gearbox starts to act funny, so you are limited anyway and options become really expensive. I wont go that far.
This is ment to be 11.0s or lower everyday car and platform to test my turbos and upgrades.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Decided not to remove cyl head. If it fails after this season i will open it.
For now i keep it stock internals but it was on my mind at some point.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
Thanks for posting up here Mac !! We just contacted Matt regarding steel ALH pistons.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
My friend's car is on dyno today, target power is higher compared to mine.
Previously did 557hp diesel only. Today they test new sequential setup.
Ill post dyno when its done.

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
So it did 2% less power with new turbos? Was there any other changes?

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
We went with smaller turbo.
We expect this to be faster than the 592hp run of 10.8s /402m (turbo way to big and it did not help)
The curves are so much better, almost flat compared the climbing power curve of previous huge turbo. We find out soon enough if temperature allows.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
That is awesome, well done Mac.

What would you say as being the best bang-for-buck mod for the 2.0L BMW diesel in my X3? It's a daily driver but I'd love more power.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Very smooth. That must be a pleasure to drive.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Actually it couldn't be tested on the street, too dangerous in 0 deg. conditions. We are waiting for the weather to improve and do some tests.
But yes should be impressive on the street. 505hp 0 smoke street map, 800Nm of torque. We do some videos and launches soon.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
They must build quite a strong drivetrain to handle torque like that

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
The 500hp turbo is ready, just finished it
A few mods on the intake and im done (porting and polishing)

Last edited:

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Big and light turbine and more custom mods that make the difference.
Hope to have a nice surprise by the end of the week.
It should spin easy on ceramic bb cartridge.

D3D

TDI
VW Golf
Hi Mac,

Look forward to seeing more progress updates, very interesting build plans!

May I ask more about the larger injectors? This looks to be an m57n2 engine from the pics, so it will be with the 286 piezo units (similar size to the 231 330d injectors).

What options are there for larger injectors?

I'm aware of some from an Audi sq5 or similar, but they have wrong spray angle. The 313 n57 injectors flow 15-20% more (I think) but are different bore and size and don't work with m57n2 from my understanding. Cheers

Regards,
Niv

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
286hp piezzo injectors are quite big for my power goal of 500+ , dont see a reason to upgrade them.
The N series injectors might be bigger but injectors are too short, can not be used.

I found a working solution but there is a lot to modify in order to make them work, so why bother. Plus all the maps that need to be put in the software.. not at this time.

Meanwhile the other car has been on dyno after some minor repair
548hp 950nm , no smoke

Last edited:

D3D

TDI
VW Golf
286hp piezzo injectors are quite big for my power goal of 500+ , dont see a reason to upgrade them.
The N series injectors might be bigger but injectors are too short, can not be used.

I found a working solution but there is a lot to modify in order to make them work, so why bother. Plus all the maps that need to be put in the software.. not at this time.

Meanwhile the other car has been on dyno after some minor repair
548hp 950nm , no smoke
What sort of max power do you think you could get out of the 286 injectors with r90 pump, and what sort of rail pressure?

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Improvements everywhere we considered necessary. Nothing is left untouched.
Now since that i have some extra time, perfecting some aspects further.
A lot of dremel and carbide work and some healthy time on my lathe.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
This is just an amazing project! Congrats on achieving your power goals but I think you are looking for more?

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Stock 6hp28 with custom software on all the cars except the fastest one which runs 8hp+standalone.
Yes now that we have time i am thinking of complete gearbox rebuild with exedy clutches + all the rest.
Got 3 turbos ready but cant test them due to lock down.

70mm intake all smoth inside

test before machining the housing for compressor

Last edited:

1.4TDI PD

TDI
2.5TDI V6, 3.3TDI V8,3.0TDI V6,1.9TDI PD100
Nice build do you maybe know how much power,torque can a stock 5HP24 handle ? and if there are any upgrade parts for it.