Towing Revisted Jetta TDI 2011 Automatic

Lonecrow

TDI
2011 Jetta Highline
I've found "some" posts about towing with a 2011 Jetta with the DSG but nothing really definitive.

The specs are no more than 200 lbs tongue and 2000lbs towing. Now that does include the weight of the actual trailer too?

Also I keep reading that towing with an automatic is taboo. I only plan on getting a 4x8ft trailer to get the occasional lumber, half yard of dirt or stone, and possibly bringing a snowmobile or ATV up north. At the most the ATV would be about 800lbs.

Would adding a transmission cooler to this help the fact its an automatic? Or should I just drive with it in manual mode to try and keep the rpm's low?

Any advice?

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
I saw a guy towing 2 dirt bikes on a small trailer in a sportwagen recently, seemed to have no problem. However, I would think that weight DOES include the trailer, so choose wisely :)

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
It does include trailer, other wise you could tow a lawn more trailer at 100 lbs or a empty uhaul at 500 lb, and that would make a huge difference in overall weight.
not sure if it was MK6 specific or somewhere else, but there is a cool thread called "show what you tow" might be of some help.

EDIT: here you are. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=255330 Itll give you somethign to read through for a while

Lonecrow

TDI
2011 Jetta Highline
Thanks for the link. I'm just wondering about the transmission, that's really the only thing I worry about and how it would handle a long 8hr trip. I want to take an ATV or snowmobile on a trip eventually.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I wouldn't worry excessively about the transmission cooler with the DSG. Eventhough it is an automatic gear selection and clutch engagement it has no torque converter that is the greatest contributor to heat in an "automatic" transmission.
The pump and fluid only provide gear selection and clutch engagement through the Magatronic valve.
The heat build up towing should be little if any greater than a manual transmission. That lack of heat build up is why the thing is almost as efficeint as a manual transmission.
The computer clutch engagement is probably better than 99 % of the manual drivers can do. Of course the manual drivers would dissagree!
I have seen ratings on european sites that rate the DSG higher than the manual transmission.
I think the British VW site gives 75KG tow bar weight and 1500KG towing limits (With trailer brekes). The limiting factor seems to be the trailer breaking rather than the load rating.
Towing capacity from UKTOWING = 1889 lbs. for the 2009 Sportwagen TDI.
http://www.uktow.com/towing capacity.asp
VW specs for the JSW:
Manual and DSG with brakes 1500 KG
Manual unbraked 740 KG.
DSG unbraked 750 KG.
Tongue (both) weight 75 KG
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/golf-estate-a6/which-model/engines/overview

All in all I think that it is no worry for towing 750 KG (1650 lbs.) witout brakes and
the limit of 1500 KG. (3300 lbs) with brakes would give some comfort about the towing ability of the setup.
This is for the Golf variant (JSW).
The NEw Golf is rated 630 manual (unbraked) 1500 (braked)
640 DSG (unbraked) 1500 ( braked)
As you can see the limiting factor is more braking than towing capability as far as load rating on the drivetrain is concerned.
I guess it depends more on your comfort with the braking capabilities of the combination.
Obviously the JSW will tow more than the golf by 100 KG (220 lbs),but the drivetrain is the same.

gtab55

TDI
TDI
I was in Germany and saw a Golf Variant (JSW) pulling a horse trailer. I could not tell whether or not it was with horses, but was still impressive.

Lonecrow

TDI
2011 Jetta Highline
So I put the hitch on and a 4x8 trailer and it seems fine. Although the trailer is pretty light it wobbles and such around 80kms but if I have a load it seems more stable. I can only really take half a yard of gravel or dirt etc. But it tows it without any issue at all even under braking it is fine.

Just worry about the transmission on long trips if it'll be ok.

Also anyone recommend a good place to buy some bags? The back end does droop very easily I noticed. Need something to stiffen the rear shocks a bit.