Need new key cut....

CTD&TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg?
Where is my best place to get a new key cut for my 99.5 a4 jetta? the dealer quoted me 52ish dollars for it. i dont have a blank either.

thanx
caleb

occb2

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
That is cheap. Volkswagen by me, wants $74 bucks for the Valet key and programing. And around $150 for the flip. Thats on a 2000 jetta.
Rob

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
CTD&TDI said:
Where is my best place to get a new key cut for my 99.5 a4 jetta? the dealer quoted me 52ish dollars for it. i dont have a blank either.
__. "World-Impex" did a great job supplying a "switchblade" key with remote for my '03 wagon. Dunno if the 99.5 is as easy but it should be.

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
Good chance a 1999.5 is not a transponder key. 2000 may not be transponder either but hard to say. Best place to have a key cut is a locksmith. Dealer will order a key by VIN if you ask. There is an independent VW repair shop near my key shop that orders them by VIN and sells them for less than you guys were quoted. Check around with local lock shops and VW repair shops.

$52 is likely a code key and will be better than a cut key. Ask if they are making it on the spot and how.

$150 for a flip key is not a bad price, especially for a remote head key and programming.

MrGutWrench, I'm curious, how did you program your transponder key to start your car? That generally requires some sort of programmer that connects to your car and a PIN number.

occb2

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
Transponder key

Yea the 2000 IS a transponder key. I wish it wasn't. The key is only 35 bucks and they charge 1/2 hr labor. Same with the flip key.
Rob

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NFSTDI said:
snip) (MrGutWrench, I'm curious, how did you program your transponder key to start your car? That generally requires some sort of programmer that connects to your car and a PIN number.
__. I haven't yet. I use the "valet" key (the only one that came with the car) to start the car and the new key for the remote. The new key-blade will also unlock the doors and hatch (wagon) mechanically -- it will even mechanically unlock the ignition but if I try to start using the new key, I get an "immobilizer shutdown" after 2 seconds or so.

__. My problem was that the car that I bought to replace my totalled car came with only the "valet" key. I haven't been able to find the Secret Key Code (not in the owner's manual, etc.). I'll have to either find someone with "VAG-Tacho" (a computer program that will read the SKC) then program the keys with VAG-Com or have the SKC reset as part of a "chip".

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
Be very carefull about ordering keys online. Some are plated brass and can not be cut. Too soft. Make sure that the blank is steel.

NFSTDI

TDI
'98 Jetta
Not all 2000s have active transponder system, some do, some don't. It's what we call a split year.

MrGutWrench, I may be able to locate someone near you who can program the key if you like. Many locksmiths, like me, have VAG-Tacho. I purchased mine at considerable expense from a legit dealer. There are cheap copies circulating. If you have VAG-Tacho you do not need VAG-COM to program keys. VAG-Tacho will extract the PIN and program new keys. There are other programs that do this as well. RC Jeff has one so if you organize an RC tune GTG it's very likely you can have him program your key.

Not sure who told you brass keys can not be cut, I cut them every day in my lock shop. Most keys are made of brass including most car keys. Some car keys are made of steel and most locksmiths charge more to cut them or refuse to cut them as they put some serious wear and tear on cutters. Much like putting the wrong oil in a PD motor!

The biggest problem with ordering keys on line is getting the wrong transponder or worse yet a used transponder that can not be programmed to your particular car. This is an issue with Chrysler and various other cars. People take a used remote head key apart and put it in a new shell. The problem is that certain transponders are a one time use. Once programmed to a particular car they can never be programmed to another car.

Best bet is to contact local locksmiths. Many will refer you back to the dealer but a few of us actually have the equipment, key blanks, and knowledge to do the work and save you money!

marspball

TDI
2000 Beetle
Actually, steel is bad. All the locksmith that I know won't cut them. And they use magnets to test this...if it's magentized, it's steel. They are bad because they are very harsh on the dies. They prefer brass because it is softer and easier on the dies.

Be careful buying a blank blade on the internet. They best ones are the OEM blades manufactures by Valeo or Huf. Just because the blades have HAA stamped on them doesn't mean that the will work. Look at your original key blade and find the logo...that's how an OEM blade supposed to look like. As for how much to cut, i know a locksmith in my area that can cut the blade for $25. To program the chip, find someone with vagcom. Don't have the pin, find someone with vag tacho as well or look for your black tag that comes with the key. hope this helps.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NFSTDI said:
(snip) MrGutWrench, I may be able to locate someone near you who can program the key if you like. Many locksmiths, like me, have VAG-Tacho. I purchased mine at considerable expense from a legit dealer. There are cheap copies circulating. If you have VAG-Tacho you do not need VAG-COM to program keys. VAG-Tacho will extract the PIN and program new keys. There are other programs that do this as well. RC Jeff has one so if you organize an RC tune GTG it's very likely you can have him program your key. (snip)
__. Thanks, NF. I've been working to try to find a local VAG-Tacho but life has been "interesting" lately and I've been short on time. I appreciate your knowledgeable help.

CTD&TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg?
when i bought the car it had a VERY badly cut key with it...it looked like someone used a cordless drill to do it with. i had a new key cut off the vin and it ended up being just a valet key. i called vw and asked for a full access key and the 52ish is what they quoted...i dont have a keyless remote or switchblade key....too expensive...lol

NFSTDI

TDI
'98 Jetta
Twenty-five is what I normally charge for duplication service of most side milled keys. That includes the blank! I also charge twenty-five to cut a customer supplied key using my duplication machine. Keys cut by code (VIN number must be referenced to a code by VW or one of the services I can use which in turn is referenced to the key bitting) are generally fifty for high security keys. Programming is additional and that depends on a number of factors such as how many working keys do you have.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
NFSTDI said:
Not all 2000s have active transponder system, some do, some don't. It's what we call a split year.

MrGutWrench, I may be able to locate someone near you who can program the key if you like. Many locksmiths, like me, have VAG-Tacho. I purchased mine at considerable expense from a legit dealer. There are cheap copies circulating. If you have VAG-Tacho you do not need VAG-COM to program keys. VAG-Tacho will extract the PIN and program new keys. There are other programs that do this as well. RC Jeff has one so if you organize an RC tune GTG it's very likely you can have him program your key.

Not sure who told you brass keys can not be cut, I cut them every day in my lock shop. Most keys are made of brass including most car keys. Some car keys are made of steel and most locksmiths charge more to cut them or refuse to cut them as they put some serious wear and tear on cutters. Much like putting the wrong oil in a PD motor!

The biggest problem with ordering keys on line is getting the wrong transponder or worse yet a used transponder that can not be programmed to your particular car. This is an issue with Chrysler and various other cars. People take a used remote head key apart and put it in a new shell. The problem is that certain transponders are a one time use. Once programmed to a particular car they can never be programmed to another car.

Best bet is to contact local locksmiths. Many will refer you back to the dealer but a few of us actually have the equipment, key blanks, and knowledge to do the work and save you money!
I bought my Vag-tacho from impex for around 50$ which I do not consider high. World impex also was getting their keys from VW and cut when they arrived at the store. I never had a problem with any I sold when I worked there. If you watch what you are buying you can get good keys of Ebay then find someone with the proper software.

OldDogDan

TDI
04 Jetta, 5spd, gray
My 2004 Jetta TDI manual says to see the dealer to program new keys, but then goes on to describe programming a new key by using your good key and inserting the new one next, all in a certain order and amount of time. Is that procedure just to "refresh" an already programmed key? (BTW, I get the point about programming the car to the key, but it just seems easier to say "program the key"...). My local dealer sold me a master key w/o remote and cut it for $70. Wanted about $200 more to program it. Thought I'd check into it further before doing that.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
There are two items that have to match. One is the immobilizer. If the car doesn't recognize the key, the immo cuts the engine after 1-2 seconds.

The other is the FOB. This is what is described in the manual.

gaurd03

TDI
'03 Jetta
having the same issue, just read that it is no longer possible to go to the dealer and get the code? any way I'm in poughkeepsie NY, any one know any one in my area with VAG-Tacho and blanks? (I have a matched switchblade for the blank..)

marspball

TDI
2000 Beetle
CTD&TDI said:
when i bought the car it had a VERY badly cut key with it...it looked like someone used a cordless drill to do it with. i had a new key cut off the vin and it ended up being just a valet key. i called vw and asked for a full access key and the 52ish is what they quoted...i dont have a keyless remote or switchblade key....too expensive...lol
CTD&TDI, go on ebay and look for the remote key if you really want it. The remote key that you need is HLO 1J0 959 753 F or HLO 1J0 959 753 T. Normally you can get a used one for about $40 and then a blank blade for $10-$15. For the blade, only buy the OEM ones made by Huf or Valeo (look for the logo). Once you have that, take the blade to a locksmith and have them cut it based on your working key. Then replace the old blade by the new blade by removing the pin and find someone with Vag-com (provided you have the SKC code). Program the immobilizer and remote and voila...a remote key for a fraction of the price a stealership would charge.

NFSTDI

TDI
'98 Jetta
gaurd03 said:
having the same issue, just read that it is no longer possible to go to the dealer and get the code? any way I'm in poughkeepsie NY, any one know any one in my area with VAG-Tacho and blanks? (I have a matched switchblade for the blank..)
Correct. VW dealers currently have to plug your car into their programmer. The programmer communicates directly with VWoA for what is called an in/out or call response code. The technician never sees the PIN code.

The only way I know to obtain a PIN, if you do not already have one, is with either a programmer such as one I have or with one of the VW specific PIN code extraction systems such as VAG-Tacho. If you paid less than five hundred dollars for VAG-Tacho it is a pirated knock off. My universal programmer is designed to work on most makes and models but it only works on some VWs. That is why I bought a VAG-Tacho as well.

OldDogDan

TDI
04 Jetta, 5spd, gray
e-Bay key ID

So I see remotes with uncut keys (and used remotes) listed for my 2004 Jetta (got it used --only one key -w/remote). But they say to be sure the number they give matches the number on my remote. Not immediately obvious how to get the remote apart to check the number (or I assume to change the battery). How do I? Don't want to break it...thanks.

OK, so pretty much all "How do I.." have been asked before. Just found this:
http://www.riskin.org/vwkey/

Last edited:

OldDogDan

TDI
04 Jetta, 5spd, gray
Keys & Key Codes

This would be a good thread to add to the FAQ (I didn't find it there), or have a knowledgeable person post an article.

Here's what I gather, please confirm or correct (referring to TDI with immobilizer):

- If you get a new remote, you must get a dealer or other VAG resource to match keys & car.

- If you get a new key cut (master or valet) and it doesn't have a remote, you can set it up yourself if you have the manual procedure and a working key.

Is this right? Thanks.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OldDogDan said:
This would be a good thread to add to the FAQ (I didn't find it there), or have a knowledgeable person post an article.

Here's what I gather, please confirm or correct (referring to TDI with immobilizer):

- If you get a new remote, you must get a dealer or other VAG resource to match keys & car.

- If you get a new key cut (master or valet) and it doesn't have a remote, you can set it up yourself if you have the manual procedure and a working key.

Is this right? Thanks.
__. Kinda.

__. If you get a new remote (1999 - 2003), you can make the remote open locks, set the alarm, etc. by doing a procedure that you can easily do yourself. You can get a new key to work in the ignition switch by "initializing" the immobilizer; from about 1999 - 2003, if you have the Secret Key Code and VAG-Com. The stealer can do this on any car of any year (any car with immobilizer, that is, from about 1999 or 2000 up to the present).

NFSTDI

TDI
'98 Jetta
As far as I know any remote can be programmed to any year using simple DIY procedures often referred to as OBP or On Board Programming.

Keys are another story. 1999 and early do not have transponders. Some 2000 model cars do not have transponders so no key programming is necessary. 2001 and up all have transponders. There is no OBP programming method for transponder keys.

All models with transponders require a PIN code and some method for programming. PIN codes can be extracted using one of several methods. Once you have the PIN code you can program keys using various tools or software applications including VAG-Com. VAG-Tacho is a very useful tool for extracting PIN codes and programming keys.

It should be noted that you will want all working keys present when you have your car programmed. Any keys not present may not work after new keys have been programmed.

VAG-Tacho works on all years and models except Cabrio and Eurovan.

One of these days I'll post instructions for programming all remotes. I have a book that details this procedure for all makes and models.