ID Parts Winter Grill Cover

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI S-Line, 2005.5 Jetta TDI (BRM) 6MT (02Q)
I just received an email about this product being available. This is something that I have thought about in the past as I see trucks with grill covers. I am curious to see what this community thinks about them. I assume with frost heaters they are not needed and/or could negatively affect cooling.

Perhaps we can start a discussion on this product now being made for ID Parts:

http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1121

http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1475

What does TDI Club think? Pros and Cons? I have not seen a thread like this in the search archives but a few from years ago. Discuss.

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
I just received an email about this product being available. This is something that I have thought about in the past as I see trucks with grill covers. I am curious to see what this community thinks about them. I assume with frost heaters they are not needed and/or could negatively affect cooling.

Perhaps we can start a discussion on this product now being made for ID Parts:

http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1121

http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1475

What does TDI Club think? Pros and Cons? I have not seen a thread like this in the search archives but a few from years ago. Discuss.
Is that not the point of them......?
You haven't seen a thread like this because VW discontinued them a few years back.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I just put one on my Chirstmas list. I don't have a frost heater and my car takes up to about 8 miles to full warm up once it starts to get really cold. I think these aren't just about start-up but for maintaining operating temperature while driving in regions of extreme cold.

"This cover reduces airflow to the radiator, helping the car warm up faster and stay warm."

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
Agreed, if you are in an extremely cold climate, I do not see how these can negatively affect the vehicle.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Yeah they definitely help maintain the engine temp. Even with a frost heater in cold climates the grill cover still serves a purpose. Just if it's too warm outside your car could run too warm. Where i am any sort of covering of the radiator makes a huge difference in any car.

I do the foam pipe insulation thing over the grill i saw on here, it helps. I may even look at throwing some cardboard on the rad too. Has anyone done both a grill cover and cardboard on there TDI??

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I have one of the OE VW ones they stopped selling several years ago. If the ID parts is designed exactly the same as the VW, it will make a noticeable but not dramatic change in warm up. I think the cover adds to the front of the car in terms of looks, so you can justify the price of the ID parts one that way, but cardboard or pipe foam will block more of the radiator for a fraction of the cost.

With the VW cover installed and ambient temps in the 20s, it takes my car about 5-6 miles of constant driving (not stop and go, rural 40 mph road) to show 190 on the dummy gauge with the inside temperature control set to COLD. I get the car up to temperature and enjoy hot air instead of delaying it by getting tepid air for a greater length of time.

Last edited:

Cfidave

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I received the email also. Looks like both upper and lower grill covers are included. The lower grill covers appear to be one piece, which may not be a good thing. I am not sure I want to block the intercooler grill opening, which I believe is the lower passenger side.

lekolite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL
On my wishlist. I've been doing the pipe insulation version for 5 years. Definitely helps warm up times.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I used my OEM ones for a winter, not sure how much it helped... then somehow I lost mine.

I may have to order these up.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I used my OEM ones for a winter, not sure how much it helped... then somehow I lost mine.

I may have to order these up.
I've had a set (and used them in cold weather) for years. Biggest thing they do is make it look like you're trying and they keep road salt/gravel from chipping up the grille. I don't notice any difference as far a temp of coolant warming up any sooner with just them on. Cover the entire radiator with black plastic corragated sign board. Works better (because it works) and you cann't see it. Save the money, unless you like the look and want to save some rock chips.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Save the money, unless you like the look and want to save some rock chips.
Yeah I think I only like the look because I have a black car. Looks more goofy with mismatched colors IMO.

The lower grill covers appear to be one piece, which may not be a good thing. I am not sure I want to block the intercooler grill opening, which I believe is the lower passenger side.
This covers the center lower grill, not the passenger side. No effect on intercooler airflow.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You won't find the OE cover anywhere, unless someone has some leftover inventory. We searched all over the US and Western Europe before deciding to make our own covers.

I was a late convert to these. Cevans used one for years, but it wasn't until I drove out to Detroit in January a few years ago that I noticed it would help. I had a scanguage in the car at the time and my coolant temp would get to 175 or so climbing hills but drop back to 160 on flat ground. This was running at 75 MPH, outside temp in the single digits. When I started using the cover the car would maintain high 170s all the time.

Of course if you drive with it in a snowstorm your car may look like this after a while.

This was during our trip to the Detroit Auto Show in January of this year.

squeegee_boy

Veteran Member
I've had one of these for a many years. It's fine for moderately cold weather, but it doesn't block as much air as I would like. The upside is that I will typically leave it on until the high temperatures get into the 60's without having the fan kick in.

On my car, it will maintain 190F (once it gets there) down to about -20F at 65mph cruising speed. Yesterday, my wife had to run to Fairbanks with the temperature fluctuating from -30F to -40F. No gauge movement in town, but managed to hit 190 on the hills heading out of town. Once the road leveled off, the temperature dropped to around 155 and pretty much stayed there, but temps were back down to -40 by that point.

Last edited:

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
I use a plastic cardboard "FOR SALE" sign bought at Dollarama for $1.25. It covers the radiator perfectly, and I don't even have to remove the bumper cover to install it. All I do is roll it up, remove the lower center plastic grill, and unroll it behind it.

I did the insulating pipe mod for one winter, but this is better in every single way.

Last edited:

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
You guys crack me up. You'll spend $50+ an OEM thermostat instead of a suitable aftermarket replacement but won't spend $50 on a specially made winter front; instead opting for the $1.25 for sale sign or piece of cardboard.
Classic.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
You guys crack me up. You'll spend $50+ an OEM thermostat instead of a suitable aftermarket replacement but won't spend $50 on a specially made winter front; instead opting for the $1.25 for sale sign or piece of cardboard.
Classic.
I would actually love to debate this with you, but re-reading the OP it's clear the thread is about a specific product sold by idparts, and not alternatives, so I guess it's not the place.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
I would actually love to debate this with you, but re-reading the OP it's clear the thread is about a specific product sold by idparts, and not alternatives, so I guess it's not the place.
Thank you I'd prefer to keep this on topic of the ID Parts or OEM grill cover... however links to other alternatives for plastic sign things are welcomed as well. If people have multiple choices, they should be educated on them, or at least hear peoples experiences.

T-Stat is for another thread. Thanks Snakeye.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
We've gotten a BUNCH of e-mails with some really far-out questions about the covers, some quick answers to commonly asked ones:

1) Does the cover need to be removed above a certain temperature?
No, the TDI does not generate a lot of heat, so overheating the engine is fairly difficult. We have run winter covers at up to 70F (during the freak-warm spells last winter) and coolant temps did not waver from 185-190 (as measured by scangauge)

2) Does the cover include just the top grill or covers for both top and bottom grills?
Both top and bottom. Using both really makes the difference, we find that just using one or the other doesn't result in an appreciable difference in heat-up time or warmth retention

3) Can this product be used with a Frostheater?
Absolutely! Actually, Frostheaters work better with a winter front installed as it limits the amount of cold-air that is blowing into the engine bay.

4) Will you have a winter front for XXXX model?
Yes, we currently have every model TDI in our plan, including Sportwagen, 2010+ Golf and NMS Passat.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Classic.
I've got and used both. At the same time. Have for years. Still do. The fabric covers are great cosmetic pieces, but if you want to use what works w/o being visable, go with the black plactic corragated sign board. Works much better than the covers.

2000BlueJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
We've gotten a BUNCH of e-mails with some really far-out questions about the covers, some quick answers to commonly asked ones:

1) Does the cover need to be removed above a certain temperature?
No, the TDI does not generate a lot of heat, so overheating the engine is fairly difficult. We have run winter covers at up to 70F (during the freak-warm spells last winter) and coolant temps did not waver from 185-190 (as measured by scangauge)

2) Does the cover include just the top grill or covers for both top and bottom grills?
Both top and bottom. Using both really makes the difference, we find that just using one or the other doesn't result in an appreciable difference in heat-up time or warmth retention

3) Can this product be used with a Frostheater?
Absolutely! Actually, Frostheaters work better with a winter front installed as it limits the amount of cold-air that is blowing into the engine bay.

4) Will you have a winter front for XXXX model?
Yes, we currently have every model TDI in our plan, including Sportwagen, 2010+ Golf and NMS Passat.

Will they be available year round or is it a seasonal thing?

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
I use a plastic cardboard "FOR SALE" sign bought at Dollarama for $1.25. It covers the radiator perfectly, and I don't even have to remove the bumper cover to install it. All I do is roll it up, remove the lower center plastic grill, and unroll it behind it.

I did the insulating pipe mod for one winter, but this is better in every single way.
Have you ever tried both the pipe insulation and the plastic sign at the same time??

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Covering the grill should improve winter FE, as the engine is more efficient if it's at full operating temperature.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Have you ever tried both the pipe insulation and the plastic sign at the same time??
No. The plastic sign that I bought is exactly the same size as the radiator grill. It covers it so well I don't see the point of adding anything else.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No. The plastic sign that I bought is exactly the same size as the radiator grill. It covers it so well I don't see the point of adding anything else.
yeah, mine covers the whole radiator and rught up tight to it. The pipe insulation would be pointless then. I still put the fabric grille covers on since I have them just to keep the rock chips to a minimum from all the salt/sand mix MNDOT loves to spread rather than do a decent plowing job.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
For about five years now I have the same type of winterfront pair that ID Parts is selling. I believe I bought it aftermarket somewhere (from tips on this list), so I think it may be the original one that VW sold, gotten from the same supplier as supplies VW, but it does not have a VW part number or logo on it. I may have purchased it from IDParts.com. I do buy from them (top-notch service and vendor, by the way).

Here is one of the original threads on the winterfront:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=126834

I really don't notice much difference in warm-up time with it on or off. It's LONG. Perhaps I never figured out how to install the lower half, because it only seems to cover one of the three openings in the center lower grill (the middle opening of the center grill).

I did discover that my original thermostat was limiting coolant temperature to 80 degrees C. and I replaced it last weekend and now get 89 degrees C, but warm up distance is still about 10 miles at 50 mph to get the idiot guage to "normal" with outside temperature at freezing.

I also use pipe insulation to fill in the lower-most opening to the radiator.

I also have the Frost Heater installed. With it, I get to full warm in about three or four miles.

--Nate

Last edited: