Interior lights stay on after closing the doors

Normally the interior lights turn off automatically after closing the doors. Well, there is a delay of a few seconds, but they have to switch out. Sometimes the interior lights of my car remain on, even if I lock the doors by key. There is no difference between locking by remote key or manually.

If the locking is working properly, the hazard flasher are blinking shortly. If the problem occur (interior lights stay on) and I am locking the doors by key, the hazard flasher are not blinking although the doors will be locked physically. The only way to fix the problem myself is: Sticking the key back into the ignition lock, turning to the ON position (1 position before the motor starts), turning back to the OFF position and removing the key finally. When I am closing the doors after that procedure took place, the interior lights always switch out as they have to.

My dealer told me this problem may happen sometimes and it is a problem with the ignition lock (electric contact). The dealer's mechanic replaced the ignition lock 3 weeks ago under warranty. Since then the problem occured three times again, about once a week. Before the dealer replaced the lock, it happened about 3 times a week. Any ideas ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Peter

Audi A4 Avant 1.9 TDI (81 kW/110 hp)
Model 2000

[This message has been edited by Peter Hergesell (edited March 30, 2000).]

jmclain

Veteran Member
The dealer isn't looking hard enough. They obviously have not found the problem.

I think the key with stuff like this is to make yourself a royal pain in the neck. The fact is, they have to fix it. And you are not interested in their excuses, I am certain.

Many dealers are more interested in moving the cars in and out of the shop in an assembly line fashion. These cars are complex, and they take some thought to work on. Dealers that throw parts at cars and assume the fix are doing you a disservice. As a mainframe programmer, that kind of "let the customer test our fix" mentality really grinds my gears
!!

------------------
John - 00 Jetta GLS TDI
White, Gray leather

BHR

TDI
1999.5 Jetta GLS
Could it be a bad door, hood or trunk switch? Maybe it doesn't think everything is closed?

On a somewhat related note, how about wiring the alarm into the parking break switch as well, so the system wouldn't arm and beep unless the parking break were set. This would be a slick way of warning you that you forgot to set it.

Paul.

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg
That happened to me once and never again. I think the interior lights were on all night in the garage. I thought I was imagining things at the time. Please let us know what the final resolution is.

------------------
Yellow 2000 Beetle

John,
>>> Dealers that throw parts at cars and assume the fix are doing you a disservice. As a mainframe programmer, that kind of "let the customer test our fix" mentality really grinds my gears <<<
I know what you mean, I am working in the IT business too... As soon as it is time to mount the summer tyres I will give them a 2nd chance. One thing is for sure: They have to fix it !

Paul,
No, it is not a bad door, trunk or hood switch - I have tested this stuff before. I would suspect it is a problem related to the electronics which controls these functions.

I will keep you informed. Thx/Brgds Peter

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: "If the locking is working properly, the hazard flasher are blinking shortly."

Does the horn sound briefly? If not, you may be pressing the wrong button on your key?

Dali

My lights use to work funny too but now there ok, I guess...

On my Jetta, my interior lights now close only when I lock the doors with remote or by key... When the doors are unlocked they stay on until i put the key in the ignition...

The radio also shuts itself off only when I remove the key from the ignition...

------------------
Black '00 Jetta TDI

Okay guys,

Brought my car again to the dealer's place today: They told me that they had to replace the electrical part of the ignition lock too - last time they only replaced the mechanical part of it... !!

Oh man - what a joke, isn't it ?

Nevertheless I do hope they got it right this time, otherwise I will $!#@&% !!

Happy Dieseling to all,

Peter

Model 2000

A few days after the car was at the dealer's place for the 2nd time, the problem occured again...! Puuh, it drove me mad ! The very next day I went to the dealer. He told me that he would probably have to replace the ignition lock again, because the replaced one was bad too... Furthermore: The light will switch off anyway after about 20 minutes (e.g. as a security when you forget to switch off interior lights)

By chance I learnt from www.audiworld.com that other people noticed similar problems, especially with new ignition locks. The hint was quite simple: Just spray enough WD-40 into the lock and use the key a few times !!

I did that and - knock on wood - up to now, I didn't notice the problem again !

I will keep you informed.

Peter

Model 2000

[This message has been edited by Peter Hergesell (edited May 05, 2000).]

Durk11780

TDI
2005.5 VW Passat Wagon
Old post, but in case someone reads this, interior lights would stay on, only would go out when locking the door, problem was passenger vanity mirror wires were shorted out and kept the lights on.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Old post, but in case someone reads this, interior lights would stay on, only would go out when locking the door, problem was passenger vanity mirror wires were shorted out and kept the lights on.
REALLY old post! Yeah, that's a really tricky spot to find. I'd have been frustrated to the point of wanting to burn the car down for insurance money before i found that short.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Updates are always welcome, IMO. I wonder how the vanity mirror became shorted out. Gives me a new place to look.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Updates are always welcome, IMO. I wonder how the vanity mirror became shorted out. Gives me a new place to look.
The visor moves up and down, wires get twisted.
Wire insulation gets brittle & eventually two wires touch?

I still do not see the connection to the interior lighting.

tonio1083

TDI
2010 jetta
Yes currently having the same problem. interior lights are on. once i start the car back dome lights go out but overhead remains on.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
My first guess one of the micro switches stuck inside the door latch or shorted wires in the door jam boot.
No easy diagnosis for this.

Someone refresh my memory.
Is there a plug in the drivers kick panel where the wires come through from the door?
Might give a clue if it's in the latch or boot.