Bubble gum and bailing wire fix.........

deltatech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Ok today I found that the mount for my turbo charger servo is corroded and broken at 135k miles. It seams that the vains are moving freely. I can move the servo connecting rod and vains about 5/16". It looks like the turbo and servo are an integral unit and can't be replaced separately so how about a Mcgiver fix? The mount is broken so why couldn't I use some stainless steel safety wire and secure the servo without spending the money on a rebuild turbo???

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
You are correct to a point about one unit. You can't purchase them seperatly. Best bet is to find a used actuator here and then make sure you run a belly pan to keep the crap out.

Good luck with the search.

deltatech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
My safety wire idea didn't work. I secured the servo with wire so that it barely moves. Nothing touching the control rod. My car still goes into limp mode. Oh well.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Bubble gum and bailing wire?

I would think a cross between Rube Goldberg and MacGyver may hold some promise... for instance... a set of pulleys running from the accelerator pedal designed to provide a small time delay between a request for power and the opening of the turbo vane mechanism... of course, that delay should be eliminated for any negative (deceleration) request...

(I need more sleep...)

Yuri

deltatech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
ymz---pretty good thanks.
turbocharged798---someone else suggested the Garret actuator from boraautoparts.com-looks like I will have to improvise the mount and connector rod, is that all there is to it?

Last edited: