Starting a 2013 Passat SEL

ShickShackFarms

TDI
2013 Passat
Great sight, it helped decide on what car to buy.
Just bought a 2013 Passat SEL. Tried to search for this but could not find anything.
How do you activate the glow plugs with a keyless start?
I have not found anything in the owners manual that tells me how to wait on/activate glow plugs.
Does it just activate them automatically?
Thanks
Jeff

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Yep, sometimes you'll notice that there's a delay between pressing the button and the engine starting, especially if it's cold.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...but do keep your foot lightly pressing on the brake pedal. No need to HOLD the start button, press/release, the car will start when it's ready.
Welcome to the club. Lots of great info here, but do take the time to explore/search. Yes, it's tedious, but better for your understanding...plus you won't have to bear the onslaught of complaints (from grumpy people like me!) when you ask a question that has been answered many times before!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Unlike older diesels, you'll notice that the glow plugs on the Passat are very fast. Even at subzero temps, I don't think I've ever had it glow for more than 3 to 5 seconds.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Yes, I was shocked at how quickly the GP light went off this past winter. (And I've already basically forgotten about the cold start pull handle since my B4 didn't have one...)

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Unlike older diesels, you'll notice that the glow plugs on the Passat are very fast. Even at subzero temps, I don't think I've ever had it glow for more than 3 to 5 seconds.
Yes, I was shocked at how quickly the GP light went off this past winter. (And I've already basically forgotten about the cold start pull handle since my B4 didn't have one...)
Same here, this is my first diesel and surprised even on single digit days, it fires up pretty darn quick.

ShickShackFarms

TDI
2013 Passat
I thought they started pretty well when cold. When were in Germany for Christmas in 2010, we stayed with a family that a couple VW TDI's and they never even waited on the glow plugs and those darn little things started right up at 0 F. I know Duramax won't do that when that cold.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I know they're standard in Canada, and NOT here in the U.S., but is the engine heater a dealer-installed option? That makes for a no-worries situation when cold starting.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Coolant heater is dealer installed option...very pricey...$450+
Frostheater is twice the wattage, still around $140, the last time I checked.
The CKRA engine (2012>>>Passat TDI) warms so quickly, the heater isn't as necessary as previous gen TDIs. I've still got mine, with the necessary lower grill, sitting in a box in my garage.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Guess I'll go with your experience- get the car, then decide after a Winter about the heater....