01M hesitation into drive- how long can this go on?

rybot

TDI
2003 Jetta
Hi All,

Total Noob here. Just purchased a 2001 Jetta TDI AT with 155,00 miles, and have been going down the grocery list of items (timing belt, filters, oil etc) and just had my valve body replaced at German Transaxle (awesome bunch over there) which solved my rpm flux issues (TC unlocking and locking) but I still have a slow engagement into drive when shifting out of park. They told me it could be a start of the planetary gear going. All else shifts very fine, no metal in the pan etc...

My question: Anyone else just "living " with this problem, and if so how long? Not sure I can afford a full rebuild, but don't want to destroy the car/trans either.

Thanks All!

RB

2001 TDI JETTA 01M

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Hate to tell you that you will need a new Tranny. This is a common problem with this transmission and the only fix is NOT rebuilding it like you should be able to but to buy a new/rebuilt one form VW. This has been going on since we started buying the A-4 platform car. Also on the A-3 cars that my Mon had. She got sick with 150000 miles on her Auto and the car set all winter and which up till then had never had a problem, then my car was run off the road and I had to use her car which in that winter the weather was way below normal and the car would do just like yours is doing now. I did drive it for about 2 months but just as soon as I could get back into a 5 speed I sold the car. You would think after 16-20 years of the same flaw in their car VW would fix it. But just like the windows falling out and the MAFs failing both which took lawsuits to get repaired VW will not fix anything that they and other car makers can get away from. Maybe the lawsuit on the door locks / alarm till get out money back one of these days but I never expect to see anything on the transmission, way to much money if they can hold off, But then we keep driving the cars (s speed anyway) and I do not plan on getting rid out mine anytime soon when I can get over 55 MPG.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
delayed engagment is common. If it goes into gear then just ignore it and keep driving it. It you have to give it some gas to make it engage into gear then you should probably repair it as soon as you can.

Note: Make sure the trans is full of fluid.

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
Mine has been doing this for 100K and hasn't changed. And the valve body is not your problem so, don't try one.

rybot

TDI
2003 Jetta
Thanks all-
It does go into gear after about 4 seconds, sooner if I give it the gas. I replaced the valve body to solve a different issue with the TC coming unlocked at highway speed. So I guess I will think on this, weigh my options on if 3k for the rebuild is worth the car which I have 6k into.

acesneights

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI auto 2dr
Its worth it lol. Mine does the same thing but after its hot. Im gonna change the filter next weekend. Inassume the tranny fluid and filter are vw only ?

timothyn

TDI
jetta,2001,blue
CoolAirVw I have the same problem. give it gas goes in gear. reverse goes in very hard. Is there anything to check? Or do you know any good guys in and around Toronto?

acesneights

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI auto 2dr
CoolAirVw I have the same problem. give it gas goes in gear. reverse goes in very hard. Is there anything to check? Or do you know any good guys in and around Toronto?
Try giving it fuel instead...lol:D
Sorry could not resist...Diesel Humor...:):)

MotorCityMadman

Veteran Member
TDI
By proxy: 98 Beetle tdi, 01 Golf tdi, 03 Jetta tdi, 03Golf tdi
So if it is not a valvebody issue then what is the cause?

Old thread, I know, still interested.

Mine has been doing this for 100K and hasn't changed. And the valve body is not your problem so, don't try one.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Mine also has been doing it for 100k. Regular fluid and filter changes and replaced TC at 129k for a flywheel issue

MotorCityMadman

Veteran Member
TDI
By proxy: 98 Beetle tdi, 01 Golf tdi, 03 Jetta tdi, 03Golf tdi
So, a seal issue or just overall wear on the case and components? And not a vb issue as stated above?

rybot

TDI
2003 Jetta
Inspection by German Transaxle indicated bad planetary...which produces symptoms of delayed engagement. Rebuild in future $uggested. UGH!

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
So, a seal issue or just overall wear on the case and components? And not a vb issue as stated above?
First of all there would be no way of knowing if it was in the trans or in the valve body, but experience has shown its always in the trans.

Its not as simple as a seal issue. There are bushings in the trans that seal pressure just like rod and main bearings seal oil pressure in the engine, so it could be as simple as a "seal issue" but honestly thats never the case. Pistons can delaminate and loose pressure, bushings wearout and make the sealing rings wear or the surfaces that the sealing rings ride on wears.

point being, hydraulic pressure loss will usually require rebuild. If you go in a put sealing rings in, you could be pulling it out later to replace the parts the sealing rings ride on. If you pull it apart and just put a piston in it, then you could be pulling it apart again to replace the sealing rings and the parts they ride on. ect, ect, ect If you go in and replace everything then basically thats a rebuild.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
You may need a planet. And you may have delayed engagement.

But a planet wont make delayed engagement. Planetary is short for planetary gear (or even more accurately is planetary gear set). The only symptom a "gear" or "gear set" will make is noise. Right up until the metal from the failing planet starts clogging off the filter or makes the trans bind up and quit moving.

Delayed engagement is usually pressure loss.

Inspection by German Transaxle indicated bad planetary...which produces symptoms of delayed engagement. Rebuild in future $uggested. UGH!

Tsagoth

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Automatic
The brand new VW 01M reman I had installed 100K miles ago has had delayed engagement to D since day one. The worst actually seems to be R -> D which can take almost five seconds. Other times it's instantaneous.

Just drive it until it quits.

LA_VW

TDI
2003 Golf TDI Automatic
My .02: sounds like you don't have much to lose by dumping a bottle of Lucas Tranny Fix in there. Won't "fix" the problem but from the reviews you should be able to get a bunch more miles before replacing your tranny?

Moesauction!

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2001 tdi 423,000 sold:[ , 2003 tdi 425,000 lower ryder hot rod 17/22 520rc southbend clutch. 2005 mercedes cdi 232,000 sold , 2003 7.3 ford 586,000 miles.
The brand new VW 01M reman I had installed 100K miles ago has had delayed engagement to D since day one. The worst actually seems to be R -> D which can take almost five seconds. Other times it's instantaneous.
Just drive it until it quits.

how long did your rebuilt one last? And who did rebuild so the rest of us can stay away from them!! thanks!!