My hitch is on the way..

farfromhome63

TDI
MKVI Jetta DSG , MKVI Golf Man
I cant wait to get this thing installed.. In leu of the current fuel prices this will be a nice reprieve for my self so that I can track my dirtbike more often.

Ichance405

TDI
2012 tdi GOLF 2009 silverado 1500 6.0
what type of hitch? also do you plan on pulling a trailer or having a rack for yur bike? I am tired of filling up my gas guzzling chevy. but kind of embarrased to roll to the moto track in the tdi with a bike on the back haha. money saver for sure

farfromhome63

TDI
http://www.etrailer.com/p-60267.html

This is the one I got, I did a mufflerectomy so I dont have anything in the way. I have a small 4x8 ish trailer, actually an old jetski trailer converted to flatbed and has 14 inch wheels so it should tow nice.

I dont care about how I look going because all the naysayers get put down on the track!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I went with the Curt/U-Haul hitch on my JSW. Drag my butt most mornings backing out of the drive and even over some speed humps. I am looking at the hidden hitch for the Golf to keep the lines clean.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Yeah, I'd love to see some pics. I'm going to have to do this also.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Used to be a great how to on vwvortex for wiring set up but can't find it now. I'll keep looking.

Polak

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDi SEL
Pics please...I'm thinking of doing this and buying a small trailer to tow my ATV.

If this is what you're getting, I really don't like how low it hangs. It's actually ugly to me.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's about how mine looks on the jsw.

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
I have a Bosal on my 2009 and I can't say enough good about it. I have a bunch of posts on the subject as do others. The Westfalia is very similar.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
The Curt hitch on my Golf TDI, from U-Haul, is visible and about an inch or so lower than the hidden version for the GTI, but I think it looks fine. The bigger round tubing on the Curt seems to look nicer than the square tubing on the other hitches.

Curt with DrawTite rubber plug

Curt, looking through the receiver hole

Photos from fickr

Last edited:

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Can anyone give info on what needs to be done on the wiring side of things? It seems there are special requirements electrically because the hitch makers don't seem to have a turnkey wiring adapter.....

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Thanks leadfoot, I had seen that thread. I was hoping someone had made some progress on using the existing taillight plug, and daisy-chaining from that using OEM VW connectors, so that it would truly be a reversable, plug-and-play solution. I was hoping that someone had done that and posted....

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I want to do that to the wifes Golf but would need for her to be gone for at least a week. If she saw me pulling taillights and bumper covers, I would be sleeping under the deck with the spiders and fire ants for many months. No dog, so no dog house to sleep in.

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010
Tow Bar (hitch assembly and receiver) 159 pounds (~$253 USD) from FP Jones
textured rear valance 1K5-807-433-9B9 $324.38
hitch cap 1K5-807-397-9B9 $25.90
tow eye cover 1K5-807-441-A-9B9 $27.76
two pins 6Q0807643 $4.20
two washers 6N0129355 $3.82

ball is 1.960" diameter.

also picked up the thule 9708 4 bike carier (the reason for the hitch) that does not touch the car, only the ball also from PF Jones

a bit expensive, but no paint contact and no clearance issues

NOTE: these are black textured part numbers for the SEDAN

Last edited:

farfromhome63

TDI
the hitch i ordered is for a gti, its only indication that there is even a hitch is the receiver hole. I would not buy one that hangs down... lame..
I will post pics when I get it.. 2 days and counting!