TDIFest 2012 -Looking for Expressions of Interest

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I checked out the Ypsi Marriott yesterday and it is a great location -- first time I've gotten a chance to look around in person... now to do some paperwork for Fred and then some paperwork for the hotel and then a whole lot more paperwork.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Not official yet... we still have to submit a proposal and get it approved. With that said, there doesn't seem to be any competition for 2012, so chances are pretty good.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Last I heard NH decided they couldn't get it organized for 2012 and were looking at 2013 as a possibility.

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
I'm hoping once I get moved to TN here soon that I can get a group together for a Nashville or Memphis TDIFest planning committee. Maybe some of the individuals that helped organize the Lexington fest can help?

Tony50

TDI
01 Jetta, 02 Jetta, 03 Golf, 04 Jetta, 06 Jetta
A tdi fest anywhere would be good, a fest in Tn would be awesome. Perfect central location for guys like me on the edges.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Bruce had an interesting idea at Whitbread's GTG this past weekend... how about doing a President's Day GTG somewhere in Florida? Anyone interested in putting something together? I know there's been a lot of discussion about a Florida Fest, but doing something like that on Labor Day weekend sounds pretty brutal.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Ypsilanti would be interesting - close to a major city, close to a major university, close to a hub airport, and for me it is drivable in a day each way. I made the Fowlerville Memorial Day weekend GTG's in one day each way.

chetdi

TDI
2012 A3, 2011 JSW
Living in the San Francisco bay area, I was *hoping* to see something out on this coast, whether it be western Canada, western US, whatever.

HOWEVER, I've got a ton of family in Michigan, so I definitely wouldn't mind going all out and taking a road trip to Ypsi for it. Opening it up on the salt flats would be quite nice. :)

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
If you really want to see something on the west coast, start a thread in the regional section trying to get volunteers together. Even if y'all can't get together enough ideas/volunteers for 2012, you can make friends and plan for '13, '14, etc. :)

chetdi

TDI
2012 A3, 2011 JSW
I wouldn't even know where to start ;( ...but maybe I'll look into it- that might be fun to help put together! I'll have to look and see what other people have done in the past.

Has anyone worked with other clubs in the past for TDIFest? Like a national VW or Audi group? I figure they might have more resources and experience? I don't want to consider the thought though if it would taint the festival!

By the way, I see you're from Flint! Howdy :) If you're ever looking to buy a townhouse outside of Detroit, let me know. My wife and I moved to California, but didn't sell our place, and now we're looking to try and get rid of it :D

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
What dates are these usually held? I'm going to be in Munfordville, Kentucky the 2nd weekend of September 2012, so I'm wondering if I might be able to combine everything into one trip. That is assuming it the Fest would be either the first or third weekend in September, of course.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ah, that may work then. Drive to the Fest, and then have 3 days to get to Kentucky.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Plans are in the wind and paper. People are being sequestered.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Good to hear. Although it's still early, I'm trying to get next year's Fest roadtrip coordinated with another event the following weekend. It's a popular time for vacations at work, so the sooner I put in for it the better.

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
I'm in the same boat. I need to book vacation time at work on the second of Jan. depending on where the fest is for sure is deciding on how much time off I need.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Based on my previous experience with similar events for my Miata, it takes a minimum of 9 - 10 months to properly plan. In fact, some Miata events have gone bi-annual as it was starting to take over a year to plan and set-up.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of LOCAL clubs for TDI owners to join and that could be used for the base planning, like there are for the Miata.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Based on my previous experience with similar events for my Miata, it takes a minimum of 9 - 10 months to properly plan. In fact, some Miata events have gone bi-annual as it was starting to take over a year to plan and set-up.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of LOCAL clubs for TDI owners to join and that could be used for the base planning, like there are for the Miata.
Correct. Historically the announcement of the location of the next year's Fest has happened around this time.

TDIFest is not organized or run by TDIClub. It's proposed, planned, and hosted by members of TDIClub that put together a successful proposals. Unless there was only one proposal for Fest '12 and that group has already been given the go-ahead, I doubt there's been any concrete plans made at this point.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As far as I can tell, it looks like only the MI option went beyond the "maybe" stage. Haven't heard anyone mention BC or NH in a while. Fortunately, I'm retired so I don't have to beg for the time off; it's just a matter of can I get from where ever the Fest is held to Munfordville, KY by September 7th.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Just finished the official proposal for 2012... sending it off to Fred tomorrow after our group has an opportunity to look it over. :cool:

kmcampbe

TDI
98 Jetta
As far as I can tell, it looks like only the MI option went beyond the "maybe" stage. Haven't heard anyone mention BC or NH in a while. Fortunately, I'm retired so I don't have to beg for the time off; it's just a matter of can I get from where ever the Fest is held to Munfordville, KY by September 7th.

It takes about 5 hours to get from Detroit to Lexington Ky, Munfordville would be a easy drive from Yispi! no sweat 7 hours tops.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It takes about 5 hours to get from Detroit to Lexington Ky, Munfordville would be a easy drive from Yispi! no sweat 7 hours tops.
Yep, I have it mapped out. However, I don't need to arrive in Munfordville before Thursday night at the earliest, so that leaves me four days. If it is in MI, then I'd probably drive to Raleigh, NC on Monday/Tuesday to see some friends, then go to KY on Wednesday/Thursday or Thursday/Friday.