.205s in the A4

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
For those that have the .205s as their only mod.

How is the smoke? and power?

Is the something the dealer can detect when dealing with warranty issues?

Thanks

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk
PP520s and stock chip:

Power is good, check out the plot. Definitely noticeable.

There is some smoke at WOT. Not too noticeable during the daytime, but definitely a haze at night with headlights behind. YMMV depending on the tune of your car and fuel quality. I also find that if I drive with little throttle (puttering around town or long periods of highway cruising) soot gradually builds in the exhaust... the first time I floor it from a stoplight the exhaust belches out a large cloud.

So... a little more boost would be good. Do a electronic boost bleed (cheep) or get a rocketchip ($$$) to deal with that if the soot concerns you.

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
[ QUOTE ]
Davin said:
Power is good, check out the plot. Definitely noticeable.

There is some smoke at WOT. Not too noticeable during the daytime, but definitely a haze at night with headlights behind. YMMV depending on the tune of your car and fuel quality. I also find that if I drive with little throttle (puttering around town or long periods of highway cruising) soot gradually builds in the exhaust... the first time I floor it from a stoplight the exhaust belches out a large cloud.

So... a little more boost would be good. Do a electronic boost bleed (cheep) or get a rocketchip ($$$) to deal with that if the soot concerns you.

[/ QUOTE ]Davin, is that plot for a stock motor with just the .205 nozzles, no other tweaks to the computer? Injection quantities, are still at stock? I just put on Bosch .205 injectors (from the RedRotors buy) but have done nothing else to the car. No smoke that I can detect, car drives fine... do I need to go in with Vag-COM and tweak injection quatities?

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, stock motor, .205 nozzles, stock chip.

If your car runs fine and you have no smoke problems, then IQ adjustment isn't necessary. IIRC mine was in the 3s after the install.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Be advised that the PP520's and the RedRotors .205's are not exactly the same thing by any means. The Bosio nozzles are .215 mm and the Bosch more like .194 mm (IIRC). A significant difference in ID and amount of fueling no doubt. As for the Bosch .205's, w/stock ECU, you will smoke a bit under WOT but 95% of your driving will be smoke free. As for added power, from looking at Davin's dyno, I'd have to say the PP520's do better than the .205's. I would imagine they smoke too under a heavy foot. No large adjustments of IQ are necessary w/.205's. A reduction from 32768 to 32740-something is more than enough to take the haze off of most situations ... At 100% load, expect to see some haze regardless... Not trying to cross Davin in any way. This has just been my experience.

As for the dealer spotting them. You will notice a small dot of paint on both your old and new injectors. On .184's the dot should be yellow. On the .205's, it will be blue. I'm sure that is for quick identification of the injectors without having to look up the number when handling them. Based on that, it's pretty easy to spot who's who under the hood. On the other hand, it would seem grossly apparent that most VW techs don't have much, if any, knowledge about TDI's so I wouldn't worry too much about it...

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
[ QUOTE ]
FlyTDI Guy said:
On the other hand, it would seem grossly apparent that most VW techs don't have much, if any, knowledge about TDI's so I wouldn't worry too much about it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
FlyTDI Guy said:
As for the dealer spotting them. You will notice a small dot of paint on both your old and new injectors. On .184's the dot should be yellow. On the .205's, it will be blue. I'm sure that is for quick identification of the injectors without having to look up the number when handling them. Based on that, it's pretty easy to spot who's who under the hood.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course, if you install new nozzles on your old injector bodies nobody will be able to tell without pulling the injectors and looking at the nozzle part numbers! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I don't remember seeing any colored dots on my OEM injectors, tho... coudl just be old age getting to me.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Thanks for the replies.

The wife's mew Golf is about to get it's third mod.

I might even tell her about it! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif