block heater vs. inline coolant heater

general lee

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
I am looking for opinions as to which is better, inline coolant heaters vs. block heaters.
2001 Jetta TDI - 1.9L
probably going to have to park it outside during winter, here in Alberta, Canada

Thanks to all who reply.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
No known block heaters available. Zero Start/Frost brand, or in Canada, Canadian Tire has the kits. Work very well, heat up coolant and the oil in the oil cooler. No need to park it for winter.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
To add a bit of context: your block has no frost plugs, so no way to install the conventional block heater.

As a fellow Albertan I can attest to how well the Frostheater works... easy starts and warm air out of the defrost vents much quicker than my MK2s and MK3s with traditional block heaters.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I personally would't bother with any sort of heater. Waste of time and electricity. Just get in the car and drive.

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
It gets pretty cold in Alberta. He may need it to aid starting.

There are 2 pluses to an engine heater: 1) you get cab heat right away; 2) fuel mileage will probably be higher; might go a long ways to paying for the heater, and using electricity is more efficient than burning diesel.

We had a heater hose heater in our 220D in Vermont. It worked fine on a -22 F morning. Our 240D had a block heater that worked well, but we never used it much as we'd sold the place in Vermont by that time. I was always started in the garage. Still, on really cold days here in Virginia, the wife would plug it in just to get cab heat right away.

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
Mr. Guetta - 2014 Jetta TDI Trimline +
Frostheater FTW!

I used a Frostheater most of last winter, and never had a problem starting, even after a few -35C nights (Rockies). I have a timer so it's not on all night if it's warmer. On nights past about -26C, I just left it on all night, and it was all good.

If you are really concerned about starting problems, maybe invest in some good synthetic oil. With the Frostheater, you shouldn't have any trouble.

Good Luck!

-M.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
I personally would't bother with any sort of heater. Waste of time and electricity. Just get in the car and drive.
Nice starting and instant heat are sure nice on those chilly mornings. 2kW and 2 minutes to plug and unplug is a very small price to pay for no windshield fogging and a smaller hit on the fuel economy.

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
I am looking for opinions as to which is better, inline coolant heaters vs. block heaters.
A few theoretical comments ....

The block heaters are more efficient (if you have a choice) because there is less surface area to lose heat from. They are cheaper to replace as there is no hosing or housing involved. Just a little screw to undo and the element pops out of the block.

On my old Ford Mustang, the element was located right at the bottom of the block so the heat was distributed evenly. My in-line heater for my VW, the heat seems to collect around the temperature sensor. Once you start the car, the temperatures needle goes up and then it goes right down because the coolant does not get circulated evenly until the motor runs.

Nich

Veteran Member
TDI
5 spd 03 Jetta TDI
block heater = cheaper more efficient (pribably most effictive from a starting perspective)
frost heater = more expensive quick heat
oil pan heater = ???

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I can vouch for the frostheater... -51C and she started just fine ;)
Oil pan heaters aren't so helpful, and might fall off and start a fire. No frostplugs means no block-heater.

Frostheater or similar is your best bet.

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
I'm guessing you never see temps in the -20F range, or daytime highs below zero F. Even here in Northern Illinois it can get that cold at times and I have found a Zerostart/Frostheater a must with the TDI's. I have them in both our cars and would never look back. I even run them for a couple hours when the weather is in the 30's and 20's. Very little electricity and very much comfort and good starting. Overnight starts at 10F are just like 75F. Seriously.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I have seen temps dip down to -10 or so and my 99.5 always starts up unaided. A bit unhappy and rough, yes, but it will always start. Never had a situation where it won't start.

Heater doesn't help when you park the car where there is no outlet to plug into.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I have seen temps dip down to -10 or so and my 99.5 always starts up unaided. A bit unhappy and rough, yes, but it will always start. Never had a situation where it won't start.

Heater doesn't help when you park the car where there is no outlet to plug into.
-10F is a common daytime high in Alberta winter and I suspect -30F (and colder) is rather common for the low. The wind, while not affecting the actual temp, will cool an engine down very quickly at shutdown and unsures total loss of residual heat. It's hard to explain how much difference there is from -0s to -30 and colder. The difference is huge in how things start and operate.
Yes, it may start, but its hard on the equipment and the operator. ;)
Get a coolant heater, you may not use it a lot but when its needed there is no regretting it.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Diesel is a CI engine, which uses compression to ignite the fuel. By having a coolant heater, the heater warms up the coolant in the coolant jackets, the cylinder walls, oil in the OHE, as well as the cylinder head. This increases Diesel fuel ignitability, and no loud popcorn noise upon first start in the cold morning.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
A few theoretical comments ....

The block heaters are more efficient (if you have a choice) because there is less surface area to lose heat from. They are cheaper to replace as there is no hosing or housing involved. Just a little screw to undo and the element pops out of the block.
All the diesel "block" heaters I am familiar with heat the coolant. This is not much different than the Frostheater except there is better circulation. Since there is no block heater option for the TDI, the coolant heater is by far your best option.

general lee

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Thank you

Thanks to all that have replied, I believe I will go ahead with the coolant heater, I had one in my propane truck years ago and it was really nice and did an excellent job. However in the diesel I was unsure if this was OK. But all sounds well.
Thanks again for the many replies and great info.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
It should work. I wouldn't place it on the lower rad hose though, but install it on the hose that connects to the cyl. head. That way the cyl. head will get warm first as well as the OHE.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Heat rises. You don't want the heater at the higher point or it won't circulate and you will be lucky if any heat reaches the head even. If it is at the lowest point it will rise up the block and head and then cool down and circulate back through. That is how the frostheater works and it won't work other then being at the lowest point.

It should work. I wouldn't place it on the lower rad hose though, but install it on the hose that connects to the cyl. head. That way the cyl. head will get warm first as well as the OHE.

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
The greater the vertical distance between the heater is and where it returns coolant to the block, the more vigorously it will move the coolant; and in the end, the more evenly distributed the heat will be.

Last edited:

tony pizza

TDI
jetta 1.9 2002
transmision wont go to overdrive

it is a 2002 jetta tdi turn to 3000 rpm at 60 miles per hour what could be the problem