Anyone got an intake throttle flap motor?

manics01

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
I know of people have done PD130 and PD150 intake swaps and was wondering if anyone has got a working intake flap motor laying around that I could buy. I know that ECS has a big sale on BRM intake throttles ... Anyone knows if the flap motors used in BEW PDs are the same as in BRMs?
Thanks!

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Did the gears in yours strip out too? Mine did two days ago. If you can't find a used one, you can buy a new one from 1stvwparts.com for $351. That's a lot of $, but still better than the $550 my local dealer wanted.

This is the part number for the BEW intake flap assembly:

038128063L

I do not know if the BRM uses the same one.

--Nate

manics01

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
flap motor

apparently my gears are good but it's the motor that's bad... ECS has a $300 throttle assembly for the BRM on sale under Jetta IV for some reason for only $47 ... and I was thinking may be to source the flap motor from there (but like everything it will probably be different :)

anyway, here's the link:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_IV--TDI/Search/Clearance/ES475916/

Anyone got a good flap motor or throttle assembly they have no need for after a 150PD conversion?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Thanks for the link. This is a different part number than the one for the BEW. According to the 1stvwparts.com lookup, this part number supplied by ESC (03G128063A) superceded to a new number, 03G128063G. The part ECS shows is made by VDO, whereas the one for the BEW is made by Pierburg, although this may not matter.

List price for 03G128063G is $300 and "your price" is $219, according to 1stvw. Will it physically fit and work on a BEW? I have no idea.

As for swapping the electric motors, with the manufactures being different, I doubt that the motors are the same. That link I posted below states Pierburg makes their own electric motors for their throttle bodies. And the Pierburg throttle body on the BEW is pressed together, not screwed together, like the VDO one pictured on the ECS web site. You would have to figure out how to physically get it open. Perhaps you could bend the crimp.

If the motor does not work, try opening it up and seeing if you can fix it. Either re-cripm the case or use a dremil tool and carefully cut the cover off and use aluminum duct tape to secure the cover if you can fix it.

Here is a useful link about the inner workings of the Pierburg diesel throttle body used on the BEW:

http://www.kspg-ag.de/pdfdoc/kspg_produktbroschueren/p_drosselklappe_e.pdf

038128063L, for the BEW, lists for $400 and is $351 from 1stVWparts.com. It is too bad ECS tuning does not have those.

--Nate

Last edited:

manics01

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
flap motor

Thanks for your insight! Yepp, BRM motor would probably be different. So then there are three options I see that could be explored :)
1. get a used throttle assembly (from a junk yard or from people that took them out to get the PD150 stuff in)
2. checking if the BRM throttle assembly fits and would work on a BEW
3. trying to repair the motor

I'm definitely not buying a $400 new part :)
I drove with the CEL because of the flap just fine for the last 60K so I could probably do another 60K without changing it, it's just that the CEL is annoying...
Fixing the motor would require me paying someone to do that and that would be like venturing into unknown waters and buying the BRM one just to try it on is similar in scope. Hence, one thing remains - buying a used but good working throttle assembly for the BEW. Anyone got one and would like to sell it?

Moonlight

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 NB , 2001 Golf GL
Better yet take the intake manifold apart and remove the little butterfly valves entirely. My wife's 04 NB PD managed to eat one of those not once, but twice. The cause of the engine carnag wasn't known until the intake manifold was taken apart after the 2nd time when 2 of the valves were noticed missing ... The first time no sign of what caused the carnage in cyl. #1, dealer contributed it to a broken glow plug ...2nd time it happened at 108K miles and were out of warranty but found the valve stuck in the top of piston #4. Needless to say her car is on it's 3rd engine all thanks due to the intake EGR butterfly valves. The entire story is on here somewhere ... I don't like to re-live it :)