• The TDIClub classifieds section is a heavily trafficked section of the forum that encompasses want-to-buy (WTB) and for-sale (FS) threads for the entire world. Due to the demanding nature and fast pace of this section, it is imperative that you know and understand the rules. It is also important to remember that this is the only parts classifieds section.

Cross-posting and posting classifieds in the regional sections (except the dedicated thread in Ontario) is not permitted.

Multiple items should be sold in one thread. Make sure to provide a description for all items in your post along with pictures and prices. If you start multiple threads with individual items, they will be locked or combined at the discretion of the moderators.

Here is a quick outline of the classifieds section rules. If you don't follow these rules, you subject yourself to thread deletion, thread combination, infractions, or posting privilege revocation.

Thread titles:
    • Put FS or WTB in your thread title. This will let other users know if you are selling or buying.
    • Briefly describe what you are selling. Thread titles have limited space. Be as descriptive, yet succinct, as possible.
    • Put your location in the title.
    • If space allows, put your price in the title

Title example (single item): "FS: 2004 Mk4/BEW cylinder head - Portland, OR - $500"
    Title example (multiple items): "FS: MK6 fog lights, front bumper, headlights, grill - Detroit, MI"
    Title example (car part-out): "FS: Mk3 Jetta parting out engine & interior - Dallas, TX"

Thread text descriptions and pictures:
    • All for-sale threads must include pictures of the items that you are selling. One picture is sufficient, but multiple pictures with different angles will help buyers. A picture is worth a thousand words. If you don't know how to post pictures on TDIClub, see this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=286691
    • All for-sale threads must include a description. We don't charge per-word, so be as descriptive as possible. The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for buyers.
    • All for-sale threads must include a price. Auctions and bidding are not allowed. If you want to auction something off, use eBay.
    No picture, no price, NO SALE!

Thread maintenance/updates/bumps:
    • When you sell something, update your thread with "SOLD!" Moderators will close the thread and update the title.
    • If you have multiple items for sale, update your thread as each item has been sold. When everything has been sold, updated the thread with "ALL ITEMS SOLD!" Moderators will close the thread and update the title when all items have been sold.
    • If you bump your thread, please delete old bumps by clicking on EDIT and then deleting the old bump. This will reduce clutter in your thread and make it easier to read. It also makes you look less desperate.
    • If you drop your price, please update your first post in addition to posting the new price. If you would like the thread title changed, click on the report post icon and let a moderator know what you would like the title changed to.

Moderator intervention and infraction points:
    Moderators will be monitoring the classifieds section. If a moderator determines that you have not been following the rules listed above, corrections will be made and infraction points will be assessed to your account.

What is an infraction point? Simple - it's a system of keeping track of user behavior. A moderator can assign a point value based on the severity of the infraction, as well as an expiration date on the points assessed. If you accumulate a certain number of points, the system will auto-ban you for a predefined amount of time. The more points you accumulate, the longer your ban period will be.

One example of points is as follows: multiple threads will be combined into a single thread, with the number of infraction points assessed corresponding to the number of threads merged. If we merge four threads into one, then you will be assessed four points that expire in 30 days. When you reach five points, the system will auto-ban you for one day.*

*This is an example based on the current infraction system structure. We reserve the right to modify the infraction system at any time without notice or updates to this announcement.

Thank you for your cooperation, and good luck with your sales and searches! :)

-TDIClub Administration

87 mercedes 300 SDL for sale

cummins

I have a 87 300 SDL for sale, beautiful silver body with blue leather. This is the last of the real big body mercedes. Built like a tank. It just turned 180,000 miles and runs like new. burns no oil between changes. The car runs very strong and is quite powerful for a diesel. My parents own a 91 2.5 turbo and even though my car is bigger and heavier it has no problem leaving their car behind. I recently had a loss in power while I was coming home one night, felt like the exhaust was plugged. I took it to the mercedes dealer and that is just what it was. The trap oxidizer was plugged, so at no charge they relaced the trap, turbo, downpipe and exhaust. Also checked pump timing and everything else. They gave me all the papers to keep because the warranty is good forever on those parts. I put on a set of Dunlop sports about 5,000 miles ago. I also did a mufflerectomy as well, what a difference. Now once the revs come up it sounds like a straight six jaguar! Even has power rear seat. Just e-mail me if you would like pictures. I'm asking $7500 or B/O I'm located in southern VT

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
cummins, please post pictures. I really want to see it. I'm not in the market for another car right now, but a 300SDL would definitely be an awesome car for the money.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Ok, David sent me pictures of the car, here they are for everyone to see.

It's a beautiful car if I do say so myself.

[ September 08, 2002, 10:45: Message edited by: VeeDubTDI ]

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
Do you need to sell it right now? If your willing to wait until mid november, I'll give you a 25% deposit... Let me know

cummins

The big benz gets around 27 around town and 30 or so on the highway. I am selling it to buy a golf tdi that I have wanted forever. My parents have had 5 mercedes and myself 2, time to try something new, even though I will miss this car, especially the 245 lb ft of torque and the sound!

David Bruckmann

Veteran Member
Toronto. 02 Golf, 84 Mercedes-Benz 300TD, 76 Citro
TDI
Golf 2002 Mojave Beige
You may be about to make a big mistake. If I could go back to my W123 I would do so in a second; I can't IMAGINE giving up an SDL for a TDI puddlejumper. Too late now for me; I've got the TDI, and it sure is no MB. As soon as it's largely paid for I'm trading back to a W123 or W126!

Originally posted by cummins:
The big benz gets around 27 around town and 30 or so on the highway. I am selling it to buy a golf tdi that I have wanted forever. My parents have had 5 mercedes and myself 2, time to try something new, even though I will miss this car, especially the 245 lb ft of torque and the sound!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

DSLPWR

Veteran Member
All,

Yeah, this car is off the market.

Saw it. Checked it. Drove it. Bought it. That puts the count up to three; 2 MB's and one VW. Next stop, the first classic. See you in about 2 years...

DSLPWR

1981 VW Rabbit Diesel (149k miles)
1987 MB 190D 2.5 Turbo (127k miles)
1987 MB 300SDL (181k miles)

David Bruckmann

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Mojave Beige
Originally posted by DSLPWR:
Saw it. Checked it. Drove it. Bought it. That puts the count up to three; 2 MB's and one VW. Next stop, the first classic.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Too late! The SDL is already a classic! Have you seen the production numbers... a rare bird with fewer than 14,000 made in total. Congratulations and enjoy!

The W126 Page

[ September 21, 2002, 09:04: Message edited by: David Bruckmann ]

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
There's a somewhat pristine-looking 86 300SDL at EBAY right now. This car sold a few days ago for around $8K, but apparently something fell through. The W126s were so way ahead of their time, don't you think ?

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by spoilsport:
There's a somewhat pristine-looking 86 300SDL at EBAY right now. This car sold a few days ago for around $8K, but apparently something fell through. The W126s were so way ahead of their time, don't you think ?

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">She's beautiful. Too bad she's an automatic. Did MB ever offer a manual transmission turbo diesel?

DSLPWR

Veteran Member
SDL, Manual? Not. I can't confirm, but I doubt the SD/SDL's ever came with a standard shift transmission, even in Europe. Not at that luxury level.

Mercedes has offered manual transmission TD's, but very few, if any, made it to the USA. They would have to be W123, W201, W126, or most recent E-Class. The best would be a W201 190d 2.5 Turbo with a 5 speed manual. That would ROCK.

Spoilsport, I'd have to see that EBay car. Chromed wheels and wheel arches, dashpads, etc. seem askew and there's no picture of the engine...

DSLPWR

Hollywood

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat Sedan
My uncle has one. White, blue leather, 90,000 miles. No, he won't sell it. Don't think I would either, unless I could trade it for a wagon. Enjoy your new ride!

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Spoilsport, I'd have to see that EBay car. Chromed wheels and wheel arches, dashpads, etc. seem askew and there's no picture of the engine...

DSLPWR
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'd agree. You'll notice that they say the shot of the engine was inadvertantly left off, but you can email them for pics. It definitely looks like the LWB version, but could soemone have fit an OM-617 into it in some seemy past ?

For anyone thinking of buying an SDL, please note that they use a more powerful, and much more expensive 3.0L I-6 engine. The SD uses the same I-5 TurboDiesel engine as the various 300D Turbodiesels. Much easier to find, much less expensive to rebuild/replace.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Originally posted by ProjektZwoTDI:
She's beautiful. Too bad she's an automatic. Did MB ever offer a manual transmission turbo diesel?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They've got this 240D 4M at EBAY right now, but alas, it's normally aspirated and less than 70HP.

Go on over to EBAY to check it out!

As someone on these forums once said..it'll be the closest you can get to driving a tractor on US roads today!

[ September 22, 2002, 09:14: Message edited by: spoilsport ]

David Bruckmann

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Mojave Beige
W116 and W126 diesels were only ever officially sold in US and Canada (not even in Europe!), and all of them were automatic. The W123 240D and W201 190D/E were the only MB models sold with 4 or 5-speed manuals. Even the SL roadsters weren't available here with a manual transmission!

It's no loss though; the MB automatics are wonderful to drive. They don't hunt around like most trannies, and by '85 they'd got the torque converter stall speed so well matched to the engines that they are zippy and silken. By being able to put your foot to the floor uninterrupted by clutching/shifting, you don't loose any boost when it shifts! I'd bet the 0-60 times on an MB turbodiesel auto are as good as or better than a manual.

SDL, Manual? Not. I can't confirm, but I doubt the SD/SDL's ever came with a standard shift transmission, even in Europe. Not at that luxury level.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

[ September 22, 2002, 20:14: Message edited by: David Bruckmann ]

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Originally posted by David Bruckmann:

It's no loss though; the MB automatics are wonderful to drive. They don't hunt around like most trannies, and by '85 they'd got the torque converter stall speed so well matched to the engines that they are zippy and silken.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ahh, so this is why the '85+ would be deemed more desirable. The moderator of the Diesel section at MercedesShop.com couldn't answer that one for me, confirming my belief that Fred's is the best car Forum on the Net!

Thanks David !

David Bruckmann

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Mojave Beige
Originally posted by spoilsport:
Ahh, so this is why the '85+ would be deemed more desirable. The moderator of the Diesel section at MercedesShop.com couldn't answer that one for me, confirming my belief that Fred's is the best car Forum on the Net!

Thanks David !
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Diesel List is great for W115/W123/W126 dieselers. It's the best resource I've found anywhere.

[ September 23, 2002, 08:25: Message edited by: David Bruckmann ]

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
The W123 240D and W201 190D/E were the only MB models sold with 4 or 5-speed manuals.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, the very early 300Es (W124) did have a 5 speed option...not a diesel but still a manual trans. IIRC, MY1986 only.

Even the SL roadsters weren't available here with a manual transmission!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">...not completely accurate. There were a small number of 5 speed 300SLs (W129) brought into America in the early 1990's. I have driven them...total oddballs.

The MBz manual gearboxes were not known for there elegance. The shifting experience was quite comparable to driving a truck. The newest manual cars are somewhat better but the mechanism stills retains a heavy, clunky feel. The Benz is one car that is very well suited to an auto trans as the others mention.