Adjusting Headlights

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
Anyone know how to adjust the aftermarket headlights from Ed? Also, what height are they supposed to be adjusted at? Thanks in advance!

These are the headlights I need to adjust:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Adjust them so that you can see an acceptable distance in front of you while traveling at highway speeds. Be cognizant of oncoming traffic - make sure your lights aren't adjusted so far out that you're blinding them.

Some people adjust headlights by making tape marks on a garage door or the wall of a building. I prefer to go for a drive, stopping periodically to make adjustments until I'm satisfied with the light output.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
Adjust them so that you can see an acceptable distance in front of you while traveling at highway speeds. Be cognizant of oncoming traffic - make sure your lights aren't adjusted so far out that you're blinding them.

Some people adjust headlights by making tape marks on a garage door or the wall of a building. I prefer to go for a drive, stopping periodically to make adjustments until I'm satisfied with the light output.

Cool, thanks! I've been doing both over the years. Adjust against a wall and take it for a drive as well just to make sure and make adjustments that way over the course of a few nights.

Do you know how to actually adjust the housings? Are there adjustment screws somewhere. I don't want to start turning random screws I find on the housing.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I have no idea how to actually adjust the lights on your car -- never messed with one.

One pro tip I have is to adjust the passenger's light slightly higher than the driver's light. You'll be able to see the shoulder a little bit better that way without affecting oncoming traffic.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the tip VeeDub

After some more searching I happened to find a thread about it on vortex. Their search sucks, you're better off using google to search vortex threads.

Anyway, it's the white allen key screws just inside the low beam rubber cap.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Searching on most forums is generally terrible. Best bet is to use google and "site:forumname.com" for searching.

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
With those lights (HID's) you should be able to adjust using VAGcom. I remember seeing a module for that in the list.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
There may be an adjuster on the housing. Look for phillips head, torx, or allen head screws. On the OEM housings they're usually a different color than all the others in the area.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
With those lights (HID's) you should be able to adjust using VAGcom. I remember seeing a module for that in the list.

With factory HIDs I think you're right. These are the aftermarket ones though. No auto leveling feature on these

elro

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GSW TDI Highline Candy White DSG RNS315 Tint 18" Interlagos
Last edited: