2014 Jetta TDI or 1.8 TSI?

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
Hi All,

I've test driven both the TDI and TSI. I wonder if anyone else has weighed the pros and cons of each and which would be better to go with. Is the price premium for the TDI still worth it?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Hi All,

I've test driven both the TDI and TSI. I wonder if anyone else has weighed the pros and cons of each and which would be better to go with. Is the price premium for the TDI still worth it to you?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Well according to your sig you already have a 2014 TDI. Are you considering buying another car? What is worth it?
If your only looking at fuel cost savings probably not. Drive-ability is a whole different story.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Check the fuel mileage reports on Fuelly to compare the two engines.

fowvey

Veteran Member
TDI
(2014 Jetta TDI DSG) -Gone, but not forgotten, 2014 Audi A6 TDI
I looked at this two ways, driving advantages and financial advantages.

First, driving:

I drive approximately 250 miles a week with a total of around 1200 a month with it being averaged out. In AZ and the SW in general, diesel is typically 30-50 cents higher than RUG. So, judging strictly by the EPA numbers, a TDI with combined of 34 MPG would yield me 35.29 gallons, at about 3.70 per gallon for $130.5 a month. The TSI would be 29 MPG, at about 3.45 per gallon, for $142 a month. This is about $12 a month saving, which is no match for the price justification difference. Now, on a TDI, you can drive further, which for me, was a very big plus. Most of my driving is on a highway (I did combined MPG for anyone else on here) so it made sense to me. A real world example would be a drive from Phoenix to Forest Lakes, AZ, ~220 miles round trip, and from 1200 feet to 7200 feet elevation. I achieved 39.8 mpg even during a snowstorm in which the car idled for a good 10 minutes for passengers' heat.

Financial advantages:

The resale value of TDIs has been known to be higher than the equivalent gas car, be it Jetta or Golf or anything else. Using KBB, a 2013 2.5L SE with equivalent options to a TDI base model, not Value Edition, is valued at $15,037 at 20k miles in very good condition. (the 2014 1.8T and TDI were not listed, nor were any other model, only the JSW was). The TDI with equivalent setup is $19,547. A 2014 SE w/Connectivity is $20,715 and the TDI base, non Value Edition, is $23,625, each according to vw.com at MSRP of course :). So while the 2.5L is not the TSI, it is obvious that is judging the 2.5L to be approximately priced the same, you would have a roughly $5000 depreciation with the TSI versus the $4000 with the TDI. I paid cash for mine, but looking at it like that was another convincing argument for me.

For you, I would analyze your driving habit, mostly stop n' go or mix? Mostly highway? The TSI is one heck of an engine and is very competent of getting higher MPGs than the EPA posted, much like the TDI.

If I was doing this all over again, the TDI would still win it for me. It seems to be the better choice for my driving. For my Audi, their petrol engines required premium, which is the same or higher as diesel, so the difference there was even more convincing, plus the 700 mile range.

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
Yes, I have the TDI, but I think it's good but doesn't knock my socks off. I get good mpg... probably around 41 to 42 mixed overall since getting it. I test drove the TSI and was impressed but couldn't find it decently equipped with a stick. I'm thinking of driving the TDI over the next year or two, but with the new Golf Wagon coming out in TSI and TDI, I may cut that short and opt for the gas engine. TBD

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Yes, I have the TDI, but I think it's good but doesn't knock my socks off. I get good mpg... probably around 41 to 42 mixed overall since getting it. I test drove the TSI and was impressed but couldn't find it decently equipped with a stick. I'm thinking of driving the TDI over the next year or two, but with the new Golf Wagon coming out in TSI and TDI, I may cut that short and opt for the gas engine. TBD
Sounds like you already have your mind made up. Fowvay spelled it all out for you. What would you like the rest of us to help you with?

Last edited:

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
I test drove them both back to back also. TDI definitely took the win there. Funny thing is I stalled the TDI twice taking off in first. The 1.8 gave me no problem. Don't think I've ever stalled taking off in 1st in my old beast...... never!

Aztraveler

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold 2014 Jetta back to VW in 2016. In Oct 2020 Bought 2015 Passat TDI SE CPO
TDI'S have a fuel cut off if the rpm's drop below a number. This makes them easy to stall until you get used to it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Did you look at the Jetta Hybrid??? I get better mileage than I got with my Sportwagen and it has good power!! Love the 7 speed DSG

crewcabrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI SEL
I bought the 1.8TSI. The numbers don't work favorable for the TDI in my area since there is a 30-50 cent premium for diesel in my area. And even after adding 50% to my normal yearly milage numbers for driving, I couldn't make the differnece back on financing, additional fuel cost and the intial cost of the car.

The 1.8TSI has been performing well for me, but I drive pretty conservative so my mileage numbers are good. Someone that drives more spirited may want to look at the TDI. It seems they are more forgiving if you drive it like you stole it and still want good numbers in return.

Rob

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Jetta 1.8T SE is some $7K less expensive than the SE Hybrid. Hard to justify that price difference for maybe 10 MPG.

crewcabrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI SEL
It also kind of depends on how much you drive. I normally drive about 8000 miles a year, but now it looks like I might be driving three times that. For me, the numbers were still in favor of the 1.8TSI. The TDI cost more, the dealer was less interested on dealing on it, the financing option at time of purchase was 0% for 72 months on the TSI vs .9% for 60 months on the TDI and with the higher cost of fuel at every fill up, the TSI won my vote.

I am getting a lot better numbers with my TSI than reported by the EPA, but I suspect I would get higher numbers than EPA with teh TDI too. So I consider that a wash.

Rob

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
You can analyze this and make a choice, only to have the savings eliminated by changes in fuel prices, an unexpected repair, or a fall in trade-in value. Honestly the difference is small enough that fuel cost probably shouldn't be a decision-making factor.

crewcabrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI SEL
Yep, I would agree it shouldn't just come down to numbers either, but that is the most compelling argument.

I also considered the intangibles. I can get RUG at any station, I can't find diesel neraly as easy. Sure, I would learn the stations that offer it quickly, but when I travel outside the area then its a crap shoot. Also, every diesel pump I have seen/used has been black and gooey. Likewise, the ground near the pump is always an oil slick. A huge consideration is the fact I might give this car to my daughter in a few years, and I don't want to worry about her dealing with the diesel issue. I know, its not that big of a deal, but why run the risk.

Rob

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Sorry, but you're way over playing the fueling issue. I've been hearing people talk about this since the late 70s when I got my first diesel. I can recall having trouble finding diesel twice: once in San Francisco on a Sunday morning in 1978, and once two years ago on a Sunday Morning in Buffalo NY. I got off the highway to buy diesel because I didn't want to pay the price at the service areas on the Thruway, but it was there if I wanted. All service centers on interstates have to have diesel by law. Most have separate pumps for cars, which are clean. And I've never had trouble finding diesel when I travel. Sorry, but not a good reason by itself.

BUT, I will say that when I helped my own daughter buy a car last year, she said, "PLEASE, no diesel." So I guess I have to bow to your choice on that front.

crewcabrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI SEL
The last diesel I had was over 10 years ago. I got used to finding it on trips and around town. Wasn't that big of a deal and I was prepared for it all over again with this car. But when the MK6 platform offered the new engine, I decided to drive them back to back. For my driving, there wasn't much difference. I really wanted to buy the diesel, but it just didn't make sense on many levels for me.

After buying the TSI, I started making note of the places I fuel to see if they offer diesel. Half of my normal places do, and about half of those the area looked clean or as clean as the RUG filling areas.

Funny, I'm looking at the Audi Q5 diesel right now. I actually could use the oilburner torque for towning.

Rob

MartyG

TDI
Jetta MKVI
TDI all the way!

I picked up the TSI about 7 weeks ago and had nothing but problems with it. I had the automatic. It shifted too early and was very luggy due to the gearing that enabled it to get decent gas mileage. After a few weeks of negotiations with VWoA and the dealership I swapped out into a TDI and coudn't be any happpier. The TDI is more money up front but worth more money down the road. The TSI can take 87 octane gas but that's only .25 cents cheaper than diesel around here. The DSG transmission drives like a dream in my opinion and the torque in the TDI is worth every penny!!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Couple of things. The TDI is going to get better miliage then 34 mpg, that number is crazy low. Second the last couple of 1.8 that I owned all ran on premium fuel. Did that change somewhere?
Really?/ I owned my Ex 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6 speed manual for 3 years and 61 thousand miles......the lifetime average for the car was 33.8 MPG!! best ever was 47 and got as low as 27 MPG My daily commute is 3 miles 1 way.....My Hybrid now has 28000 miles in 15 months and lifetime average is 38.1 and it could get a lot better if I drove just a little differently......NOT and I have always been a HYBRID HATER!! still hate them!! except the Jetta! Price wasn't a consideration when purchased this car I love the Headlights and Taillights and climatronic and Fender stereo and backup camera which I could not get on a TDI waiting for the EA288 Golf Wagon.....but it will a deal breaker with no HIDS.....

MartyG

TDI
Jetta MKVI
The 1.8T introduced this year is a new engine. Runs on regular.
Unless you're at high altitude like me. 85 is regular around here and 87 is mid-grade. That's why the price of diesel isn't that big of a deal in comparison. The TSI requires 87 (most other parts of the country that's considered regular) which is only .25 cents less than diesel.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Unless you're at high altitude like me. 85 is regular around here and 87 is mid-grade.
What's up with that? Why would the octane rating be different at high altitudes? And do cars' requirements for octane change as well: i.e will a car that requires 87 at low altitudes require 85 at high altitudes? If it's only that the altitude affects the octane measurement, it should follow that it would affect the car's requirement similarly. If so, you could still run the TSI on regular.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
I am confused you racked up 61,000 in three years and your commute was 3 miles one way???? If your driving 3 miles each way a TDI is not gonna have great mileage. I get about 42 MPG but I do a ton of highway say about 80% and I have a DSG. I drive it fast and do not baby the car for mileage.

Really?/ I owned my Ex 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6 speed manual for 3 years and 61 thousand miles......the lifetime average for the car was 33.8 MPG!! best ever was 47 and got as low as 27 MPG My daily commute is 3 miles 1 way.....My Hybrid now has 28000 miles in 15 months and lifetime average is 38.1 and it could get a lot better if I drove just a little differently......NOT and I have always been a HYBRID HATER!! still hate them!! except the Jetta! Price wasn't a consideration when purchased this car I love the Headlights and Taillights and climatronic and Fender stereo and backup camera which I could not get on a TDI waiting for the EA288 Golf Wagon.....but it will a deal breaker with no HIDS.....

Pogi

TDI
2014 Jetta
I am confused you racked up 61,000 in three years and your commute was 3 miles one way???? If your driving 3 miles each way a TDI is not gonna have great mileage. I get about 42 MPG but I do a ton of highway say about 80% and I have a DSG. I drive it fast and do not baby the car for mileage.
I have a very hard time believing it also, 6x365=2190 miles a year x 3 = 6570 total milage, I think your off a little bud.... And even so my commute to my house from work is 1.3 miles, and i still am able to average 36MPG just going there and back everyday... The moment the engine warms up im at 40MPG anywhere, on highways im at 48-50.....

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
So are you suggesting I am a liar? Lol.....I don't only drive those 6 miles a day
I run errands to do trips several times a year and this is the only reason I got to this average......it would have been lower......The guy I sold the car to has told me he gets similar mileage .......Don't get me wrong I loved that car and wouldn't have sold it but couldn't afford to finance 2 waiting for the new Sportwagen now......we will see

FYI since 1999 I have owned 9 TDI's .......and none ever averaged what most folks here suggest.....the Hybrid is rated 42 45 48 and you see my average on it .
These figures came directly from Fuelly and are correct.....I do a lot of stop and go in town however I take trips also and the car had a hard time doing more that 43-45 on trips best ever was 47 asI stated before I do not HYPERMILE !
I usually drive 5-10 over or keep up :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Pogi

TDI
2014 Jetta
It has to be way you drive then, cause my TDI is beating your hybrid MPG.... I work at a dealership and have seen a lot of TDI's come in, they all are 40+ on then MPG according to the car computer

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It has to be way you drive then, cause my TDI is beating your hybrid MPG.... I work at a dealership and have seen a lot of TDI's come in, they all are 40+ on then MPG according to the car computer
Fuelly would have me believe that what you're seeing on your customers' computers is not typical or representative of the larger population.

The following information is for Jetta TDIs...

2014: 114 TDIs, 38.3 MPG average
2013: 603 TDIs, 38.5 MPG average
2012: 699 TDIs, 38.6 MPG average
2011: 593 TDIs, 37.9 MPG average
2010: 673 TDIs, 38.6 MPG average
2009: 530 TDIs, 37.7 MPG average

Not until <2006 do the average numbers on Fuelly increase to 40 MPG or above.

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Fuelly would have me believe that what you're seeing on your customers' computers is incorrect.
The following information is for Jetta TDIs...
2014: 114 TDIs, 38.3 MPG average
2013: 603 TDIs, 38.5 MPG average
2012: 699 TDIs, 38.6 MPG average
2011: 593 TDIs, 37.9 MPG average
2010: 673 TDIs, 38.6 MPG average
2009: 530 TDIs, 37.7 MPG average
Not until <2006 do the average numbers on Fuelly increase to 40 MPG or above.
Thanks Lawson! :eek: