700 Mile club Who's in?

sparetimetoys

TDI
2002 jette Black
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

I did it /images/graemlins/smile.gif 700 miles on a tank. fuel light came on with a little way to go but I hung in for the big 700 /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Did a bunch of coasting in neutral this car rolls great. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Im vented, and egr off, 8 oz power service, 42 psi in tires. What range do you get and how do you manage to do it.

Arthur

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

715 miles - 16.11 gallons

This was my best score and furthurst distance travelled. I ran 35 psi, 75 % highway driving at 60 mph almost never over that speed, powerservice + regular diesel.

martytdi

TDI
2010 jetta tdi sport wagon
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

After a trip to upstate ny and the rest driving to work and back I got 712 miles before my fuel light came on. I filled up and got 46.5 MPG. Not record breaking milage but with venting and getting decent milage 700 miles is easy. The challange is 800 miles. A trip with minimal stops and not traveling too fast, keeping it around 65 mph I can see getting 800 miles on a tank. I want to try...

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

[ QUOTE ]
Did a bunch of coasting in neutral this car rolls great

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd actually get even better milage if you left the car in gear (provided you've got a manual) with the engine over-running...results in zero fuel consumption.

This comes in handy for my commute as I travel a 5 mile long hill on the way to work....of course it takes a little more fuel coming back up in the afternoon.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

Every tank...

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 5 sp., 2003, Silver/Grey Int.
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

Dang it, missed by 25 miles. But, that tank had 140 miles towing a JD tractor - tractor/trailer combined weigh 1785#.
The hitch says 2,000# max! /images/graemlins/blush.gif filled up with 15.85 gal. That tank also had quite a few miles @ 75-80 mph. (USA)

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

Last year I went 782 miles after filling with venting, before the low fuel light came on.
Was running about 65 MPH all highway for all but about 15 miles of that, coming from Dayton OH
to back home. Decided I should fill up then instead of trying to get into the 800 mile club
since the next diesel station at that time of night was about 50 miles up the road and I
didn't know if it would be open when I got there..

Another time comeing from Rock Springs, WY to home, I went 745 miles with no low fuel light.
At that time I was running 78 MPH, according to GPS. For the first 640 miles of that trip I
didn't have to even touch the clutch after getting on I-80. After that, low bladder capacity
caused a pit stop about 100 miles from home.. /images/graemlins/frown.gif Its amazing how many times the same people
will pass you on a trip like this. I think one car passed me doing about 85 MPH 4 times
before I had to pull off the I'state.. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Several others passed me 2-3 times.. I wonder
who was actually making better time! haa haa!

Car has Mich. MXV-4's, 5 speed, .205 injectors, RC 3.1 chip, EGR got lost someplace too.. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Best to be driving with the wind too. One time with 3 bikes on the back, 30+ MPH head wind
and running 70 MPH I got about 39-40 MPG over a 400 mile highway jaunt... that sucked!

Drive ON!

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

800 is attainable on the highway. I've gotten over 700 before, I just didn't pay attention.

Couleetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <font color="blue">Just filled tonite on way back from Minnesota, visiting my cousin. Would have gone for the 800 mile thingy, but had not run the gauge this low before. Had plenty of room, even though just above empty line.
51.1 mpg/775.3 miles on 15.167 gallons. Filled with Cenex Roadmaster Premium XL Low Sulphur at $1.859. Prices went up three cents since this am. First 545 miles (about) were all in town and back and forth to work. </font>
<font color="purple">This tank was run with the Milligan Canola oil additive, first tank. I had two guys asking me about mileage while filling up. After filling, I started her up, and they could not believe how quiet the engine was, well me either. So both had to sit in the car and play for a few minutes. I paid for the fuel, then they asked to go for a short ride. Did that. I think we have two more winners. One guy had an older Rabbit diesel and loved it. </font>
So we'll see what happens with future tanks on Milligan diesel fuel conditioner which uses Canola Oil. So far I'm sold, it sure has made the engine quieter.
Couleekid

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

If you stick to the speed limit 700 should be attainable on almost every tank in a A4 Golf or Jetta. The sticking to the speed limit thing is the bigger achievement! /images/graemlins/grin.gif If you can do that, 700 is a non-event.

MCA

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

700 miles is even easy if you drive like a madman. My last tank was driven, shall we say, with enthusiasm /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I filled up at 684 miles but the low-fuel light wasn't even on. I only refuelled today because it was convenient and I had a 200 km drive today.

And this is with the supposedly thirstier PD. All you ALH or older folks, should have absolutely no trouble seeing 700 miles, in fact my previous ALH routinely gave me 750 miles. Provided you vent properly to fill to max capacity.

mobe

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

If you are ventectomized and averaging 47.8 MPG as you list in your profile, you should hit 700+ miles/tank every time you fill.
Perhaps this is the first time you've let the fuel light come on? If not I would get the fuel light recalibrated with a VAG-Com.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

Filled up today at 884 miles with 15.7 gallons. Probably had a gallon left.
(ps, that's a 2000 Beetle with RC3.1 and RR.205)

orenero

Veteran Member
TDI
DIESEL
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

[ QUOTE ]
I did it /images/graemlins/smile.gif 700 miles on a tank. fuel light came on with a little way to go but I hung in for the big 700 /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Did a bunch of coasting in neutral this car rolls great. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Im vented, and egr off, 8 oz power service, 42 psi in tires. What range do you get and how do you manage to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in the club!!! Workin on the 800 mile club now...

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
884 miles with 15.7 gallons.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow!

[/ QUOTE ]

__. I filled up late last week at 951 on 15.2 gallons (62.6 MPG). (I'm doing my Instrument Rating and I have to drive about 80 each way to the FBO - my instructor is doing "fire patrol" for Weyerheuser Paper and we can't fly until about 4:00 PM so I get to travel during the quiet time of the day -- makes it easy to cruise.) I consider 62+ MPG a "real wow!"

__. I joined the 700 mile club on my 4th tank, the 800 mile club on the next tank after that. I've done a number of 900 mile tanks and one at 1023 miles (and the one last week would easily have gone over 1000 but I was passing the cheapest fuel in the State). I love this car!
-

TDItech

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI GLS Galactic Blue, 2000 Eurovan with ALH fromthe 02 Jetta
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

700 is a cake walk, 800 is even pretty easy. My best is 1,012 on 16.4 gal. Drove from Seattle, WA to Missoula, MT and back on one tank. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

763 miles on a tank about a week ago. About 430 miles from Northern New Jersey to Impexfest3 and back, with the rest suburban driving to and from work about 22 miles each way. Took 15.1 gallons yielding 50.5 mpg.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

[ QUOTE ]
1,012 on 16.4 gal

[/ QUOTE ]
Excellent. I ran out at 980 or so trying to break 1000!

2004jettagl

TDI
2004 Jetta White 5 Speed
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

Joined 700 mile club today & 800 club also. 2106 miles on odometer now. Went 806.6 miles using 14.56 gallons and vented = 55.39 MPG . I'm Impressed & Proud!!! Walmart diesel Fuel with 6 oz of power service silver bottle. Speeds 57 to 65 mph 90% highway during 10 days of travel.Tires Mitchlin Energy @ 43 PSI.

Tango_Kilo

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2004, reflex silver
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

I joined on my last tank. 725 miles on 15.9 gallons of biodiesel (approx. B88) with roughly two thirds highway driving, 44psi cold in the tires and a diesel guzzling PD with 5,500 miles on the clock.

hooville

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, 2016 GTI, 2015 TDI Sportwagen S
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

Just rolled over 18K miles, have gotten into the 800 Mile Club once (mostly highway), and the 700 Mile Club perhaps 3-4 times. My driving is split about 40% hwy/60% urban with little or no gridlock: it could be better, but I'm content averaging 43-44mpg! We've been using biodiesel since she was new, and that also impacts mileage a bit. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Kent

fosterbnb

TDI
'01 Jetta TDI, Silver/blk leather
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

My average tank is 617 miles(28 fill up's) with 5 over 700 (757 best to date) and I'm making run to 800 now(620 with 1/4 showing on the guage-it's going to be close!) I have filled up 28 times since last July when I bought it...In my old car('88 BMW 325i conv) I would have filled up at least 50 times @ 10 min each time that has saved almost 4 hours and $609 in fuel cost--yes, I Love this experience!

VDubVerruckt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL, Reflex Silver
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

I've been there numerous times now. Friends and family are amazed whenever they see that I have over 700 miles on the tripmeter. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm still dreaming of an 800-mile-tank... /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Here's a pic of the first time I hit 700 miles. (Almost 10,000 miles ago)

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

My last well vented tank got me to 720 miles. Thats while doing 80mph and with the AC. I'd love to get more but I just can't keep my right foot from over-pressurizing the right pedal... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

watercop

Veteran Member
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

I've had a couple tanks over 1100, both achieved on deliberately long, boring and slow trips in the southeast.

Flat roads, shorter gears, higher tire pressure, lower oil viscosity, temperate weather, optimized injection quantity, and, above all, very slow speeds (50-60 mph) can all come together to yield approx 70 mpg. 70 mpg yields a 1100 mile tank on approx 16 gallons of fuel, but the low fuel light is on for well over an hour, and that gets a bit nerve racking.

TomTDI

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, Indigo Blue, Grey Leather
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

Me! I'm in!!

My lifetime average mileage between fillups is 701.74 miles. The best I've done is 761 miles, and the worst, other than the very first tank from the dealer, is 631 miles. I would love to get to 800 someday, but staring at the "low fuel" light for an hour starts making me nervous. I vent every tank (considering doing the Ventectomy at my 20K service, upcoming shortly) and add 4 oz. of Stanadyne Performance formula at every fillup. My average fill is 14.91 gallons of fuel, plus the 0.0325 gallons of additive. That works out to just over 47 MPG. I've had my 2003 Jetta Wagon for about 13 months, and have over 19,000 miles on it. I've switched to Shell Premium diesel fuel recently, but I cannot say that I see a big difference in mileage from the XtraMart "standard" diesel I used to get. The price is the same on them now where I live ($1.699).

I have the 5-speed manual, and tend to drive "spiritedly," following Pete's (DBW's) shifting advice and occasionally getting over 4K RPM. Like I stole it? Yeah, OK! /images/graemlins/wink.gif I'm usually the only one in the car, or it's me and my 2-year-old son. Usually long trips (22 miles one way is a short trip to day care, 75 miles one way to work is the norm, and 200 miles one way to a customer has happened a lot). I think the wagon somehow has better aerodynamic efficiency (though it looks like a box) than the sedan, and that shows up in the mileage. I keep my OEM Michelin MXV4+ tires at 38 PSI - best compromise of mileage and ride quality for me. Hope that helps!

Tom

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

[ QUOTE ]
Me! I'm in!!

My lifetime average mileage between fillups is 701.74 miles. The best I've done is 761 miles, and the worst, other than the very first tank from the dealer, is 631 miles. I would love to get to 800 someday, but staring at the "low fuel" light for an hour starts making me nervous. I vent every tank (considering doing the Ventectomy at my 20K service, upcoming shortly) and add 4 oz. of Stanadyne Performance formula at every fillup. My average fill is 14.91 gallons of fuel, plus the 0.0325 gallons of additive. That works out to just over 47 MPG. I've had my 2003 Jetta Wagon for about 13 months, and have over 19,000 miles on it. I've switched to Shell Premium diesel fuel recently, but I cannot say that I see a big difference in mileage from the XtraMart "standard" diesel I used to get. The price is the same on them now where I live ($1.699).

I have the 5-speed manual, and tend to drive "spiritedly," following Pete's (DBW's) shifting advice and occasionally getting over 4K RPM. Like I stole it? Yeah, OK! /images/graemlins/wink.gif I'm usually the only one in the car, or it's me and my 2-year-old son. Usually long trips (22 miles one way is a short trip to day care, 75 miles one way to work is the norm, and 200 miles one way to a customer has happened a lot). I think the wagon somehow has better aerodynamic efficiency (though it looks like a box) than the sedan, and that shows up in the mileage. I keep my OEM Michelin MXV4+ tires at 38 PSI - best compromise of mileage and ride quality for me. Hope that helps!

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

The variant is less aerodynamic than the sedan.

Cx for sedan: .30

Cx for variant: .32

There's no variant more aerodynamic than a sedan, foggetaboutit. /images/graemlins/wink.gif