16 Jetta TSI

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
These can only slide in 1 way from what I've tried,Peter. Good news-I did find some aftermarket blades that are pretty close,but do have a little side to side inside the arm holder,but are locked in place.They are the Rain-X Expert fit ones,Wal Mart has them for $9.94 each. They have a -1 or a -2 after the length,I went with a 21-2 and a 17-2,there was no 18-2,just an 18-1.The only modification I needed was a little pc. of plastic that prevented it from sliding in holder-easily remedied w/ a razor knife... They do clear plenty for my liking,just not happy w/passenger side arm. I'm thinking of doing an experiment w/that one-the wiper is way too high on that arm-if I can remove the blade holder and cut 3" off the arm and re-install the holder,the 19 inch or maybe a little longer would clear more of the bottom part of windshield off.

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
We had our first big snow/ice storm, and I got to drive the Jetta through it. The last few days have been solid packed snow/ice on the road (about an inch thick), and its done amazingly well. Traction control really kills the power, but it does help you to accelerate at the maximum possible rate, instead of just a bunch of wheelspin. The stock tires did fine, IMO. Taking off from stop signs did involve a lot of wheelspin, but again TCS helped there. Fuel mileage really took a dump, but I was driving slower than normal, and letting the car heat up to clear the windshield. Car never got squirrely on me, even when driving in some decent sized ruts. I felt much more comfortable driving it then my truck, but we all know trucks suck in the ice with no weight in the bed.

Sitting at 15K

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Stupid me-the 21" clears plenty along w/ 17"-there only is a couple inch uncleared section on bottom of windshield-if I went back to the 24" it probably would be totally clear.I'll save the 24" blade I bought for summer weather. I'm averaging around 36mpg last few tanks in the cold w/ snow tires.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've been searching for some 15" alloys to use for summer tires,as I would swap the ones on steel rims over. However,after months of searching,I was about to get some 16" Velox rims (gunmetal color)from PepBoys,as they were on sale buy 3 get 1 free,was still going to be around $400,then I'd have to get new tires at around another $500. Then I had been watching some rims on ebay-I ended up buying. It was a set of 4 VW 15" Lyon rims w/ Bridgestone Ecopias on them(same as mine) that were takeoffs w/ only 200 miles on them:D-$499 w/ free shipping! Now that aside, last few days when I let off clutch in reverse it's making an odd noise. Not sure how to describe noise-seems to happen more I think when tranny is cold.I'll have to do some backing up in a big empty lot to see if I can see if it'll do noise consistently or not before contacting dealer-you know how Murphy's Law is.......

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My tires and rims arrived via Fed Ex Saturday! One rim has some minor scratches,but all they need is a bath and they'll be ready for spring. They even came w/ new centercaps and lug bolts. As far as that noise goes,it really hasn't happened more,but maybe the noise I hear is when I put on the brakes in reverse-probably the rotors.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I went to get my winter tires rotated at dealer today(they have free luncheons on Saturdays). My service advisor came out to lounge to let me know it was done,then told me it was no charge,which surprised me,as I was expecting to pay for the rotation. While I was waiting,walked through showroom-black Alltrack on the floor,but it had sold sign in it. I only saw 1 red TDI out in front today w/not for sale tag hanging in window. I now have over 15k on it now.I'm looking for some leather seats for it,not fond of the cloth.I should've bought the full set I made an offer on last week,if it comes up again I will.My Fuelly avg finally went below 40mpg after last fillup.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Going in for the 20k service,and will check to see if body shop can give me an estimate also,thanks to Delta Sonic.I decided to go through the Delta Sonic on Wed.(car wash). Get to end of conveyor and their "automatic" door was stuck 1/2 way up.SUV in front of me drove through,conveyor stopped,attendant told me to wait,then disappeared. I did,until the conveyor started to move again.If I didn't move,car behind me would've hit me if I didn't go.The vinyl door w/ the padded bottom kindly went over my hood,windshield,roof,rear window and trunk. I decided to take a look. Scratches in clearcoat on hood,roof,and trunk lid,and a couple marks on windshield that haven't come off(might be scratched also):mad::mad::mad:-another guy in a dk. brown Cruze had same damage,we both filled out claim forms and I'm still waiting to get a call-manager said 3-5 business days. There were other ones that didn't stop and check their vehicles:eek:

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Yeah mine suffered a minor ding this winter. Backed over a mound of frozen gravel, hidden under snow thanks to our garbage truck driver. Bent the drivers side rear mudflap enough to break some mounts for the rear bumper.

I think we have 18,500 on it now. I stopped DD it when I got my 04 back on the road, about 5K ago. Average FE over that course for me was 39.9 MPG's. High of 46.4 (all highway cruise at 75 mph full AC), low of 26.9 (ALL city full AC).

My family is getting larger now, so this one is going to be sold off in the next month or so. It was a good car and I would buy another again for a cheap commuter.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well,the "detail job" at Delta Sonic didn't do jack sh*t for the marks and scratches in the hood,windshield,roof,and trunk lid. Estimate from dealer was just over $2k. Now I need to see what the next move is.....

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
Oh man how I wish that was true! The 1.4 pulls really nice and would be so nice in a Golf...
Awesome! While I will certainly miss the "2-point-slow" that the 1.4L replaced due to its ruggedness and simplicity, it could never match the performance and fuel economy of the new 1.4L. I wish they'd offer that engine in a stripper Golf.
Hope to see how it holds up over time, thanks for posting. What kind of RPM does it turn at what speeds on the highway?

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Oh man how I wish that was true! The 1.4 pulls really nice and would be so nice in a Golf...
Agree! I drove the 122 hp version in a Mk VI Golf a fair bit in the UK 5 years ago and it was a blast. The 150 hp version must be even better. The 122 hp had 148 lb-ft of torque whereas the 150 has 185 lb-ft.

I have the 1.8 TSI in my '16 Golf but if the 1.4 had been available with a reasonable level of kit (i.e. the same car as I have now), I would have selected it in a heartbeat. I already get pretty good fuel consumption in my 1.8, the 1.4 is even better. It would have gone farther to mitigate the loss of my TDI.

My Golf is a base model but has just about everything I could possibly want: air, cruise, Apple CarPlay (which is better than the in-dash GPS on my prior Mk VI), back-up camera, and all the usual standard VW bells and whistles.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hudson Valley VW has 2 manual '16 Jettas left in stock- a cardinal red S for $16,100 after discount or a white SE for $16,500. I called the car wash place today to see if any progress on claim. They told me their 2 preferred shops,or I could have a $1500 gift card from them. If I didn't have a loan on car I'd take the gift card,but I told them I need it fixed properly. Now time to get an estimate from their preferred shop and one near me that has loaner cars when yours gets fixed.....

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dropped the car off Mon. morning for the paint fix(finally). I got a call this morning saying it was done.They weren't able to remove the small scratch from windshield,so they let Delta Sonic know the windshield needs to be replaced. I'm wondering if I should just leave the windshield as it is and see if they'd give me a gift card instead of replacing windshield. I just hate to replace the windshield then end up w/ more problems down the road due to a bad install that isn't noticeable at first(leaks,rust,etc....).

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
Reached 10,000 miles today on the 2016 Jetta 1.8t Sport after 6.5 months of ownership and performed first oil change. I've average 34.6 mpg over that distance. However my best tank mpg hasn't quite equaled my worst tank mpg on my 2001 Jetta TDI. I enjoy driving this car - far more refined and quieter than the '01. So far I replaced the door speakers with Soumatrix Xtase and I swapped the side view mirrors with those from a 2014 Jetta SE. Now I have turn signals in the mirrors. I also added LED interior and trunk lights. Boy are they bright. I'd like to replace the A pillar tweeters and upgrade the rear view mirror to a self dimming one with home link. I'd also like to add a rear fog but that appears expensive. Tuning this car would really bring the engine to life but I don't want the mpg hit or face upgrading the clutch. Overall I'm pleased with this model Jetta.:)

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well,I traded it in on 5/16/17 toward a "new" 2015 Silk Blue GSW TDI:cool:. I was extremely happy with the 1.4, but missed having a TDI. No issues whatsoever on VW's end with car.I still need to plug my last couple tanks into Fuelly to see what my overall mpg was over the 10 months I had it. I put just over 25k on it.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I think we have 18,500 on it now.......... Average FE over that course for me was 39.9 MPG's. High of 46.4 (all highway cruise at 75 mph full AC), low of 26.9 (ALL city full AC).

It was a good car and I would buy another again for a cheap commuter.

46.4 all highway @75 with ac is big time impressive to this sailor.

If that is miles driven by gallons used, I don't think too many can beat that (over on Fuelly.com is where I'm looking - - in addition to here and VW Vortex)...........

ez

Last edited:

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
46.4 all highway @75 with ac is big time impressive to this sailor.

If that is miles driven by gallons used, I don't think too many can beat that (over on Fuelly.com is where I'm looking - - in addition to here and VW Vortex)...........

ez
That is impressive, any new updates?

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
That is impressive, any new updates?
One update: 2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M now in my garage.

2013 - despite my old signature(s) - has returned to VW.

The 1.4 sure gets good Fuelly numbers. Hope I do too.

all the best from ez on our west coast

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Hey EZShift5, I'm really torn on what to do, so are you happy on your new Jetta compared to the TDI. My 2011 TDI 6sp manual has been one great car but getting close to 150 k mark so the buy back is tempting. How is your hill climbing in the 1.4t and any mpg data yet? Thanks.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey EZShift5.... How is your hill climbing in the 1.4t and any mpg data yet? Thanks.
Have yet to drive eastward over the Sierra Nevada to Reno (so no real opinion on hill or mountain performance).

Fuelly has data for 2017/2016 Jetta 1.4 turbo MPG.

Now is certainly the right time to purchase!

(I feel like I stole the car)

best, ez

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Hey EZShift5, I'm really torn on what to do, so are you happy on your new Jetta compared to the TDI. My 2011 TDI 6sp manual has been one great car but getting close to 150 k mark so the buy back is tempting. How is your hill climbing in the 1.4t and any mpg data yet? Thanks.
Well, it has the same power as a 2.0 CR TDI, and more torque than a 2006 PD TDI at a similar low starting RPM.

So I would guess that the hill climbing is as good or better than any pre-Common rail TDI.

My 1.8 TSI has the same torque as the 1.4 TSI (mine is manual, the automatics are even better at 200 lb-ft), but more hp (170 hp) and does great, little or no need to downshift.

My last tank showed 5.7 L/100 km on the MFD, and 5.65 hand-calculated (I adjusted my MFD scaling factor with VCDS and now my fuel consumption on the MFD is accurate).

My previous TDI would average 5.0 L/100 km in the same conditions, so I am quite pleased. The 1.4 should be able to do even better than the 1.8.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
My last tank showed 5.7 L/100 km on the MFD, and 5.65 hand-calculated (I adjusted my MFD scaling factor with VCDS and now my fuel consumption on the MFD is accurate).
My previous TDI would average 5.0 L/100 km in the same conditions, so I am quite pleased. The 1.4 should be able to do even better than the 1.8.
Which vehicle calc'd 5.65? (That's about 50 MPG)....................
ez

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Which vehicle calc'd 5.65? (That's about 50 MPG)....................
ez
Golf hatch, 1.8 TSI. My wife's new wagon, driven the same way, is about 0.4 L/100 km higher. I attribute that to several factors: not broken in, 16" vs 15" tires on the hatch, and slightly larger and heavier car.

To put things in perspective, the fuel economy of my Golf TSI is better than our 2.0 PD Passat TDI ever was. It would average about 6.5 and you had to work at it to get 5.7 on the highway, though I saw as low as 5.4 on a long highway drive at the speed limit.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
Very impressive for a 1.8 hombre. Well Done.

ez

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Very impressive for a 1.8 hombre. Well Done.
ez
Mostly achieved by driving on 80-90 km/h rural roads, and a bit of autoroute, where I keep it to 105 km/h max except to overtake. Plus anticipating lights, coasting to stops, and the like.

Go above 105 and consumption starts to rise. Most of my drives on the autoroute are about 90-100 km, so no real percentage time-wise, point-to-point, in going faster but significant percentage at the pump. You can bank money, but not time so a minute or two saved on a trip really doesn't add much to one's life ;)

In Quebec, the truck traffic is governed to 105 km/h (trucks must have speed limiting devices), so that allows me to find a good slot between trucks in the right lane, only needing to overtake the odd slowpoke or truck governed to 90 (there are some). Much less stressful than playing cat-and-mouse at 120 in the fast lane like most folks do.

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Well, it has the same power as a 2.0 CR TDI, and more torque than a 2006 PD TDI at a similar low starting RPM.
So I would guess that the hill climbing is as good or better than any pre-Common rail TDI.
My 1.8 TSI has the same torque as the 1.4 TSI (mine is manual, the automatics are even better at 200 lb-ft), but more hp (170 hp) and does great, little or no need to downshift.
While it does have great low end torque, below 1400 RPM's the TDI is much stronger, especially on take off. Slipping the clutch in the TSI took throttle input to not stall, while the TDI really doesnt. I would attribute that probably to the inertia of the TDI's internals vs the gasser.

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Has anyone heard of tunes that don't necessitate using 91 octane? Would be nice to get a little better fuel consumption or something

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Most recent tank, 5.85 L/100, a little higher than MFD (5.7 again), I had one tank somewhat lower than MFD (5.4 vs 5.7), and the above mentioned tank spot-on. so it's averaging out pretty close to MFD. No complaints with those numbers. Variation is probably from the pump shut-off point. I most often fill from the same pump at the same station, but I don't think the shut-off is an exact science yet...

1.4 will be better. As for the torque question, I can't say I feel a whole lot of difference off the line. Once it's up to 1500 rpm it takes off.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I have a 1.4 Jetta TSI for a loaner while my TDI is getting its emissions fix and I must say I'm surprised how much I like this engine. The torque is impressive and the ride and handling very good. On my daily 50 mile freeway drive I'm getting in 40 to 44 mpg range (computer of course, but close enough). The car handles nicely -- quick acceleration, solid steering, and takes the curves almost as good as my 2009 TDI. The interior quality is on the cheap side but well designed and better than many of the other cars I've rented in this price category. I wonder if there will be any long term maintenance issues with this engine.

Last edited: