Upgrade front sway bar question - Lifted Wagen

Aquaticmind

Veteran Member
Wheeling, WV via Athens Georgia via, Bainbridge Is
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Moved from TDI 101

Hi folks,

I've been running around with a lifted 03 Wagen for years. I have a 22mm HR rear sway bar on it and while I had thought about upgrading the front sway bar years ago, I had never really needed to not gotten around to it.

Now I live in WV and my drive to work is on a windy 2 lane road, which has made it abundantly clear that I need a stiffer front sway bar.

Any suggestions on what size front sway bar to go with be helpful? Would an aftermarket 22mm Einbach be good or would it only be worth it if I went with something like a 26" H&R.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I drive down dirt roads on a regular basis for camping and what not, but mostly its a commuter car.

Cheers

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
I can't speak to the sway bars, but I may suggest another alternative. Audi TT lower control arms and hubs will allow you to dial in more negative camber. I did that on my Golf and I'm very happy with the results. Tires also make a big difference, as do struts, springs, bushings, etc. If you really want to go all out, fit a limited slip. That makes a world of difference, all of it good!

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
I'm already running the TT bushing and I'm not sure a LSD would make the difference in body roll going around corners.
TT bushings are not the same as TT lower control arms & hubs. Instead of using a rear sway bar reduce understeer, try to increase front grip and then add the rear sway if needed. The LSD may not help body roll, but makes a huge difference in handling and when you can get on the power. I think once you add the LSD you will be pleasantly surprised.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Aquatic,

Like Bobby, I highly recommend the LSD, especially if you're gonna' be tackling twisty, snowy, roads. An expensive option,
but I guarantee you'll never look back once you've got one.
I strongly advise doing that before anything else.

I'm contemplating upgrading my front sway bar, and installing a rear. But I'm looking at those to firm up the car for towing. Got the pair cheap from somebody cleaning out their garage. If I don't like 'em, I'll pull 'em off.

I'm happy with my current setup, offset spacers, rear Koni Reds dialed up 25%. Bushings are good condition stock. My mechanic reckons that you need a bit of give for comfort and stabilising the diesel vibrations. Good tires and alignment will go a looong way for front end driveability.

Read the "What is Handling" thread, lots of opinions and great advice. There is no magic fix, you have to pick and choose to
create a setup that works for your driving style, needs and conditions. You do have to be as objective as possible, and realistic
and aware, of what it is you're trying to achieve.

My $.02,
R*2

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I know we're talking front suspension bits here but I'm a total advocate of/for Cupra R rear axle bushings. I think that it makes the rear a lot tighter, thus reducing the transference of sloppiness to the front (the tail wagging the dog).