ALH slow build

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Well I finally got tired of the intermittent smoke of my high mileage modded tdi, so I'm going to start a fresh build that I hope will be ready to install sometime next spring. That is, if things go as planed! Ultimately, my goal is closer to 200tq, while still trying to maintain fuel eco. With my current setup, at 328k miles, I can't break 32mpg, and it's been a steady decline over the past year.
What I'm starting with is a bare block from a 2003 NB that was originally used as a WVO burner. Has miled scuffing to the honing marks, but only 120k on the block. I'm going to re hone it, then send it to a machinist to tank clean it and measure for out of round-ness.
I also have the head off the same engine, with bad valve stem seals, that I need to get ahold of Franko6 to see how much it'll cost to have him go through it, port/polish, and stage 2 cam it for me.

Next thing on the menu, my current engine has a brand new VNT17 and DLC1019's in them. I was hoping to move them over straight to the engine. I don't want to go with the crazy cost of a GTB or the scarceness of a 17/22. I might step up the nozzles to 764's, but I want to keep fuel eco in mind, as it'll be my daily. Don't know yet. Seen lots of folks still hit low 40s in town with bigger turbos/nozzles than I.

Connecting rods and pistons. Next big question. What should I go with? I know the max HP you can squeeze from a Vnt17 is almost 200hp, and I'd like to hit as close to that as possible. So, gotta upgrade the guts. Another question for Franko6? Sheesh really should just call that guy. I plan to stick with a stock bottom end past that. No girdle or upgraded crank. Definitely will get an upgraded oil pump though.

Intake, intercooling, piping. I plan to keep my modded BRM intake with EGR cooler. Because Oregon emissions. Pfft. I'd prefer to stay with SMIC, but I currently have all stock pipings. Upgrade? Yay? Nay? OMI? Input is welcome.

Drivetrain. I already have 188mm brakes up front courteous of a wrecking yard 1.8t. I am quite happy with the stopping power. As much as I'd love to get an audi TT rear end welded in for 4mo, definitely not in the budget. So I'm thinking LSD, plus I have an EUH trans out of a late MKIV, so I'll have the taller 5th like I've wanted. Should I upgrade to VR6 half shafts while I'm in there?

Ultimately, the trans and engine I'm building are both in my garage, so my car won't be down while I'm building. So progress will be slow as my wife let's me build it :)

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
some items seem a bit overkill for 200hp
why go nuts on the head. i was running 230 hp on a gt2052, 764's and a list of supporting mods.
if your goal is 200, go with a better turbo than the 17 and hit those 764's hard with 11mm ip, cam, some general DIY blending and gasket matched head porting, pd150 and supplement the rest with water/meth injection. there is more to this list.

i love franks head jobs and its on my wish list build but for 200hp, the $ can be better put elsewhere. have you seen some of my posts how i am able to get a reliable 50mpg on average with this set up and it smokes like a coal factory when i put it down.

Im not sure why your set up is getting such poor fuel econ. probably a failing turbo or jacked up nozzles.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I've also been wondering what the efficiency issue was.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I mean I can definitely start a new thread on it, but the turbo is brand new from Cascade German, pump fresh rebuilt from DFIS, and injectors built and balanced through Kerma, I assume done by DBW. At this point I'm thinking valves not sealing properly or tired valve springs. I did buy the engine in its original car at 322k miles, with who knows what kind of maintenance done on it.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And Mongler, I'd love to get a bigger turbo, but the cost is what's shying me away. I know I saw your specs somewhere but can't remember what exactly they were. Also, I want to try to stay away from water meth, due to not wanting another fluid to refill, or more forget to refill. 200hp was just a rough number to throw out because I thought that's the max the Vnt17 can push.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Turbo cost is why I'm still running a "S7"

Maybe if a good paying IT job ever opens up, maybe I can have all 3 tdis tuned and some Frank heads

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So with my goals, should I stick with stock internals and stock head/cam? Or should I save up and get at least a gtb2056vk?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
When I pulled my head, the valves had 3mm of side to side play. And the ports were clogged up.
I did a port and gasket match, very basic, and had new guides put in and relived with better valves and springs and new lifters. Mpg did not really go up or down much. Maybe a bit but with the way I drive lol.
Might be worth getting a scan gauge 2 and seeing how your driving habbit is effecting mpg. You should be able to tone it down a bit on your habits and get 45 to 50. The way I typically drive my beast, I'm lucky to get 30mpg. But if I cruise control highway I'll get into the 50s

What tune are you running. Might be worth having it remapped for better econ.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have a Malone stage 4, max boost I've seen is 22.5psi. I have a scan gauge, and the last two tanks I've tried to be as easy as possible on the throttle, my average fuel eco by the end of my trip says anywhere from 38-48mpg, but my calculated at fillup still says 32.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
more boost. you might not be smoking much but every little bit helps. also how does the boost curve look? the only way i know how to get more fuel econ is by making more boost down low (behind the power curve) only way to do that is by changing the fuel map or the turbo characteristics.
not sure a new build is going to get better mpg, maybe some, but that sounds about right for my car. i only get anything north of 40 if i dont touch the pedal!. when i race, track or autocross, i get 8mpg, no seriously.