Smoke problems

Skydigger

I recently had to replace my MAF. Since I'm not a millionaire, I went with the 2.0 MAF. I have an Upsolute chip and with the previous MAF I had NO smoke. With the 2.0 MAF in my car I think I have killed 3 people due to asphixia (sp?).

I'm looking for any suggestions on how to reduce the smoke. I've heard of upping that value (lowering the quantity of fuel (IQ adjustment via VAG-COM) and heard of but never found any write-ups/how-to's on the hammer mod.

If anyone can provide me any information (preferrably with how-to's) I'd be greatly appreciative.

Happy driving.

TurbineTech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Suggestios? OK...get rid of the 2-slow MAF (it's known to cause smoke) and keep it in your trunk for backup. Personally, I would not want to try to make a bunch of adjustments to compensate for an incorrect part, especially with a chip which compounds the smoke. But yeah, higher IQ might help. I think the "hammer mod" allows reaching a higher IQ number-but I have not really looked into it that much. I've heard of the 2.0 MAF thowing CEL's as well

Skydigger

Thanks for the info. I'm not going to go out and purchase a part for $500+ when I can get something almost the same for $100-. I'll see if I can tweak it a little and save $400.

I think you may have me confused with someone else. I've never done a TB change and personally the thought scares me. I also haven't made any posts (unles I did something I'm unaware of) in any FAQ section.

Any other ideas and comments are welcome.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
You may want to check out THIS thread... You may also want to consider a Pierburg MAF like so many others have. I have a 2.0 and it's relegated to the trunk as a backup. Same probs... Too much smoke and poor mileage...

TurbineTech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Yup, I must have had a brain fart there....I had two posts in mind when I responded, and have edited my earlier response.

Good luck

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Nope... I run a Pierburg and love it. Just a steer to an inexpensive solution if you are going to continue using the 2.0. Curiously, some report no problems while others do. Your symptoms are classic for those who do.

Edited to clarify: 'Nope, I haven't tried it...' <font color="red"> NOT </font> , 'Nope, it doesn't work as well...'