Smyth UTE - the MKIV Jetta/Golf Pickup Conversion kit is HERE!

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
We've been working hard at Smyth Performance to bring you the Jetta/Golf pickup truck conversion kit. The kit won't be ready to ship for a couple more months while we tool up... but I know a lot of you folks will be excited about this latest creation.

Forgive the bondo - customer kits will include complete body panels - we use bondo to finish making the correct shapes. Customers will have some body work to do, nothing like you see in our prototype.

Working tailgate from a Ford Ranger Flareside
Taillights and rear body from Jetta Wagon + Explorer Sportrac
Rear Window slides open, from Toyota pickup
Wheel wells and bed will hold most ATVs and motorcycles under 750lb
Exceptionally strong aluminum extrusions for the bed
Easy access to the spare tire and fuel pump under the bed!

I can't wait for production! There are going to be a lot of fun things we can do with this vehicle. Custom 5th wheel setups and ultralite teardrop trailers should be getting 40mpg! Racks for ladders and custom toolboxes will make an extremely utilitarian little Jetta! OR you could be the first to show up to the autocross or track with your custom super high power FWD pickup!

As you can see, our prototype is a bit of a low-rider...

My Ute will be lifted, of course, with a big steel front bumper and winch. :D

Last edited:

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Looks interesting! What's been done to the cab to reinforce the structure? I mean it started life as a unibody car...

manual_tranny

TDI
Structurally, the truck is overbuilt. There is a rollbar that is integral to the rear cab. The bedsides and front are tubular trusses reinforced with thick 1/8" steel gussets AND 1/16" steel. Just like our mid engined car, this machine is a brick house. We tie into all the pertenent reinforced parts of the unibody so that we can make our finished product stronger than the original vehicle.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Very cool.
Subscribed.
Now watching for a rear ended Jetta.

manual_tranny

TDI
Very cool.
Subscribed.
Now watching for a rear ended Jetta.
Thanks!

Don't get a car that is too mangled... we don't chop as much off to make the truck as we do to make the G3F! We also tie into the rear shock mount area and wheel wells... any useful material is reused, mostly to make up the bottom of our bed sides' trusses.

For this prototype we welded in the rear doors to get the shape, but future builds will have fiberglass molds to cover the rear doors which we remove. Since the rear doors are part of the structure of the car, we have made sure to reinforce this area well.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
Happen to have any pics showing what areas are needed to be good/ existing etc?

I tried to stop by to see you at SEMA (local motors, right?) but you weren't around and we were in a rush.

manual_tranny

TDI
Happen to have any pics showing what areas are needed to be good/ existing etc?

I tried to stop by to see you at SEMA (local motors, right?) but you weren't around and we were in a rush.
I'll post some pictures tomorrow to help show what we use...

We are Smyth Performance, and we are an independent company. While we are not Local Motors and we are not Factory Five Racing, Mark is the founder of Factory Five racing and he helped found Local Motors. He is on the board of directors at Local Motors with Jay Rogers and Bree Pettis, the founder of MakerBot.

The Smyth Performance team is small but dedicated. Mark and I are on R&D, ordering materials, setting up tools, tech support, writing the manuals, maintaining shop vehicles, etc. I asked for an internship, and I got my dream job.. but like many startup dream jobs, it's a lot of work! :)

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll post some pictures tomorrow to help show what we use...

We are Smyth Performance, and we are an independent company. We are not Local Motors and we are not Factory Five Racing. Mark founded Factory Five racing and he helped found Local Motors... he is on the board of directors at Local Motors with Jay Rogers and Bree Pettis, the founder of MakerBot.

The Smyth Performance team is small but dedicated. Mark and I are on R&D, ordering materials, setting up tools, tech support, writing the manuals, maintaining shop vehicles, etc. I asked for an internship, and I got my dream job.. but like many startup dream jobs, it's a lot of work! :)

I know who you guys are, but for some reason I came across the info that Mark was hanging out at a certain booth at SEMA 13, (some note about never bringing unfinished projects). But it sounds like that info was incorrect.

manual_tranny

TDI
I know who you guys are, but for some reason I came across the info that Mark was hanging out at a certain booth at SEMA 13, (some note about never bringing unfinished projects). But it sounds like that info was incorrect.
OH! Yes he was at SEMA with Local Motors that day! Sorry I forgot about that!

xbiker423

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GL
Woah. This looks like a really cool concept. Are you guys actually in New Bedford? I have no idea where that is in MA, but it can't be that far. I may be interested in swinging by sometime....

manual_tranny

TDI
We're in Wareham, I just live in New Bedford. Give me a call if you want to stop by, we are happy to have visitors most days.

(810) 394-5040

Mike

We have been able to keep the price at $3500, and by making the kit in pieces we are able to avoid freight shipping. Costs have been kept down, but make no mistake, this is a beefy reinforced frame that keeps the Jetta frame from twisting.

www.facebook.com/smythperformance

Last edited:

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Just a curiosity question--why are the wheel wells inside the bed so tall and run out so far toward the back?

BTW love the concept. I wish we could still get the caddy here.

Last edited:

manual_tranny

TDI
Just a curiosity question--why are the wheel wells inside the bed so tall and run out so far toward the back?

BTW love the concept. I wish we could still get the caddy here.
Lots of reasons!

1. We thought the teardrop fenders looked awesome
2. We can have them produced for us in steel for a reasonable cost (tooling already exists for these dimensions)
3. They are very strong
4. Jetta/Golf wheel wells are enormous, (especially the one on the passenger side of the car), so they need enormous covers
5. We presume that an ATV can ride up over the wheel wells and securely fall into place
6. It's a BA hotrod Jetta truck and it has a lot of style!

:)

Smooth_Puddin

TDI
03 Jetta TDi Wagon 6 Speed
You guys must smoke a lot of pot lol.

Nice to see your visions a reality. Still not sold on the high wheel arches in the bed, doesn't make sense to me.

manual_tranny

TDI
Nice to see your visions a reality. Still not sold on the high wheel arches in the bed, doesn't make sense to me.
If you're building a custom vehicle, you can build it however you see fit. Our wheel arches can be cut off and replaced with whatever shapes you find attractive.

Last edited:

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Lots of reasons!

1. We thought the teardrop fenders looked awesome
2. We can have them produced for us in steel for a reasonable cost (tooling already exists for these dimensions)
3. They are very strong
4. Jetta/Golf wheel wells are enormous, (especially the one on the passenger side of the car), so they need enormous covers
5. We presume that an ATV can ride up over the wheel wells and securely fall into place
6. It's a BA hotrod Jetta truck and it has a lot of style!

All valid reasons. I figured #4 had something to do with it. But it's obvious that #6 is the most important reason. After all if you're going to take on a project like this and bring it to the masses, it has to be BA :D

Would love to see one up close!

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
How much weight do you expect you could actually get in the back of one of these, seems the golf rear suspension isnt that beefy, put 4 adults in one and she sags.

And I agree on the teardrop fenders, looks too slammed Toyoda mini truck style to me.

manual_tranny

TDI
How much weight do you expect you could actually get in the back of one of these, seems the golf rear suspension isnt that beefy, put 4 adults in one and she sags.
Good questions! With more than two years of discussion, research, and design invested in this project, we are confident that the loads we specify will be hauled without any issue. Simply put, the GVWR of the vehicle officially stays the same as it was before the conversion. This actually means that our truck can haul an extra 100-200lbs over the Jetta because our finished weight will be lower than the original Jetta/Golf.

The rear seats and doors are heavy, somewhere around 200-250lbs combined. The roof and rear glass is not very heavy despite appearing to be the largest part of the vehicle, but removing that part of the shell ads another ~50lbs or so. The rear hatch/trunk is heavy. Because our reinforced vehicle is stronger and lighter than the original, we expect that 1000-1200lbs of humans + cargo should be approaching the GVWR. Hopefully, it is obvious to most folks that the vehicle is still a Jetta/Golf and that we have not added a separate chassis and cab. This vehicle is not meant to haul 5 yards of sand home from the local quarry! :)

The discussion of how much weight is safe is already on TDICLUB several places. There are plenty of folks who have airbags in their rear springs to eliminate sag while towing heavier loads. Also, some folks switch to the stiffer Jetta Wagon springs installed in their Jetta/Golf, and/or they have lift kits installed. Show what you tow!

From another TDIClub thread:
Golf towing Airstream Trailer

Hauling a heavy load is unsafe!
YOU should never exceed the GVWR of your vehicle!
YOU should do what makes you feel warm and fuzzy at all times!

You might have guessed.. I do not follow my own rules.

I had my tow dolly at TDIFEST 2011, and I was able to tow a broken VW Jetta to Paramedick's house for a late-night repair.
I've also towed a Chevy S10 across town at 30mph, and I once towed my friend's Saab a few miles on a snowy winter day.

Use of the stronger springs from the Jetta Wagon (pricey) or uprated springs from RockAuto (stiffer and quite inexpensive but poor paint) can help reduce sag near the GVWR. Rear axle bushings and shock absorbers can also be replaced or upgraded. Some of the 'sag' you see in old overloaded cars is simply due to worn bushings and mounts. Airbags can be installed inside the rear springs to level your load even if you're being a dummy and loading up with too much weight.

Of course, if you're going to be hauling a significant amount of weight, you should at make sure that your brakes, tires, and all of your suspension components are well maintained. The stock brakes are actually quite strong when they are working. Larger tires with higher load rating may help premature tire wear and improve control when towing or hauling 'heavy' loads. Common sense stuff like driving more carefully when loaded obviously applies.

duwem said:
And I agree on the teardrop fenders, looks too slammed Toyoda mini truck style to me.
We do our best to make a vehicle that will appeal to the largest number of people.

The vehicle in the picture is lowered! Lowering is not a part of our kit. It is simply a statement of style AND it helps increase efficiency on the road by reducing drag under the vehicle. If you're building a pickup, your choice of suspension, ride height, power, traction, and all other options are up to you. While our kit is complete, our customers are able to make any changes they see fit to personalize it. Changing the shape of the bed to whatever awesome shape you want is easy, and costs no more than steel sheets, tubes, a plasma cutter, a mig welder, a grinder, a jar of elbow grease and a can of paint.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I very much like what I see. I might not sell that extra Jetta I have in back after all.

I have six questions:

1) Are all the parts you mentioned in the first list included? Meaning, I don't need to go chasing a tailgate or rear window, do I?
2) How has access to the fuel tank changed?
3) Is the full rearward travel of the seats retained?
4) What are the dimensions of the cargo area?
5) If I come pick up the parts myself, how many trips to pack it in the back of a Golf?
6) Will the kit accomodate a 2-dr Golf?

Last edited:

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
5) If I come pick up the parts myself, how many trips to pack it in the back of a Golf?
I don't know, but I'm guessing this is more of a show what you tow kind of job than back of a golf.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I don't know, but I'm guessing this is more of a show what you tow kind of job than back of a golf.
Probably, but I don't have a tow hitch and am not going to put one on. The other part is, I live close enough that I really could make multiple trips!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
That is like having a prize fight and then asking who wins when only 1 guy shows up. The answer is obvious.:rolleyes:
So you're saying we can't make comparisons just because we don't have a U.S. Saveiro owner in TDI Club? Then I suggest absolutely NO comparisons with any TDI NOT sold in these United States. Maybe that would stop the whining about what Europe gets vs. what these United States get. ;)