NYC/New Jersey TDI

Borgia

TDI
unknown7457
pashman-
Where in NJ are you from? The closest upsolute GTG so far is in Williamsburg, VA. I am thinking about going, but not completely positive.
I'll try and keep you updated!
-Borgia

matiii1

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Black
I am also from NJ,Lawrenceville to be specific.I was thinking of going to the Williamsburg GTG but was thinking of waiting for a closer one.See ya.....

pashman

TDI
2016 Audi A7 TDI Prestige Havanna Black
I'm up in Ridgefield Park (where 80 and NJ Turnpike meet) and looking to do the Upsolute thang I guess. I'll be on the lookout.

matiii1

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Black
If you mean the prep school,no I did not,went to public school.Have lived here all my life.Don"t see any TDI's here at all...

CrazyGreekVW

I am new to the club and new to the TDI world. I live North of Philadelphia. I just missed the last Upsolute g2g in Jersey, and I don't have the time to go to VA. Any chance that we can gtg closer to Philly/Jersey/NYC???

mglalo

TDI
96 Passat
Hi Guys!

I will be there as well wearing a white "Drivers Wanted" shirt. I'm from Mount Arlington (Lake Hopatcong).

I hope to meet a lot of TDI'er there like the last few WaterFests.

I remember meeting John Bartlett and his Red B4 TDI.

See you Sunday.

Mike

pashman

TDI
2016 Audi A7 TDI Prestige Havanna Black
It only takes 10 of us to do a GTG in NJ according to Valois. I'll keep an eye out.

John Achille

Veteran Member
I am looking into having another GTG at my house in late August or early September before TDI Fest 2001, I will need at least 15 cars that want to be chipped and as always, everyone is welcome...I think it is going to take a little time to get to the 15 number, but you can email me and I will start logging people and keeping everyone informed. Suggest some dates and I will see how they fit with everyone else...Use this post only to keep it clean...

John

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
I'm relocating with my family from Vermont to southern New Jersey in a month or so. (God help me.)

I'm already chipped, but I love meeting fellow TDIers.

AndiS

Veteran Member
Wow, it looks like we're starting to get a few folks from the neighborhood. I live right by Forrestal Village.

If the locals want to do a GTG, I'm happy to be there. You'll usually spot "Clarissa" in the neighborhood, she's got a TDi badge & 20% metallic tint on the windows.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
It's true, it's true!

Exit 4.

Lisa and I are tired of all this beauty and small-town friendliness up here in Vermont. Plus, I don't like how fast people drive on I-89.

So far, the cruelest comment I've received from a friend up here is that once I've lived in New Jersey for a while, I should feel right at home skiing at Killington. Ow! That hurt!

Seriously, I have a hot job offer with an expanding telecommunications company just outside of Cherry Hill, N.J. My wife's family lives in Philly, and we don't have any family up here in Vermont (I'm originally from White Plains, but both my parents have passed away, and my sister lives in Ohio). I've been in Vermont for 10 years--I've loved it, but I don't love the depressed salaries up here, and I'm ready to move on for the next adventure.

AndiS

Veteran Member
Rob,

Welcome to NJ! It's not so bad living here, you might actually end up liking the place

It looks like we've got 4 people in the area of Trenton/Lawrenceville/Princeton.

As for fuel prices, I don't know how our diesel prices stack up vs other areas, but I know that our gasoline prices are no longer among the lowest in the country.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Thanks, guys. You have to understand, New Jersey has a terrible reputation in Vermont--it's the state Vermonters love to make fun of.

I am looking forward to hanging out with you mid-Atlantic guys (not to mention visiting Turbo Steve!).

One serious question--is it true that it is illegal to pump your own fuel in New Jersey? Does that apply to diesel pumps? If true, will the attendant have a fit if I put in my fuel additives before the attendant pumps? What about doing Mickey's vent trick? Or will I have to drive to Philly to fill up?!

AndiS

Veteran Member
Rob,

Yes, NJ & Oregon do NOT allow you to pump your own fuel. However, I've found that once the local pump jockeys knew me, they pretty much let me pump if I want to. This was also true of the attendants in Portland, OR (I spent over 6 mos doing the bi-coastal commute while doing some test marketing). So while on paper they won't, in reality it's negotiable. I usually add the additives before going to the pump since it's only 2 miles from home.

I love watching the other drivers pull up to the pump & then having to find another pump when they realize they pulled up to a diesel pump. Also nice to see the big rig drivers come over & say "Wow, I didn't know these came in diesel."

jpltdi

Veteran Member
It's awfully nice not to have to deal with the fuel pumping in NJ. However, I think trucks may be allowed to self-serve. When I filled up at Flying J in Carney's Point I went to the truck pumps (tour bus blocking the RV area
) and there was no attendant to be found, so I filled up myself. Then again, I recall filling the gas car myself once there because there was no attendant.

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: jpltdi ]

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
This may sound corny, but knowing there are fellow TDIers to meet (both new & old) makes moving easier.

Lotfw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1995.5 Canyon red
rgoetz

Yep it is "illegal" . Enforcement isnt an issue, most attendants wouldnt care either way. Long as you dont look like you are trying to make off with a tank full of diesel.

Although we dont have Self Serve our prices are usually lower then neighboring states.
I guess having the ports and high density of stations and traffic helps.

I found one place in Phillipsburg NJ RTE 22
(Hess Station) where the sign says Diesel
MUST pump their own.(LOL)

Philly has good bit higher prices for diesel from what I have seen.

If you want a laugh look for some NJ tourists in your home state trying to
pump their own gas! It is hilarious.