How to remove light switch in the B4s by Rammstein

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
Ok, so it seems that there's a lot of questions now on how to remove the light switch and so on.

The "How to" for the DRL will follow after I typed this one out. /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

First, you got a B4 interior.

Second you have the HVAC vents.

Press the center vent down.

Then, more down (always be gentle, but here you may have to force it down until it unclips)!!!

Play with it, it should come out easily.

There should be a screw there, abscent on this pic, don't know where it is. Well, there should be a screw there anyway, so unscrew it (philips head).

Same thing for the vent on top of the light switch (look at my beautiful Euroswitch! /images/graemlins/cool.gif). Push...

Push more until it's horizontal.

Remove it and remove the screw that I'm pointing with my screwdriver.

With a small flat tip screwdriver, bring the plastic trim that surrounds the cluster out a little bit (as far as it goes). Carefull: this piece is very fragile! /images/graemlins/eek.gif

Take only the part of the light switch that you can really pull on it without fear of breaking it.

With the little screwdriver take the lightswitch out gently.

Do everything in the reverse order to put the switch back in place.

Done! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

As some of you will see, I have not removed the last screw.

The switch came right out with little problem.

I'm missing quite a few screws holding the plastic trim around the cluster, so the switch comes off quite easily.

If you have all the bolts...remove them first or brake everything.

Also, I removed the vents so I have more room to take the pictures.

You can just rotate the vents, remove the screws and the switch.

How to disable DRL's coming next, stay tuned! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

OilBurnerDE

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat T-Red
Nice pics, but that is the long way to be sure.

I use a small flat jeweler's screw driver. And just slide one of the two pins and viola she is out.

As someone else mentioned you can use a Credit card or something similar.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
My goal in writing this was not get flamed if somebody brakes something. That's all.

Members get the idea of how to do it, which is the purpose of it all. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ColoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Blue Passat Sedan
I second the great couple of posts. Now when new people ask about the DRL or taking out the switch, theres something they can search for, espically with your name in the heading!

abideworldwide

Veteran Member
TDI
B4v - SOLD
An emphatic thank you Rammstein!!! This is just what I was hoping for when going to the tdiclub.com forum for help. Thanks again!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Nice pics, but that is the long way to be sure.
Rammy, he's correct. You don't need to go thru any of those steps to remove the headlight switch. You just need a feeler gage* and the switch comes right out - - it's part of the design.

OTOH, thanks for showing how to remove those dusty vents for detailing! ...never could figure it out.

*feeler gage = an odd tool, similar to a shim, used to set the gap on a spark plug*

*spark plug:

1. The spark plug must have an insulated passageway for this high voltage to travel down to the electrode, where it can jump the gap and, from there, be conducted into the engine block and grounded. The plug also has to withstand the extreme heat and pressure inside the cylinder, and must be designed so that deposits from fuel additives do not build up on the plug.

2. A throwback to a pre-historic era.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
I had no clue the switch was suppose to come out with feeler gauges though...wow a revelation!

Great, so anyway, if anybody wants to remove their switch, feeler gauges are the way to go!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Rammy, glad we could help out. After all, isn't this forum about one brotha helping another !

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
*feeler gage = an odd tool, similar to a shim, used to set the gap on a spark plug*
Actually, the flat feeler gauges (the kind you're using - great for lining up trim punches with their respective dies) are not suitable for checking spark plug gaps. For spark plugs, you need a wire-type feeler gauge (set of measuring wires). Just a piece of useless (to anyone with a decent engine) trivia.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
Tribalminds, you might be interested going into the sticky in the 101 forum called "How to".

A couple of my how to's and a lot of others are presented there.

Very informative and made by people on Fred's.

TribalMinds

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, White
Thank You Rammstein, I'll check it out. Does it tell how to fix the e-brake and open the back door? JK, I'll have a look. I'm just glad these little engines go and go! I don't have the radio code, so if I pull the power, it's back to the dealer for a code and or to crutchfield.com for a new head unit. Then I really need to open the back door to upgrade the speaker. . . lol. . . .

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Re: How to remove light switch in the B4s by Ramms

Get some battery holders at your local electronics store, enough for 8 aa or d cells. Connect them to your battery cables with wires long enough so they won't get in the way, and you should have close enough to 12 volts to keep all happy with the electronics. I've seen pics of a 9v battery connected through the cig lighter which also seems to work. I believe it'd be worth a few $ to keep your car away from the dealer.