How to replace a battery in New Beetle

weirdajs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle TDI
How to replace a battery in New Beetle
First off I don't have a picture of taking your top battery cover off.

Tools you need are 1/4 Ratchet or 1/4 Air Ratchet,1/4 Extension,10mm, and a 13mm. Tools not shown are a set of Hex wrenches/Allen wrenches and Flat tip Screwdriver.
First you need to take off your battery top cover. To do that squeeze the latch and then you should be able to lift the cover off. If not carefully use a Screwdriver to pry it without breaking the plastic cover. Now mine didn't have the top cover because it is broke off.

Next now loosen the 10mm Negative battery terminal nut. This located on the right side of the battery. Cause this you are not sparking with your tools. This also being safe
SEE THE PICTURE ABOVE FOR MORE HELP

Ok on the Positive terminal is two different nuts you need to loosen. One 10mm nut holds the terminal and other is for the fusebox. I loosen both because it was easier to move the Positive cable. This makes it easier for later on. Use your 1/4 Ratchet with your Extension and 10mm Socket to loosen both nuts. There is a washer behind the 10mm nut be careful. Don't lose it along with the bolt behind the terminal. Now wiggle it instill you pull the Positive cable off and out your away.

You might have to pry gently with your Screwdriver to loosen your terminals. Both
Positive and Negative terminal ends To do that is get underneath and pry. Or pry between the terminal end where the bolt was.

The Power Steering Reservoir is in your way. First undo the plastic cable clamps next to the battery box. Next where you see Power Steering Reservoir to the left underneath the Air Injection hose is a Hex bolt. Shown above in the picture This holds the Positive cable with a plate attached to it. Take your Hex/Allen wrench should be 3/16 wrench to loosing the bolt. That holds the Power Steering Reservoir and Positive cable plate together. Once you have the bolt loose. Now pull up on the Power Steering Reservoir to free the Positive cable plate.

After you have loosen the Positive cable and Power Steering Reservoir. Now push the cable under the Power Steering hose and Air Injection hose. So it is completely out the way.

Behind the battery box is a plastic clip that holds the fuse box wires together. Just pull up and out to remove the plastic clip. This makes it easier to move the fuse box around.

You need now to remove the two plastic battery box pieces. First remove the first piece by pulling it apart at the seems. Secondly there might be a battery clamp holding the battery in place. Take your 13mm then and remove the bolt holding the battery in place. Push the Power Steering Reservoir away a little. Battery needs to be tipped by raising bottom of Positive side. Then lift pull towards your left to get out the battery. Removed the second plastic piece.
SEE THE PICTURES ABOVE FOR MORE HELP

Last edited:

weirdajs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle TDI

After you have the battery out take off the heat shield cover. And then replace it on the new battery.

The battery plastic piece next to the fender well you removed, earlier put back in place. To put the battery back again, you need to lift and tip on the Positive side. By doing this you should be able to slide it back in again. Now attached your other plastic piece to the other one.

Find you plastic piece that goes behind the battery box. Reattach it so it is holding the fuse box cables.

Re-fish the Positive cable under the Air Injection hose and Power Steering hose. Before you bolt up your Power Steering Reservoir, you have line up the Positive cable plate first. Lining up Positive cable plate is easy. You just have to make sure the Power Steering Reservoir fit in the Positive cable plate hole.

I am going to show a little trick before bolting back your Power Steering Reservoir. Take a piece of masking tape and wrap it around your Hex/Allen wrench with the bolt. This makes it easier bolting up the Power Steering Reservoir. Then tear off the tape and finishing tightening the bolt.

Re-clamp your Positive cable to plastic clamp on the battery box. Attach the Positive cable back to the Positive terminal. Not the Negative terminal Reattach Positive cable from the fuse box. Or you could first reattach the Negative cable. Take the Negative cable and attach back to the Negative terminal.

Also Mods sorry I don't know where to post it :eek: Just trying to help that's all.

Last edited:

lkchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle
Just did mine and had no problem just removing positive cable from battery terminal, i.e. no need to disconnect from fuse box. (This is way "official" procedures specify.)

In any event, you shouldn't recommend working on postive until negative cable is removed from battery first. (You got reassembly correct). Reason obviously is that if your wrench touches something else it's meaningless working on the negative and when subsequently working on postitive, it's safe, too, as negative is removed and there're no sparks left.

You should note--as Bentley manual does--that tipping of battery (raising inside end) is required for removal/installation. It's not coming out straight up.

weirdajs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle TDI
lkchris said:
Just did mine and had no problem just removing positive cable from battery terminal, i.e. no need to disconnect from fuse box. (This is way "official" procedures specify.)

In any event, you shouldn't recommend working on postive until negative cable is removed from battery first. (You got reassembly correct). Reason obviously is that if your wrench touches something else it's meaningless working on the negative and when subsequently working on postitive, it's safe, too, as negative is removed and there're no sparks left.

You should note--as Bentley manual does--that tipping of battery (raising inside end) is required for removal/installation. It's not coming out straight up.
You are right and true. It was after midnight when I finished typing up this guide. I don't mind constructive criticism from people. I might re-edit this guide some more.

weirdajs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle TDI
Ok tdiclub I revise my guide a little. lkchris is right about working on the Negative side first. What was I thinking when I typed up it. Sorry I didn't take more pictures. I wanted it done.

joel12mi

TDI
new beetle
I finally got the battery out but did break the 2 sided plastic battery box\cover. Broke off the tab right behind the headlight.

This was a pain to say the least. It is very tight working space.

spyderhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Golf
Question on battery install

Just read the above thread; wish I had changed the battery myself. I wanted a better battery - Interstate - and had an old friend who owns a Firestone dealership change the battery. He broke the wrap-around shield in two spots (both pieces) putting the battery back in. As a result, the power steering reservoir does not fit right, and the piece that goes across the top to hold the fuse box is broken (fuse box slides into this piece). He thought it was not a big deal; I think it might be.
Has anyone ever had VW replace the battery shield pieces and - if so - what did it cost? As it is now, my fuse box is just sitting atop the new battery (can move when driving) and my power steering reservoir is not very secure.
Any/all advice/suggestions are appreciated.

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
I know this is an old thread; however, thanks to the OP! I just bought an 000-915-105-DG from my dealer for 119.83. It is listed as 12V 72Ah 380A DIN 640A EN/SAE. I'll go home an follow this DIY after work!