Automatic Transmission Fluid Change procedure

TGOLF

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW Black/Cream, 2000 Golf silver/black
I am getting ready to change ATF in my 1999.5 Golf and couldn't help but find this old thread.

Anyone out there thats needs a 'How to' this it.

I wish Drivibiwire was still around. He changed my second timing belt AND ATF. Drove all the way to Northeastern Oregon from Tacoma to have done right...

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
I am pretty sure DBW is still around, as I just had my injector cleaned and calibrated now to long ago. Maybe you mean he's not into the service side of TDI's anymore?

TGOLF

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW Black/Cream, 2000 Golf silver/black
Last known sighting I know of was Idaho... I think you're right may be vendor now with doing injectors....but haven't seen any posting since 2007....

Diesel pwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta 2006 jetta 2004 dodge 2006 duramax
Last known sighting I know of was Idaho... I think you're right may be vendor now with doing injectors....but haven't seen any posting since 2007....
he posted yesterday on a coolant thread;)

Brand

TDI
2001 TDI Auto 212K
My transmission feels like it has finally blown up after 40K of hard shifting. Should I try changing the oil or am I too far gone?

notonline

TDI
2000 VW Jetta
wow thats not cheap

has anyone found a good price on transmission fluid (G 052 162 A2)? everywhere i look it's between 15-25 dollars a liter. is there any other brand (at a lower price) that well work?

AlanTDI

Veteran Member
Long Island NY, relocating to Louisiana next week
TDI
1996 Passat wagonTDI, 02 jetta sedan, on the dark side 2017 Rav4
atf

Hi:
I just brought some Maxxus ATF for $9.95 from germanautoparts dot com (Im not affiliated with them).
I am running it in my OEM rebuild tranny; stealer installed 2 years ago and about 80K miles on it now($5200:eek:).
Seems ok.

I had a problem with it not shifting out of 4th, the RPM's at 60+mph was about 3700~ (should be about maybe 2300~correct me if im wrong). I thought oh no, this is very bad. Changed fluid and filter.

Babied it for about a week, then I said screw it and really hit it hard at 60+ for aboout 7 miles on the Wantagh parkway, then......miracle upon miracle.......it just shifted smoothly into fouth....

its been good since then.... about few weeks, so maybe im thinking one of the selonoids in the valve body was stuck, then got unstuck.:)lucky

Last edited:

CLUTCHNSHIFT

TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI / 6-Speed Automatic DSG w/Tiptronic® / Deep Black / VIN: 3VWRL71K89Mxxxxxx
Drivbiwire, a belated thank you.

The post is dead, long live the post!

I read your many years old post on the ATF change procedure and found that it helped paint a better picture for me.

I have a 2009 VW Jetta TDI w/DSG and I am going to be servicing the DSG soon enough. Though the transmissions are different the procedure is similar enough to help me with mine. I appreciate the detail.

Are you still flying these days?

Regards,
Peter

simbolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Just did mine today, went smooth mostly.

I was at 90K Miles on the old fluid and had some extra laying around so I decided to put in 4liters, drain it to proper level, let it cool a bit, add another liter and drain it to proper level again. Hopefully this had the effect of getting more old fluid out? Anyone know if that is so?

Also I could not figure out where to use the sealing washer as my plug already had a washer on it that I could not remove... am I missing something? should I expect leaks?

thanks...

CLUTCHNSHIFT

TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI / 6-Speed Automatic DSG w/Tiptronic® / Deep Black / VIN: 3VWRL71K89Mxxxxxx
02E DSG Service

Servicing the 2009 VW Jetta TDI 6-Speed DSG Transmission.
It's not an A4, but it can serve as a reference...

2009 VW Jetta TDI - DSG Service - Part I: The Filter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iFLxpVYE2I

2009 VW Jetta TDI - DSG Service - Part II: The Oil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlDJysb-S50

Reference from above videos:

Changing the Oil is easier than it looks, you just need to have the means to add the oil (VAS 6262/6262A or equivalent) AND you need to have a way to read DSG Oil temperature from G509 in order to finalize the correct oil level.

=== A Homemade VAS 6262-type equivalent ===

The DSG Servicing Schematic I included in the video labels the adapter dimensions as 24Mx1.5mm, it's actually M24x1.5mm. If you make your own or obtain a suitable equivalent Filling Adapter, know that the plug depth is 1/2"...just look at the Drain Plug itself.

For a ready-to-go Filling Adapter, look for P/N ATF16DSG.
Visit http://www.toolsource.com/vwaudi-drive-line-filler-adapter-p-105577.html here at $34 US.

Then, all you need is about $2-worth clear tubing found at any hardware store and a $5 open-close valve also found at most hardware stores.

Attach the valve to a DSG Oil bottle cap, then secure one end of the clear tubing to the other end of the valve...you are now ready to service your DSG.
----------

Visit the following pages for additional information:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DSG-faq-VW-Audi.htm

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=169356

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com

http://www.idparts.com

diesel_farmer

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
Should I change the tranny fluid or not?

Recently acquired an 02 jetta tdi with 174,000 miles with the original automatic transmission fluid that was never changed. Prior owner advised me that he was advised not to change it and never did. No trouble so far and the transmission is original and never serviced. After reading this thread it looks like I should get the fluid changed, or should I just let it be? Thanks for thoughts.

CLUTCHNSHIFT

TDI
Oil Changes...

Recently acquired an 02 jetta tdi with 174,000 miles with the original automatic transmission fluid that was never changed. Prior owner advised me that he was advised not to change it and never did. No trouble so far and the transmission is original and never serviced. After reading this thread it looks like I should get the fluid changed, or should I just let it be? Thanks for thoughts.
I've heard that some transmissions can go the distance without servicing. If I had purchased a car such as yours and the previous owner was that honest about it's history, I would be fine with it...but I would still like to see the condition of the transmission via the condition of the oil/filter. Piece of mind, you know. Fresh oil shouldn't harm it, though improper service will. Get the opinion of another same-model owner, diesel_farmer...luck to you!
P.S. Remember that all machines breakdown and all filters get clogged/overwhelmed at one point or another. The oil lubricates, cools, and cleans.

Last edited:

gstspeedster

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon(Bora Variant)
I've talked to a few people that started having problems after the fluid change. I've been told that since the fluid had been in there for so long that the "gunk" and what not help with the friction on the plates and when new slick fluid is put in it will start to slip. This is just what I've been told and I don't have any other info than that. Just thought I'd let you know

redcorradoguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI, '78 Bus with '98 AHU
I'm having a bit of an odd situation I think.

I drained the transmission, changed the filter and cleaned up the pan.

I put things back together and set about checking the level just now. I had put 4 liters in, so I fully expected that almost no fluid would come out of the check-hole and I would have to put in about a half a liter.

When I removed the plug, a pretty good amount of fluid came out! And kept coming out. So I put the plug back in and shut the car down.

The little tube is in there in the pan but I think something may be wrong (though I couldn't see anything when the pan was off yesterday). When I pulled the plug yesterday, it seemed like quite a lot of fluid came out-I was surprised. But then decided that it could have just been that the engine wasn't running so no fluid was being pumped up inside.

But the amount of fluid coming out now is disconcerting given that I've only put 4 liters in so far.

Thoughs?

simbolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
I'm having a bit of an odd situation I think.

I drained the transmission, changed the filter and cleaned up the pan.

I put things back together and set about checking the level just now. I had put 4 liters in, so I fully expected that almost no fluid would come out of the check-hole and I would have to put in about a half a liter.

When I removed the plug, a pretty good amount of fluid came out! And kept coming out. So I put the plug back in and shut the car down.

The little tube is in there in the pan but I think something may be wrong (though I couldn't see anything when the pan was off yesterday). When I pulled the plug yesterday, it seemed like quite a lot of fluid came out-I was surprised. But then decided that it could have just been that the engine wasn't running so no fluid was being pumped up inside.

But the amount of fluid coming out now is disconcerting given that I've only put 4 liters in so far.

Thoughs?
when you put 4 liters in (which is correct) you should get about 1/3 liter or a little less or a little more to flow back out. Let it flow until it becomes a drip then close it up right away. All this should be done at proper temp of course. I too was surprised at the amount that flowed out, better 1/2 liter too much and let it drain than 1/5 liter too little.

Last edited:

redcorradoguy

Veteran Member
TDI
when you put 4 liters in (which is correct) you should get about 1/3 liter or a little less or a little more to flow back out. Let it flow until it becomes a drip then close it up right away. All this should be done at proper temp of course. I too was surprised at the amount that flowed out, better 1/2 liter too much and let it drain than 1/5 liter too little.
Ok...

I was just getting nervous that I would end up draining the thing while the engine was running! I'll go out once it cools off (the outdoor ambient temp is in the check range! While the engine was running, it heated up to beyond check temp) and check again.

Also the author of the article mentioned using 4.5 liters so I was expecting nothing to drip out.

redcorradoguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I got it. My main problem is I could have sworn that the how-to I said he needed about 4.5 total.

Drained it a bit more and then the flow stopped. After a test drive, all seems well.

Thanks,

simbolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Note: I found that 4 liters were needed when replacing the filter as outlined in the following procedure.
Currently it says the above, but maybe it was edited... 1st time I did mine it was at 90k miles (on the current 01M unit) so I put 4 liters in let it drain, close it, let it cool add 1 more liter and let it drain again. In an attempt to get more old fluid out. I will do another change at 10K then at 30K intervals as suggested by members on this forum who have had the fluid tested regularly.

Last edited:

ScorpionBoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I just did mine at 100k. I had the gelatinous stuff on the magnet, fairly thick. the juice was coffee colored but not very smelly. I had about 2.6L drain out. I put in 4 and drained out about 1.3L to get it level again. Car is driving the same as before, a little flaring now and then, seeks gears when it is cold. Probably too late for this transmission.

simbolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Car is driving the same as before, a little flaring now and then, seeks gears when it is cold. Probably too late for this transmission.
Did you try resetting the adaptive shifting program and or disabling it?

sprintersteve

TDI
jetta 2001
Do you know which scan tools check the transmission fluid temp? I know the vag-com does, but i was leaning toward the scangaugeII to save $ and i know someone with the vag-com if needed.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
If you do get a scan gauge you will have to add an x-gauge to monitor the transmission oil temperature(TFT). The procedure is on their web site.