2005 Passat TDi - Engine Lite On -"Emissions Workshop"

Pfreire727

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon and 2011 Jetta SportsWagen
I got the engine light this morning when i turne the car on. I was unable to drive any faster then 40mph.

I had the code read and it came back as "EGR".

Has anyone had this problem before?:confused:

Help.

Thank you

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Hopefully your egr valve is not bad. $$$
Have you ever cleaned it?
Is the connector on tight?

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Best suggestion is to find someone with a Vag-Com and have them pull the actual code.

Pfreire727

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon and 2011 Jetta SportsWagen
I did have power loss and it is not blowing smoke.
I have never cleaned it.
I will make sure the it is on tight.
I cleared the code and the car has been driving fine since.
I dodn't know where to go next. I would like to fix it so it doesn't happen again.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Clean it...it's probably clogged.
Or disconnect it, assuming it is closed, and live with the warning lights.

eyetdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI Sedan
You need to get the diagnostic code.

I just had the same issue.

Diagnostic code said it was the temperature sender. (Located on the back of the engine next to the firewall and not easy to get to.)

Mine was either open or closed which told the car it was -40 degrees outside, (when it was about +50 degrees,) which caused the car to miss once or twice and blow some white smoke.

Replacing the sender solved the problem. Shop charged 1 hour labor, plus diagnostic fee and $28 for the part and something, (I don't remember the amount,) for the anti freeze.
Total charge was around $275.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
the temp sender is a ntc(negative temperature coefficient device) , so an open circuit is infinite resistance, making the ecu think its -50

Parsimony23

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Pfreire727,
Did you find out what the problem was? I have the exact same symptoms on my 05.5. Going to try to get it scanned this week. Is the free checker at Auto Zone, same as the VAG COM everyone speaks of?

Parsimony23

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I got code P0299. Boost pressure regulation control range not reach.

I think it means that the actuator isn't moving freely. Might need a turbo cleaning or reman turbo.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I got code P0299. Boost pressure regulation control range not reach.
I think it means that the actuator isn't moving freely. Might need a turbo cleaning or reman turbo.
...or not. A replacement turbo, and replacement EGR valve, and replacement MAF, did nothing for what was about to become mine. The dealer sold it, and I agreed to buy it, with this occasional fault cause still unidentified. I never did find the cause, but I did discover prevention methods that I passed on to the new purchaser when I sold.

Parsimony23

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
interesting. i've lived with it for months now. going to do the "easy off" turbo chemical clean this website speaks of.

(sorry to get back 4 months later... I don't get notified when someone replies to my posting... need to work on that too.)

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
If you're talking about this thread:http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=367384, do it . It should be a maintenance requirement on these cars and it's so simple to do on an inline engine platform as the turbo sticks out invitingly for you to clean,etc. Mine is still running as new after this simple procedure. Sometimes we have to fish for what the limp modes and CELs are really pointing to and IMHO, a clean turbo will prevent a bunch of them.
interesting. i've lived with it for months now. going to do the "easy off" turbo chemical clean this website speaks of.

(sorry to get back 4 months later... I don't get notified when someone replies to my posting... need to work on that too.)

Last edited: