Fillup issues

the_dingman

TDI
11 Jetta TDI 6spd
Greetings - I just upgraded this weekend from a MKIV TDI to a MKVI. I tried filling up at my usual station and pump, and had issues with getting the fuel nozzle into my car. It didn't insert very far, and stopped pumping almost immediately. I was able to hold it at an angle and get it to about 3/4 of a tank before fuel started shooting out. My '02 didn't have any flap or anything in the way of the filler neck, but this '11 does. Nothing in the manual seemed to indicate anything special. Am I missing something?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It's a misfuel guard put in place to keep people from putting gas into the diesel tank. Don't remove it or it will probably void any warranty that the car came with. For sure will keep VW from covering any issues with the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP). It sounds like your station has high flow truck nozzles. Aske them is they have any car nozzles on the diesel pumps. You can get an adapter from VW or Audi, but that's a pain to deal with on every fill.

the_dingman

TDI
11 Jetta TDI 6spd
The pump I use most often has the larger truck nozzle, then the smaller car nozzle (still larger than a gas nozzle). I've always used the small one. It still didn't seem to help. I'll try a different station later.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
romad from this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=414163

Here are the different nozzle sizes:

Leaded Gasoline Nozzle: outside diameter of 15/16" (23.8125mm)
Unleaded Gasoline Nozzle: outside diameter of 13/16" (20.6375mm)
Auto Diesel Nozzle: same as leaded gasoline
Truck Hi-Flow Diesel Nozzle: 1 3/16" (30.1625mm)

And the station clerk was wrong; these have been standard for years. The problem is that station mangers sometimes replace a broken Auto Diesel nozzle with an Unleaded Gasoline nozzle because they either have an extra or just order the cheapest available.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Yup, that all matches what I'm seeing. I'm using the auto-diesel nozzle and still having problems.
In the thread I linked there is some discussion of nozzles that fail to open the fuel restrictor. It's also discussed in other threads. A search of those discussions is best; I've never had it happen.

the_dingman

TDI
11 Jetta TDI 6spd
In the thread I linked there is some discussion of nozzles that fail to open the fuel restrictor. It's also discussed in other threads. A search of those discussions is best; I've never had it happen.
Sure enough, I went to a different station of the same chain, and it worked fine. I guess I'm only filling up near work, not home.

Thanks for the help.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
I'd make sure to only fuel up from places that get high fuel turnover, like a truck stop. They will always have fresh fuel, which is what you want.

Also, update your sig ;)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'd make sure to only fuel up from places that get high fuel turnover, like a truck stop. They will always have fresh fuel, which is what you want.

Also, update your sig ;)
Totally agree. The newer diesels are not as forgiving as your 02 was for marginal fuel, especially higher water or gasoline contamination.