Correct Actuator Adjustment settings

roosie

TDI
Seat Ibiza 1.6tdi
Hi Guys hope you can help.

My 1.6 tdi 105bhp engine after 6 years of ownership decided to lose turbo pressure and go into limp mode.

i done a vacuum check to find out it was the actuator was not holding any pressure so ordered a new actuator off ebay (VNT Turbo type). and fitted it yesterday.

the actuator is the type with 2 nuts that go on top and underneath the vnt arm. i measured where to old upper nut was and put it in the same spot on new actuator.

After fitting i have took it for a test drive, car seem a bit delayed in coming on boost now but apparently it needs to learn again as its been driven around on 0psi for about 50miles.

I am hitting about 22psi on peak. its seems ok but when i come to idle at a junctions or on heavy deceleration it goes into limp mode and flags the boost fault.

I predict the actuator arm might be a bit out as its a different make actuator so could have slightly different pressures, is there anywhere which will show me the correct settings to have my actuator , i have a hand vacuum pump so can see what its pressure/vacuum is at when at vnt stop. i just don't know where to find this info? any suggestions?

thanks in advanced

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Arm should start to move at 3 and extend fully at 18. I don't know if this applies to your particular set-up, but these are the numbers I have seen posted on this site.

roosie

TDI
Seat Ibiza 1.6tdi
ok could really do with it being confirmed, i wonder if a remap could change the parameters to be not so specific?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
You'll want to find out the actual value for your particular engine. Just begins to move at 3.5 to 5.0 is what ours (North America, ALH) are. Pretty sure there is no remap for this.

roosie

TDI
Seat Ibiza 1.6tdi
UPDATE:
So at the moment with the new actuator its running and no Management lights are coming up at all. but i know it still needs a tweak as its a bit laggy than normal but it gets to boost in the end (22.4psi) no someone has said it just a case of a few turns of actuator make it better response. do move the nut down towards end of shaft or more towards the actuator.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
The way we set the actuator is by running a vacuum line to the actuator and watching it move. The arm should begin to move at 4-5 inches and hit the stop screw at 18 inches.

It is more important for the actuator to make the screw hit that stop than what exact vacuum causes the actuator to move.

Also, make sure you have over 25 in at the pump and 18 in at the line going to the actuator from the N75 vacuum modulator valve. You should have those values at engine idle speed.