So happy I wanted to share.

Insane

TDI
MK7 Golf
I got my MK7 TDI about a year ago and started saving. Little by little I was finally able to get bags put on! I'm super happy with both the looks and ride quality. (Airlift Performance)

I'm still super happy with the stock wheels so had some new rubber put on them. The thing I'm stuck on is brakes. If anyone knows of information about upgrading the stock Golf brakes please share. I'm hoping a simple swap to type R brakes is a thing. I'm still new to euro cars and I'm happy a friend told me about this place. Been lurking for awhile, finally feel happy enough with my car to post.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

mikesarge

TDI
MK7 Golf TDI SEL 6MT
Welcome! not a huge group of folks on here modifying these cars yet, so I'm always happy to see more.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
312mm non PP GTI are a subtle upgrade (supper cheap too as you just need rotors and carrier brackets) if you want OEM red GTI calipers and bracket should be cheap to source on the used market and you wouldn't need an MC upgrade.

Next after that is 340mm of the R and PP GTI, but IMO that's just more money and more unsprung weight and a MC upgrade should be done too.

Last edited:

Insane

TDI
MK7 Golf
312mm non PP GTI are a subtle upgrade (supper cheap too as you just need rotors and carrier brackets) if you want OEM red GTI calipers and bracket should be cheap to source on the used market and you wouldn't need an MC upgrade.

Next after that is 340mm of the R and PP GTI, but IMO that's just more money and more unsprung weight and a MC upgrade should be done too.
After some Google I've figured out pp is performance pack(?).

So your saying I can source stock GTi rotors/cailpers (dust guard, carriers, etc.) and bolt it on? If thats a direct swap I love the idea of it. Add in some stainless lines and DoT4 that should solve everything.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The PP brakes are a modest upgrade for the money, still a single piston caliper and marginally bigger than TDI just with bigger rotors and pads. If you can find somebody upgrading their PP GTI, then you can likely get them for cheap and worth the effort. After I priced all the parts (granted brand new from the dealer), it was over $1400 for all four brakes. That included everything right down to the larger dust shields and master cylinder if needed. If you want a little flash with a brake upgrade, the PP brakes leave a little on the table. These are 18z brakes for comparison:)

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Care to possibly start a thread about the Air Lift set up you installed? I am semi interesting in looking into this in the future for my tiddy wagon. Wondering what kit you have, where you got it and what you thought about the install kinda stuff.

Insane

TDI
MK7 Golf
Care to possibly start a thread about the Air Lift set up you installed? I am semi interesting in looking into this in the future for my tiddy wagon. Wondering what kit you have, where you got it and what you thought about the install kinda stuff.

I'd be more than happy to share that info. It's really easy, I payed a person without a bad back to put it in. ha!

Really though, that's the metric I use when deciding if I want to do something or have it done.

I got the Air Lift Performance 3H/3P kit installed by a local guy that just does bag installs. (https://www.classyhouseproductions.com/)
After a long weekend I got my car back with the install complete. It was done with amazing attention to detail and care for my car. Super happy with the quality of work and I'm telling everyone about this guy if asked. (total cost was around $3500)

So... For the install process I can't comment, I can tell you about quality of life and user experience of the kit, having had it for a few weeks now.

For Daily-Driving the 30 way damps are set to Zero (was 10). I like to feel every other bump, not every bump, in the road. At zero it's quite the amazing ride, soft enough to be a comfortable ride, but still able to "feel" the road. If I ever wanted to do a track day I'd just have to spend 5min of my time to adjust the dampeners to what I wanted.

The controller is mounted on a magnet mount to the center A/C vents. It's mounted in a way that I can easily change settings when needed. So I have discovered the pleasure of having a reasonable daily drive height without any worries of scraping in parking lots/driveways. No more taking up everyone's time as I crawl over a speed bump.

You can park with it slammed but that takes an extra step when getting out. It's not that big of a problem or anything I've just learned to be mindful of opening doors when it's slammed. That 4 inch curb becomes a threat now.

The compressor is a little noisy when it's quite in the car. Windows down or radio turn up 1/3 of the way? can't really hear it. I plan to remake the board in my trunk out of fiberglass and make a mount to hold the spare in the trunk. The underside of said fiberglass board will be covered with sound deadening (fatmat/dynamat). I'm hoping this will cut down the sound to an almost unnoticed level (also gonna put some sound deadening under the compressor). I was gonna do that this weekend but it was cold and rainy. I'll leave it for next weekend.

Best part for last... having a bagged daily driver means you break at least one neck a day :D

tldr:

Installed by local shop.

30 way Dampeners are set to zero for daily driving.
Compressor is a little noisy but it's not that bad and only runs for a little.
Super user friendly, I'd be ok with my Mother having to get in and drive it alone.
Having a lowered car with next to no fear of scraping is amazing.
10/10 would have this done to a car again.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Thanks for all this info man, this is the stuff I was curious about for sure! If the AirLift kit wasn't so well put together I would be looking more at Accuair for the reason that some of their tanks have in tank air pumps cutting down on noise a fair bit. Being new to the idea of air ride, the AirLift kit being complete front to rear is nice as there is much more to these than standard coilovers like my truck lol.

Still just a pipe dream, but it is interesting to see how you are liking it so far. Is yours the 3H or the 3P? I know the 3H has the height sensors in it while the 3P doesn't. Do you find yourself using the controller that came with it or the bluetooth app on your phone? When my shocks are toast I imagine this is the route Ill go. Mine is a daily diver as well, about 30k miles a year. And with me living down a dirt road, the lowering springs option isn't an option lol. With the bags I'd be able to air up or down as needed. My ride is a wagon so that presents some different noise issues as its far more open cabin lol.

Insane

TDI
MK7 Golf
Still just a pipe dream, but it is interesting to see how you are liking it so far. Is yours the 3H or the 3P? I know the 3H has the height sensors in it while the 3P doesn't. Do you find yourself using the controller that came with it or the bluetooth app on your phone? When my shocks are toast I imagine this is the route Ill go. Mine is a daily diver as well, about 30k miles a year. And with me living down a dirt road, the lowering springs option isn't an option lol. With the bags I'd be able to air up or down as needed. My ride is a wagon so that presents some different noise issues as its far more open cabin lol.

I have the 3H model.

The app is nice and just looks like a big digital picture of the controller. It would be nice for someone who wanted a clean install (no controller mounted to dash). I just use it in the parking lots to show friends. For everyday driving the controller is in such a position that a small move from my right hand let's me use it. That leaves the phone to keep playing music.

Another thing is they can align your tires at any ride height and make that the default ride height. I was told I can drive at any height other than default at "parking lot speeds". So that's easy to remember.

Default height for me is 40/60 (Front/Back), that gives me a height where the fender is right above the tire. I press one button and I go to 75/75. I'm now at a height that clears driveways and speed bumps. A quick press of the default preset button and I'm back to ride height. So for the "inconvenience" of pressing 2 buttons a few times I don't scrape.

Seeing as you have a dirt road the same could be done. Nice low ride height for roads, one elevated height to roll down the questionable dirt roads if needed.

The controller has buttons running down the middle, from top down;

1. all up (increase height evenly across all bags as long as it's held)
  2. preset high (75/75)
  3. default height (40/60)
  4. preset low (20/40)
  5. air out (slammed, 0/0)
There's also 8 buttons around the outside, 2 for each tire (up/down). They're positioned in a way that they line up with a top down view of the car for what tire they control. (https://imgur.com/T3G7TXx)

All numbers (40/60) are in PSI... it has height stuff but the guy that installed the system showed me how to use the PSI readings. It's what he knew better I guess.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Good to hear my man, thanks! Sounds like you’re digging it so far! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
You can park with it slammed but that takes an extra step when getting out. It's not that big of a problem or anything I've just learned to be mindful of opening doors when it's slammed. That 4 inch curb becomes a threat now.

that and making sure the wheel is pointed straight, unless you want to buy those carbon fiber fenders you were looking for.