Want to install VW 6-cd changer with current Monsoon DD deck

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
hello everybody, I tried to search but haven't found a thread that has an answer for my question.

I have a 04 Jetta with the following Monsoon double din CD/Tape player:

I have located a OEM VW 6-CD changer that I would like to purchase and install it in our jetta.

Would this setup work? I know I need to make sure I have the rectangle connector for the changer but are there any other issues or is it a plug and play setup?

Thank you!

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
Is the CD player from a Mark IV model? ETKA shows cd changer model numbers 1j5 035 111 A and 1j6 035 111 X for the 2004. If so there should be a plug for 6 CD changer in the trunk (and a bracket to mount it). If the bracket is not there you would need either a 1j5 035 201 D or a 1j0 035 234 A (side) bracket. You may have to recode the head unit using VCDS (vag-com), although it may "recognize" the player when you hook it up. I have the phatnoise and did not have to do any programming that I recall (been in for around 8 years though).

Last edited:

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
If the cable is back there it should work. I have a hacked PhatBox back there on the plug in my car, but I have the same head unit and the original intent for that plug is the 6-CD changer.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I had the changer in the 2000 Jetta. Never again. It was always getting jambed or cd error. I prefer the single in dash or like above, the PhatBox I have in the 03.
If the wire harness is in the changer location, I'm sure it will plug/play, but you may have to recode the headunit w/VCDS. Maybe/maybe not, but either way, if ir were me, I'ld save the bother and aggravation.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The hacked Phatbox I have in mine (~100GB disk) is insane and amazing; I love it. I could drive several times across the country and never hear the same song twice.

Incidentally you can remove the Phatbox from its case and it will then fit (just sitting, no mounting required) in the factory foamed place for the CD changer, which is EXTREMELY nice as it's completely hidden from view. I've had mine set that way now for years.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The hacked Phatbox I have in mine (~100GB disk) is insane and amazing; I love it. I could drive several times across the country and never hear the same song twice.

Incidentally you can remove the Phatbox from its case and it will then fit (just sitting, no mounting required) in the factory foamed place for the CD changer, which is EXTREMELY nice as it's completely hidden from view. I've had mine set that way now for years.
The one I have came in the car when IT bought it, so it's in the changer's location. The prior owner didn't even know it was there, so he didn't have the dock for it. A nice member on here borrowed me his so I could erase the recorded audio books and load my tunes.
Yes, I like it.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Hello everybody,

The headunit that I have in my car is the one that came with it, I never replaced it. I have a 2004 Jetta TDI and the headunit looks like the one above...pretty much the same thing I'm guessing.

In my trunk, to the left I do have the 6-cd changer cable and the little plastic thing that looks like it would mount to.

I was just more concerned of it working with my headunit, considering the head unit I have has a CD/Tape slot.

:)

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hello everybody,

The headunit that I have in my car is the one that came with it, I never replaced it. I have a 2004 Jetta TDI and the headunit looks like the one above...pretty much the same thing I'm guessing.

In my trunk, to the left I do have the 6-cd changer cable and the little plastic thing that looks like it would mount to.

I was just more concerned of it working with my headunit, considering the head unit I have has a CD/Tape slot.

:)
CD changer will work as it should, but you may/may not have to recode the headunit w/VCDS.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Yeah you just hit the "CD" button to cycle between the changer and the built-in slot. Works fine and in most cases it won't need to be recoded (it might be, but most of the time they plug right in and work unchanged.)

gayle

TDI
2003 vw golf gls tdi
where would I find this in my 2003 golf my radio plays cds but I do not know where the changer is.

gayle

TDI
2003 vw golf gls tdi
there has to be a changer somewhere in this little car because it is playing a cd from somewhere in my car, the stero does not have a place to insert a cd

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If OEM, open trunk and on the left side is a compartment you open with two turn knobs. Open the compartment and it should be in there. It's dark and black. A good light will help.

Just noticed you have a golf, not a Jetta sedan, so location may be different.

gayle

TDI
2003 vw golf gls tdi
Yes I have a panel in the hatch area marked sound it looks to be only the amp could there be a cd changer in front of it that I cant see or is there another place it may be?
he radio is blowing the fuse and my cel lamp does not come on at key test so I am trying to figure out where the short is the care runs fine can not pass smog yet.
:mad:

gayle

TDI
2003 vw golf gls tdi

Yes I have a panel in the hatch area marked sound it looks to be only the amp could there be a changer in from of it that I cant see or is there another place it may be?
he radio is blowing the fuse and my cel lamp does not come on at key test so I am trying to figure out where the short is the care runs fine can not pass smog yet.
:mad: