ESP/ABS Error

aaronazevedo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Cup
Wow, so where to start. I've learned a lot in the past few days, unfortunately none of it will help me solve the mysterious ESP/ABS problem with my car.
First off, VW of NA is big brother. They no longer allow individual VW dealers to reflash ECU's. They are all done online over the web when VW of NA tech services are available. Very convenient for them, not so convenient for me, the customer that is without a car and stuck driving a rental.

My frustration is furthered by my particular VW dealers complete lack of sense of urgency. I dropped my car off at 3pm on Tuesday, and didn't get it back until Wednesday at 6pm. And all they did was read the faulty ABS codes, tell me my car had been modified and they had to reflash the ECU in order to stock and tell me there are no codes anymore. Nice.

So now I am driving a stock TDi and find it nearly gutless. Im back to no torque below 1800 or above 3200 rpm. My mileage has dropped off by 2-4 mpg. I drove home last night and got 42mpg where i typically see 45-48mpg. I drove to work this morning and got 40 mpg where I typically see 42-43mpg.

So outside of my frustrations, I have a gremlin. I dont think that an ECU flash or tune should have anything to do with an ABS sensor or ABS control unit (both codes the dealer pulled). Ive talked to Revo and Mike and Canyon racer. Neither have ever heard of this. VW is just trying not to pay for any warranty work.

In the 22k miles of ownership, the radio and nav have cut out 2 times. Each time fixed with a reset or vehicle shut down. The central locking/alarm system has stopped working 3 times. Each time fixed with arming the alarm with a key turn in the drivers door. I am beginning to wonder if I should not have taken the car to the dealer, but instead should have shut the car down and tried to reset things. I wonder about just shutting off the ESP, or yanking the fuse. I am more and more convinced that these cars just have electrical gremlins that fix themselves with a vehicle shut down.

I'll drive the car for a week to see if the ESP/ABS error comes back. if not, I'm getting the car reflashed with Revo Stage 1 next week.

Frustrated, but super happy to be in a Jetta rather than the Chevy HHR rental

2X TDI

TDI
09 JSW; 11 Golf
I'm out of town so still haven't done anything with my abs/ESP situation. I'll let you know what they say. I hear you though...these things are like finicky computers that just need be rebooted from time to time.

aaronazevedo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Cup
Update - driving down the 5 today with a stock tuned ECU and the car threw the same code. Called the stealer - bringing it back in on Monday. I WILL win this. F VW of NA!!!

2X TDI

TDI
09 JSW; 11 Golf
Isnt it under warranty anyway? I'm still looking for an answer regarding it being under 3/36 or the 5/60 powertrain. Do you know? It may really matter to me since I'm edging in on 50k.

BTW, I have REVO on the TT and love it but my REVO guy is clueless on the TDI. Is there a stage I for the DSG TDI?

Last edited:

aaronazevedo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Cup
I can't say for sure on the warranty front. I would guess that brakes and brake components are not part of the powertrain, so therefore they would be part of the 3/36 program. I'm at 22k miles.

My car threw a code (the same code) on Friday in stock ECU tune, so its going back to the dealer, but only once they have a loaner for me. I'll be sure keep everyone up to speed on warranty coverage

aaronazevedo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Cup
I can't say for sure on the warranty front. I would guess that brakes and brake components are not part of the powertrain, so therefore they would be part of the 3/36 program. I'm at 22k miles.

My car threw a code (the same code) on Friday in stock ECU tune, so its going back to the dealer, but only once they have a loaner for me. I'll be sure keep everyone up to speed on warranty coverage

JSWJohn

TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold, Cornsilk
"In the 22k miles of ownership, the radio and nav have cut out 2 times. Each time fixed with a reset or vehicle shut down. The central locking/alarm system has stopped working 3 times. Each time fixed with arming the alarm with a key turn in the drivers door. I am beginning to wonder if I should not have taken the car to the dealer, but instead should have shut the car down and tried to reset things. I wonder about just shutting off the ESP, or yanking the fuse. I am more and more convinced that these cars just have electrical gremlins that fix themselves with a vehicle shut down."

I've not had the ESP/ABS issue, but I have had about the same number of failures of the central locking/alarm system as well as a number of issues with the AM radio getting stupid.

My solution to the central locking system failure (no joy with the key fob) was to use the key in the door lock and then all was well for several months. I think I've had about three occurances of this issue.

Several times during my first few months of ownership, the AM side of the radio was just static and the FM side had severly reduced reception. This seemed to last through several on/off cycles and eventually things returned to normal. I noted this at my 10K service and the dealer's solution was to reflash the radio software. Since then, all has been good with the radio.

I've had the car, 2010 JSW, DSG, 31,500mi, for right at a year and still really like it a lot. But I do agree that these cars have electrical gremlins. Sorta adds to their quirky personalities......

aaronazevedo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Cup
UPdate

So last night on the way home - heading down the 5 with stock ECU tune the same thing happened ESP/ABS Error - light comes on and the traction control tries to kick in and pull back power - light stays on. No worries - I keep dirving -then I get the dreaded blinking glow plug light - Check engine immediately

Pull over - shut car down. pull key - count to 30, start car up and the glow plug light is off, not blinking, just gone. ABS still on.

Car is at VW now with the same code from before (21292) - front left ABS speed sensor. Of course VW won't replace the speed sensor because it is an intermitent failure?

The new code is for Transmission Control Module. Really? My car is a 6 speed manual. I wouldn't think it had a TCM. Any thoughts here guys?

2X TDI

TDI
09 JSW; 11 Golf
Dropping ours off Sat morning for the lights. I'll update after the visit.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
My frustration is furthered by my particular VW dealers complete lack of sense of urgency.

tell me my car had been modified.

So outside of my frustrations, I have a gremlin.
Timeout. Aren't you the guy who swapped out stock calipers for Porsche calipers? Aren't you the guy who did this to the pad wear sensor:

I cut them off - and spliced them together to get around the warning!

Now you're throwing ABS/ESP codes and you wonder why? Seriously? You don't think your swap had anything to do with it? And you're angry that your dealer isn't treating you with urgency? Wow. Where do you people come from........?:eek:

aaronazevedo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Cup
IFRCFI -

Dude, you have to slow down. Don't spend so much time being angry. Let me fill you in on some of the details so you aren't left to assume anything.

The code that is being thrown is for ABS speed sensor. The ABS speed sensor has never been touched. It simple reads the speed from the inside of the VW stock rotor. I don't think changing a caliper would have anything to do with an electronic speed sensor. I visited VW this morning and talked to the tech and they confirmed that the calipers have nothing to do with the code.

The item I spliced is the break pad wear sensor. It is a simple two wire item that is broken when your pad wears down. In order to complete the circuit and keep the pad wear light off, I merely completed the circuit just as if it were stock.

Try to dial your rhetoric back a bit and provide more helpful advice with your posts.

Hope your day gets better.

aaronazevedo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Cup
It was never bad. But you didn't answer the question....you seriously don't think your hack job on the brakes had anything to do with your codes?
Your derogatory, condescending tone is fascinating. If this isn't a bad day, I'd hate to run into you on a bad day.

Maybe I wasn't clear. No, I seriously don't think changing the calipers and and splicing the pad wear sensor had anything to an ABS Speed Sensor. So to confirm that, I went to VW today and talked to the tech. He confirmed the function of the brake pad wear circuit, verified the quality of my splice, and then confirmed that changing a caliper had absolutely nothing to do with an ABS Speed Sensor #21292.

2X TDI

TDI
09 JSW; 11 Golf
Well, I just got my news...not good at all. They diagnosed it as an internal electrical failure on the ABS hydraulic pump. That little item will cost a whopping $2,800 the fix!!!! The pump alone is $1,600 apparently. I've been owning and driving cars for over 30 years and have never once had an ABS system go out on me. This car isn't even 2 years old! I bet the ABS has activated less than 5 times in the 48k we've driven. This is totally rediculous for this to fail at this stage.

I just took possession of the 11 Golf last week too. I have to say, I would never drive one of these things without a warranty. I bought extended warranties on both cars but the ABS issue on the 09 occurred before I bought it...we were waiting for the Golf to come in to get them both under an extended warranty. Wow, that was lousy timing. I havent agreed to the repair until my dealer speaks with VW on Monday about it. If anyone has any suggestions, Im all ears. I will probably end up doing this myself but I'm not unhappy camper at the moment.

aaronazevedo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Cup
Well, I just got my news...not good at all. They diagnosed it as an internal electrical failure on the ABS hydraulic pump. That little item will cost a whopping $2,800 the fix!!!! The pump alone is $1,600 apparently. I've been owning and driving cars for over 30 years and have never once had an ABS system go out on me. This car isn't even 2 years old! I bet the ABS has activated less than 5 times in the 48k we've driven. This is totally rediculous for this to fail at this stage.

I just took possession of the 11 Golf last week too. I have to say, I would never drive one of these things without a warranty. I bought extended warranties on both cars but the ABS issue on the 09 occurred before I bought it...we were waiting for the Golf to come in to get them both under an extended warranty. Wow, that was lousy timing. I havent agreed to the repair until my dealer speaks with VW on Monday about it. If anyone has any suggestions, Im all ears. I will probably end up doing this myself but I'm not unhappy camper at the moment.
Not good news at all. Sorry. I hope that's not really it. If it is, I would hope that VW would cover it, or part of it under some sort of 'good will' clause. I've had Porsche do that on occasion for items that just aren't wear items.It just seem so odd that an ABS pump would fail on a new car - som '86 Taurus that has been ridden hard and put away wet for some 25 years, sure, I can see an ABS pump failing.

What codes has it thrown? I've been working with a tech on my issue and was just asked what module the code was in? I'm not sure on my case, but just asking you if your guy knows. Exactly how did it fail? ESP first? ABS first? Both?

Mine was in unison. The ABS light was blinking at the same time as the TCS light. It was explained to me that the TCS/ESP system was trying to pull back power based on false ABS sensor feedback. My only code to date is 22169 - Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor. This series of events happens intermittently. Stores a code, but when VW checks the sensor its fine.

Only last Friday did I get a check engine light at the same time as this prior series of intermittent events. This is when I also got the Transmission Control System Malfunction - code 05000-P1388. Funny thing is....my car is a 6 speed manual. VW tells me I don't have a Transmission Control Module (TCM).

Good luck, Monday.

2X TDI

TDI
09 JSW; 11 Golf
Lights came on simultaneously while simply driving down the highway. The brakes were not even being applied. Can't remember the code but it showed elect malfunc of hydraulic abs pump.

2X TDI

TDI
09 JSW; 11 Golf
Got the final word from VW. They are giving me a "final goodwill gesture" and only charging me $1,800 for the replacement of a pump that has no business failing in less than two years! Their previous goodwill gesture was when they replaced my failed radio at 38K...again, an internal electrical failure that should NEVER happen let alone in a relatively new car. There is nothing I could have done to cause either of these premature internal electrical failures. Now I'm left wondering what's next.

aaronazevedo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Cup
Wow! that sucks. Sorry, man.

My warning lights came on 6-8 times over the weekend and then nothing since then? Frustrating.....

2X TDI

TDI
09 JSW; 11 Golf
UPDATED OUTCOME! My dealer continued working with VW and amongst themselves...sales, mgmt and service. They have decided to cover this premature failure for us ENTIRELY! I can't begin to tell you all how happy I am with this outcome. It is further proof that if you work well with your dealership, it will pay off in the long run. They just cemented a customer for life!