Thermostat...OEM Vs Aftermarket

@Tdi VW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Pumpe Duse
Im about to change the thermostat on my B5 PD.
Should i get an OEM one or Aftermarket are ok too.
Thanks

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
YEs go with the one from the dealer...i have used 5 aftermarket ones....they never seem to let the engine run at optimum temp..I have one from the dealer now...worth every penny

Dr. Greenthumb

Veteran Member
TDI
05' Passat GLS 95' Merc E300D
I just installed one from Carquest (Carquest brand - not one they brought in from World Pac) and it is working fine. It was made in France.

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
I just installed one from Carquest (Carquest brand - not one they brought in from World Pac) and it is working fine. It was made in France.
I bought a few of those....they are the exact reason i went back to the dealer to buy one..I got sick of changing them every year due to slow warm-up/failing to maintain temperature.average temp with a aftermarket one in my car....75-83C...Now with the dealer supplied one i maintain 87-93C even on the coldest days.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If you can find one, Behr is who makes them for this application. Not Wahler (although VR6 stats are indeed made by Wahler).

I use the OEM ones from Volkswagen exclusively though.

Dr. Greenthumb

Veteran Member
TDI
05' Passat GLS 95' Merc E300D
I bought a few of those....they are the exact reason i went back to the dealer to buy one..I got sick of changing them every year due to slow warm-up/failing to maintain temperature.average temp with a aftermarket one in my car....75-83C...Now with the dealer supplied one i maintain 87-93C even on the coldest days.
Did they ever maintain temp or was it right from the start? It was 10F today and it took less than 5 minutes to get up to temp. Temp held w/o no problem.