Ford Mondeo TDCi

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
The Mondeo now has a good diesel engine and a superb chassis. It is still a good diesel, but not a superd diesel, so it's an also ran from the first day, which ain't good for Ford.

If they couldn't cope with the technology of VWs PD engines then they should have gone for more capacity as Peugeot and others did.

I'd rather go back to my first love, Peugeot, with the 2.2 HDI motor. For my purposes the 406 2.2 HDI with seven seats takes some beating.

[ December 23, 2001: Message edited by: christi ]</p>

Silverarrow

Veteran Member
What about the brilliant new Nissan Primera (see this month's Diesel Car). It looks a peach with chocolate sauce on

By the way Christi my first Diesel was an XUD engined Peugeot 306 in 1994. It was the worst built car I have ever driven I only kept it 18 months.

It squeaked, hattled , hummed and creaked like a S.O.B. Never mind all the mechanical faults.

I said never again, if that was all British Workers could manage at that Ryton Plant it is time they got their P45's

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
Yes, the older Peugoets were much better built. I had 305s and a 504s. These were really solid, French built cars.

It all went horribly wrong when the 205, 309 and 405 came out. The engines were great on those cars, and they were fast due to the light weight construction, and handled well too, but I remember that my sisters 309 had several bits matches and bits of card jammed in the dashboard to stop it creaking, the Lucas injection pump blew up at 120,000 miles, and the rear suspension seized.

Still, I think that the current offerings are much better. The 406 in particular is a nice car.