Mazda SkyActiv Diesel Engine

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
^Are you sure your Odyssey gets 30+mpg? The CX5 is rated at 26/32-35, which is very respectable for that type of vehicle/gasser. If they diesel appears, it may be a game changer. I saw a CX5 a couple of nights ago- it looks nice.

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
^Are you sure your Odyssey gets 30+mpg? The CX5 is rated at 26/32-35, which is very respectable for that type of vehicle/gasser. If they diesel appears, it may be a game changer. I saw a CX5 a couple of nights ago- it looks nice.
You're right ... she was looking at a 2012 CX7 NOT a CX5. The mileage on the AWD CX7 she was considering was 17 city, 21 hwy, & 19 combined. The Odyssey easily gets better than that.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The newer Odyssey with the VCM engine can tag 30+ MPG. It will also eat that nuts-expensive active front engine mount every 50k miles or so, easily negating much of the extra fuel economy the VCM offers over the regular engine... which has a mount that 'only' will set you back about $400 :rolleyes:

My old 2.2L Ody cannot even get that good. But it does not puke up expensive parts constantly either, so 24 MPG is just fine. :)

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
Plus the VCM light drives me crazy coming on & going off all the time. If it were my daily driver I would have to put a piece of tape over it! We actually did get 30+ MPG on a tank once when we were on a trip. 116,000 miles on the Ody & we've never had to replace the active front engine mount. I'm trying to talk Wife into something else before that goes and before the tranny decides it's reached the end of its ability to shift properly.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is weird, some customers I have replaced that mount 3 times in that mileage, others not at all. May be how they drive? Common enough that Honda stocks several of them, though. Yours a Touring model?

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
If I ever have to pay $400 + for an engine mount, I will crush the vehicle. That is overengineering at it's finest.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Concept yes, but where are the commercially available ones?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
*cough*2008 Jetta TDI*cough*

*cough*1998 Passat TDI*cough*

*cough*1997 Golf TDI*cough*

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
I doubt Mazda will be around much longer... They don't sell. We got a Mazda dealership next door to my work and they have not posted profit since they opened 3 years ago. Place is on its 4th ownership and it's got nothing to do with who runs it: people just don't buy em. Does blow that a company which had some great cars like the 323GTX and 626 GT, MX6 GT now makes such ugly cars as the 3.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Not uncommon around here, although the local Mazda dealer was also a Pontiac dealer, and went out of business within a week of Pontiac announcing that they were closing down.

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
In the Skyactiv product line, they place the gasoline engine as the standard version and diesel engine as the premium version (higher horsepower).

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
If I ever have to pay $400 + for an engine mount, I will crush the vehicle. That is overengineering at it's finest.
I just orderd mounts for my B4. Just over 300$. But the trick is 320K miles. Anyhow it is true a lot of Japanese diesels in the past never really materialized so we'll see. The thing other than no adblue I like in the skyactiv diesel is the lighter weight and lower compression which in itself should make this engine last!

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"

Rob_from_Elkmont

Veteran Member
So then whose playbook did VW rip off when they built Rabbits in New Stanton, PA back in the 80s?
At the time, VWOA was lead by former Big 3 Auto guys. They purchased an unfinished Chrysler Plant. Had great success for several years. Americanized the Rabbit, soft supensions and all, built vehicles that had a tendancy to use oil. Yep, I would say they took a page out of the Big 3 playbook. Pick your favorite.

JarHead

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Golf Gone But not forgotten. 2000 Jetta TDi Kerma Tuned
Mazda Sky-D

So with Mazda Finally bringing Diesel to the US market. I have been doing a bunch of reading on the engine and it seems like it is going to be a hit.

I am not in the market for a new car, but my mother is looking for something that gets better MPG's then her truck. We looked at the KIA's I hated them slugish peace of junk. Anyways I told her to hold off on buying a car for a couple months until she gets a chance to drive them and see if she likes it.

She likes my Golf and Wifes JSW, but she doesnt want to pay that much for a Car. I work for a company that gives us Ford X plan and that transfers over to a Mazda S plan so that will save her a lot of money.

Basicilly I am looking for a little feed back on what people think about them. I Love my Golf I do not ever want to drive anything else besides a VW in fact when this car hits 100k I will be trading up to a MK7.

Thanks JarHead
Semper Fi

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Where did you read that its a solid yes ? I just looked and its all old news that they are thinking of bringing over their Sky-D motor over. I work for a dealer group and they literally give Mazdas away nowa days

lexa

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Where did you read that its a solid yes ? I just looked and its all old news that they are thinking of bringing over their Sky-D motor over. I work for a dealer group and they literally give Mazdas away nowa days
MAzda USA confirmed to me in email SkyActive-D in 2013 model year is coming.

i don't see MAzda giving away (for free) cars, if you know where I can get it for free, please do let me know.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

i don't see MAzda giving away (for free) cars, if you know where I can get it for free, please do let me know.
can you post a copy of the email? I too am skeptical of the diesel promises from other manufacturers.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32

139.99 a month lease deals on Mazda3... always plastering posters of current incentives on our NON-Mazda dealership wall. MazdaSpeed3 was dirt cheap few months ago when they had a bunch of em just sitting there. To me when its thousands off invoice on a car- its giving the car away.

Still do not believe they will have a diesel, you could email someone from Mazda within...
Beverly Braga
bbraga@mazdausa.com
Jeremy Barnes
jbarnes5@mazdausa.com

Both names mentioned here...
http://www.mazdausamedia.com/content/mazda-make-us-debut-skyactiv-fuel-saving-technologies

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, Mazdas are fairly popular around here ... and they're certainly NOT giving them away. Not too surprising that they don't sell well in the Midwest ...