Pros and Cons for 205/60R16 VS 215/60R16 Tire Combo

Johnny_Law

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
I am aware of the common advantages and disadvantages of going from a 205 to a 215, but was wondering if anyone has any actual experience. I currently have 195/65R15 on the vehicle and am continually in the low 50’s for my combined MPG.

I am not going to race the car, but I would like the higher braking/cornering traction due to the larger tire contact patch of the 215’s for emergency situations. The total wheel weight will be approximately 1 pound lighter with the 205’s and 0.75 pounds heavier with the 215’s than the stock wheel combination.

Currently my 195’s are at the W/B and I am approximately 3 mph under the speedometer reading based on my GPS and those traffic speed signs. I did the math and with the 205’s I will be traveling approximately 1 mph over what the speedometer reads and 1.4 over with the 215’s based on the manufacturers data.

Thanks in advanced for your comments and if you have actual experience please state let me know!

Last edited:

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
having run 2 different sets of tires on my 16s (205/55R16), I can tell you that i couldn't beleive the difference between a set of touring Conti and a set of Perf Nokians. The nokians rode so much better - on ramps were way more fun!

deezelpower

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2015 Audi Q7 TDI
FYI, you're seeing 3 MPH over as that is by design by VW. By the odometer and internally to the car (i.e. ScanGauge), you'll find the speed is +- 1 MPH in accuracy.

If you change tire size to even out the speedometer, it will throw everything else out of sync and could wreak havoc with cruise control.

Johnny_Law

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
having run 2 different sets of tires on my 16s (205/55R16), I can tell you that i couldn't beleive the difference between a set of touring Conti and a set of Perf Nokians. The nokians rode so much better - on ramps were way more fun!
Were both the same aspect ratio?

Johnny_Law

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
FYI, you're seeing 3 MPH over as that is by design by VW. By the odometer and internally to the car (i.e. ScanGauge), you'll find the speed is +- 1 MPH in accuracy.

If you change tire size to even out the speedometer, it will throw everything else out of sync and could wreak havoc with cruise control.
Thanks for the information and not to be disagreeable, but how might it throw off the cruise control? The transmission output sensor located on the diff, as well as the ABS ring tone will still rotate at the same speed no matter which tire combo I run. However, in my original example the vehicle will cover a larger distance per tire revolution and the vehicle will then travel at a more accurate speed, but the computer won’t know that.

Currently my tires are at the W/B and the outside circumference is shorter than when they were new, but that has not caused any issues other than my speedometer indicating a higher MPH than actual just like any other car would.

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
Johnny Law , that would be one of my choice wheels as well. I would like them with 215/55/16 pilot exalto A/S.
I'm currently using 205/55/16 Pilot Exalto's on VW vr6 rims (Le Casteletas) this combo weighs about 42 lbs my winter tires are 195/65/15 on Avus rims these weigh in at 37 lbs' Im not looking forward to the extra weight when the winters come off.
Your combo would weigh in like a stock 15" with the grip of a 215 tread width, the ultralegeras are 7" wide so they can handle this well. Sounds great to me

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
Johnny Law , that would be one of my choice wheels as well. I would like them with 215/55/16 pilot exalto A/S.
I'm currently using 205/55/16 Pilot Exalto's on VW vr6 rims (Le Casteletas) this combo weighs about 42 lbs my winter tires are 195/65/15 on Avus rims these weigh in at 37 lbs' Im not looking forward to the extra weight when the winters come off.
Your combo would weigh in like a stock 15" with the grip of a 215 tread width, the ultralegeras are 7" wide so they can handle this well. Sounds great to me

Johnny_Law

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Thanks for your comments! I have never owned a car with 55 series tiers and don't want a supper rough ride, as it is a daily driver. I should just just drive one with 55's and see how I like it.

Later I plan on upgrading the struts and adding a rear sway bar along with better control arm bushings... but I bet the 55's would be fine and they would be a little lighter in weight. Another advantage is that my speedometer would just read like 0.5 faster than the car is going. Did you loose any MPG with the 215's over your original 205's or 195's?

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
I think you will like the 55 series. My 205/55/16 pilot exaltos are almost as comfortable as my 195/65/15 with pilot exaltos. The only thing I don't like about the 16 combo is the extra weight but you have that covered with the Ultralegeras.
If I had those wheels i would definitely go with the 215/55/16 if for nothing else for the .4 inch larger diameter.
As for MPG I think the weight is the biggest issue.

deezelpower

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the information and not to be disagreeable, but how might it throw off the cruise control? The transmission output sensor located on the diff, as well as the ABS ring tone will still rotate at the same speed no matter which tire combo I run. However, in my original example the vehicle will cover a larger distance per tire revolution and the vehicle will then travel at a more accurate speed, but the computer won’t know that.

Currently my tires are at the W/B and the outside circumference is shorter than when they were new, but that has not caused any issues other than my speedometer indicating a higher MPH than actual just like any other car would.
True, that.

Some folks who have changed out their 5th gear to a higher ratio have complained about cruise control woes. Since the speed variation is universal with a wheel diameter change (instead of just 5th gear), it may not affect cruise at all. Cool.

My cruise control almost always pops out if I'm burning B100 and towing at the same time in 5th, but that's because it falls out of spec for how the ECU "thinks" the car should respond to throttle changes (10% less power + heavy load) and it doesn't...!

Last edited:

Johnny_Law

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
True, that.

My cruise control almost always pops out if I'm burning B100 and towing at the same time in 5th, but that's because it falls out of spec for how the ECU "thinks" the car should respond to throttle changes (10% less power + heavy load) and it doesn't...!
Wow, I would not have thought that B100 would cause that, but that is some good information. Have you always had good results with B100 and does the car smoke less under WOT? I only have B20 in the area and I add it to a 5 gallon fuel container and let it sit over night. My goal is for any water in the fuel to end up on the bottom of the can before I use my transfer pump to add four gallons of it to the vehicle for a final B5 blend. Some might think that is overly cautions.:D

deezelpower

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, I would not have thought that B100 would cause that, but that is some good information. Have you always had good results with B100 and does the car smoke less under WOT? I only have B20 in the area and I add it to a 5 gallon fuel container and let it sit over night. My goal is for any water in the fuel to end up on the bottom of the can before I use my transfer pump to add four gallons of it to the vehicle for a final B5 blend. Some might think that is overly cautions.:D
Other than the noticeable loss in power and mileage, I've never had smoke at WOT (unless the engine is cold) with or without BioD so I can't comment on that. It sure makes less smoke in my 5HP aircooled diesel though. :D

B20 is a great blend--power/mileage losses are barely noticeable and you get the benefits of better lube and smoothness. B100 burns VERY smooth in the TDI, and reduces coarseness of the engine, at least in the PD's.

Johnny_Law

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Johnny_Law did you get the tires and wheels on yet? any pictures?
I was going to order at the end of the month and throw them on in April. I just want to find a good coupon before I order them. I drove a 205/55R16 and they were great so I will be going with the 215/55R16's in a Yokohama:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...HR6ENVXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I really liked these ones, but the tire life is just to short in my opinion:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...5WR6ECDW&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

These ones are three pounds lighter as well.

Johnny_Law

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
J_L, I'll bet you can't wait to get them on the wagon.
I am envious.
LOL, thanks silverbox! Yeah, I hope to have the new wheels on in a few weeks, but I have to wax them good before I put them on. My car will be down for a week while I send out the injectors and clean the turbo, intake, intercooler and a few other parts.