Spanner for union nut 3217

Big_Bizness

TDI
04 Silver GLS
Does anyone know where to get a tool to remove the union nut in short notice? I need to get one to change my lift pump (according to Bently), and I really dont want to order one online, cause it will take way too long to get here. Any other ways around this?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Others have posted that a large screwdriver pushing against one of the collar nubs works. I think one person used two big screwdrivers, 180 degrees apart doing this.

I'd try a 2X4 block of wood and a hammer with, "gentle, but persausive taps". I wonder if a strap or oil filter band wrench will fit on there.

Make sure you mark the orientation of the collar against the car body under the seat and note the orientation (rotation) of the old pump and install the new pump and collar in the same position.

--Nate

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Its good to know the wood trick works. My lift pump failed at 46,000 miles, stranding me. Car towed to VW and fixed under warranty.

I now cary a spare lift pump, a phillips screwdriver (for the the pump coverplate screws) and a block of wood in the trunk 9I figure I can find something roadside to smack the wood with). I'll be ready next time.

What mileage did your lift pump fail at? AND do you have a Catipilliar 2 micron fuel filter? I wonder if the CAT filter strains the pump more. I put my CAT filter on at 17,000 miles and was about ready to change the filter when the pump failed.

When I got the car back from the dealer, I replaced the filter and cut the old one open. It was black inside, but not more so than pictures that others have posted here of cut open CAT filters.

--Nate