2001 TDI Beetle

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW New Beetle 2006.5 Jetta Edition
Bought the Bug in 2003 with 5,000 miles on her now she sports 123,000

The only performance mods are a 3' cat back exhaust system and a VanAaken SmartBox........well and 17" R8 Audi knock off wheels if that counts?

Interior mods are a body color dash & consol kit, carpet pad for dash, interior chrome door pulls, 6 disc cd changer.

Got a roof carriage for long trips too

I'll post some pic's when I figure out how to do it (theres not an attachment button?)

Last edited:

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok got it figured out, but how the heck do I make it bigger pix size made no difference?

Last edited:

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI

Here's an interior pic. Got more pictures up loaded yesterday in the New Beetle photo section.

She's going in this Tuesday for a new turbo......I'm sure my son will notice the additional power.

I'm getting the ich (BIG TIME) to find another 2001-03 TDI for me......tired and broke from using the F-150 for my daily driver (13 MPG):eek:

Last edited:

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd

Here's an interior pic. Got more pictures up loaded yesterday in the New Beetle photo section.

She's going in this Tuesday for a new turbo......I'm sure my son will notice the additional power.

I'm getting the ich (BIG TIME) to find another 2001-03 TDI for me......tired and broke from using the F-150 for my daily driver (13 MPG):eek:
I've got an F150, too. Haven't burned a full tank in the F150 in a yr!

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
I've got an F150, too. Haven't burned a full tank in the F150 in a yr!

I use to be that way (for 7 yrs) just use the F-150 when I needed to haul something. But since I've handed off the Bug to my son (last year) I now fill up the F-150 once a week @ $70 to $80.

The Bug was filled up roughly once every 2 wks @ $45

$320 vs $90 a month difference in fuel costs. Plus I'm just wearing out the truck.

Last edited:

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
One of the reasons I started driving a bug to CA instead of my duramax truck. Fuel cost with my truck was killing me.

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
One of the reasons I started driving a bug to CA instead of my duramax truck. Fuel cost with my truck was killing me.
Using my TDI over the F150 is a big savings on fuel for sure... and if I drive it enough miles it more then makes up for the additional costs of the insurance, tax, maintance and the monthly payment of owning it.

hip001

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL dsg
Using my TDI over the F150 is a big savings on fuel for sure... and if I drive it enough miles it more then makes up for the additional costs of the insurance, tax, maintance and the monthly payment of owning it.
F150 owner here also! Love my truck but it has been sidelined by my TDI's. Since neither of the TDI's have a hitch, the F150 still gets used once in a while for trailer duty. YES it's a HUGE savings over driving the truck! I've considered swapping a Cummins 4BT into the truck. Other sites are reporting 4BT swaps getting low 30's per gallon. In a full size, that is double the normal!

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
I've considered swapping a Cummins 4BT into the truck. Other sites are reporting 4BT swaps getting low 30's per gallon. In a full size, that is double the normal!
If mine wasn't rusting away I would consider that.

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
msirt:
Really like your NB. I'm in Nebraska too and have been looking for a 5-speed TDI for a long while. Where did you find it and any leads on others in the area?

Thanks
-Bob

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
msirt:
Really like your NB. I'm in Nebraska too and have been looking for a 5-speed TDI for a long while. Where did you find it and any leads on others in the area?

Thanks
-Bob
Thanks Bob, I found it on Stan Olsen's used car lot in the Spring of 2003. A 2001 TDI Bug with only 5,000 miles on it but cost me $15,000...I paid a premium.:eek:

The TDI Bugs are harder to find then TDI Jetta's. I heard that only 10% of the Bugs made were TDI's. I spent most of last Summer looking for a 2001 to 2003 for my daughter and ended up buying a 2006.5 Jetta TDI for myself.:D

There's Auto Works Inc. (402) 331-0671 on 8440 Q St) in Ralston NE they said they would do a search for me and did call me back with a 2006 TDI Bug they got in but I had just bought the Jetta. Orhan is a VW TDI nut and usually has one or two TDI's on his lot.

Last edited:

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
Thanks for the lead, Murray. I'm going to stop by Auto Works Inc this weekend. Gregg Young has an '06 TDI 5-speed that I test drove on Monday. It was in great condition for having 166k miles on it.
I prefer the pre-2006 body style though.
I haven't seen your bug around but when I do I'd like to take a look at it.

Thanks again

-Bob

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the lead, Murray. I'm going to stop by Auto Works Inc this weekend. Gregg Young has an '06 TDI 5-speed that I test drove on Monday. It was in great condition for having 166k miles on it.
I prefer the pre-2006 body style though.
I haven't seen your bug around but when I do I'd like to take a look at it.

Thanks again

-Bob
My son will be back from college in a month so the car will be parked at my house right now it's at his dorm. Would love to have you come over to look at it, we could go for a ride in it. Just give me a call @ 402-510-7022

I've been spending a lot of time with the Bug this month. It all started with a check engine light, the code was EGR related (excessive exhaust gas).

After checking the vacuum system I found a small leak so I replaced all the vacuum lines and put on a new N18 solenoid valve. During this I found the passenger side CV boot was torn so that was replaced while that was being done I got talked into a new RF wheel well plastic liner (you could see the intercooler thru the old one).

Then on the way back from the shop got a check engine light again...same code "exessive exhaust gas" so now I'm thinking it needs a new egr valve body.

Sometimes I wonder if would be cheaper to just run them in the ground and dump them then keep maintaining them. :D

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
Murray

Did your son get back from college yet? I'd like to come out, take a look and pick your brain a bit. I picked up an '05 NB TDI last week!

-Bob

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
Murray

Did your son get back from college yet? I'd like to come out, take a look and pick your brain a bit. I picked up an '05 NB TDI last week!

-Bob
Hi Bob...Great news on your new Beetle I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Yep the son is back, the best time to look at his bug is in the mornings but for some reason he didn't come home last night so who knows when it will be back today. Give me a call after lunch and we'll go from there.

SnyderD

TDI
none
My sister-in-law used to have the '01 Beetle. It was great vehicle, with good mileage. However, these engines can get hammered fast if being put through the paces by a difficult driver. Great cars, though.