New Q5 TDI recall???

sbbamafan

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Who knows what this is about? I got a card that says I have a recall. I went to the dealer and they said it is for a couple of sensors and an ECU flash and that it will take a couple of days. I scheduled it for Monday. I can't find anything about it online. Does anyone know anything?

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Its for a new DPF, relocated O2 sensor, and ECU reflash.

Nothing crazy and all good stuff.

AndreiMTM

TDI
2014 A6 TDI
Midwesthick, did you have it completed yet? Curious if it changes anything about the car. Have an appointment this upcoming Tuesday but depending on how long it takes, not sure if I'll be able to leave it if they don't provide a loaner car.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Someone else in the other thread reported back that they notice no negative difference at all. I asked them to report back after a couple hundred miles to see if anything else is up... haven't heard on that. I am waiting to get it done on my q5 as well.... dealer doesnt have adequate parts supply yet...

sbbamafan

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I found the paperwork....Emission Service Action 23Z8

It is the same thing you other guys said. I also did some research online. Some of the people in other forums said that the performance was restored to more like their cars were prior to the 'fix'. I have an appointment Monday morning.

From what I have read this seems to take about a half day but the dealers here in Atlanta take your car for 2-3 days but I don't mind since I will have a loaner.

sbbamafan

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
It took the dealer 4 full days. I got the car back and see all the new parts behind the turbocharger. It doesn't seem to drive any differently but I haven't really had it long enough to put any real miles on it to be certain. I'll keep you posted. FWIW - I had a new A5 while mine was in the shop. It was fun and somewhat fast but I didn't love it. I would not buy one.

Quite frankly, I am done with Audi - not so much because I don't like my car but I really don't like any of the dealers in the Atlanta area. I have had much better relationships with virtually every other brand I have ever owned. But this is a different rant for a different day...

CHDriver

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Recently had my 65K-miles service done on my 2014 Q5 TDI and the new recall service. And, just returned from a 1,000-mile road-trip - mostly interstate at an average speed of about 75mph. The result was pretty good. Overall mpg was 32mpg! Strangely enough my last fill-up was with the "new" Exxon diesel fuel, which resulted in 33.5mpg.
It appears to me that the recall has helped not hindered the car's performance. FWIW.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
I had mine done about 1 month ago... and I noticed a slight power / response increase. A little better mileage maybe .5 mpg over 3 tanks with hand calculated numbers.... so yeah totally worth it.

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
They do new up pipes and flex pipes? Turbo gaskets and etc etc?? Mine are starting to seep a bit, since they are all emissions I could take it in, but then I need to reflash to stock...

viper550

TDI
14 JSW 6M, 15 Q5 TDI S-Line
I had my AEM-C done on 10-30 it took 2 days due to a sensor not being in stock.
After the correction was completed I noticed an increase in throttle response and a slight reduction in turbo lag.
However after I got my Q5 back I went on a 900+mile trip to visit family and when I arrived I smelled diesel fuel. When I opened the hood I saw fuel sprayed on right side of engine cover and engine.
I called audi roadside and had it towed to nearest dealership. Turns out the HPFP is bad and everything is covered by extended warranty. Now just waiting for the last 5 days for it to get fixed.
I'm sure glad I decided to wait to do anything to my vehicle that would void that extended emissions warranty. It has covered thousands of $ in repairs in my first 35k miles of ownership.

sbbamafan

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Okay - I have now driven it a couple of months and probably 3000 miles or so and I wanted to be sure of a few things before I posted. I notice no real difference in how it drives but there are two negative side effects. First - I am getting some definite diesel smell inside the car and I NEVER had this before. Second, my mileage is down substantially. I used to always get about 500 to 525 (if not more) miles on a tank and now barely 400 before need to fill up. I am not happy with this.

I went to the dealer on Friday and told them of this and how it started when they did the update and they are going to take it in but I don't think they plan to give me a loaner or accept responsibility for this. This goes back to my frustration with the dealerships.... I have an appointment for Monday morning but they are acting like it is just a new issue even though I told them otherwise.

2014 A6

TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0
Bama Fan and Daemon, any update? I have my fix 2.0 scheduled for Monday. I’ve been driving with my check engine light on since fix 1.0.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6,

I mean mine has fully settled in and appears to running as expected. I was hand averaging 29.4 mpg before the fix and the same after for a few weeks until the temp dropped 40 something degrees outside... now around 27.3ish, but I figure that's totally excepted... I honestly wouldn't know because when I got my Q it wasn't this cold out... keep in mind on my mileage numbers there is a TON of traffic here, so lots of stop and go, and lots of city driving. So i count that as awesome... i took it on a longer trip the other day and i was pulling 31mpg on the trip, which is around my hand calculated 29.4 number..... The car was running a bit rough( and louder than usual ) the other day until i threw in 8oz of standadyne performance formula, and then it smoothed right out, and the power delivery was insane... i think the diesel here, especially in the winter is just terrible. Because after i threw that stuff in, and drove like 30 miles... night and freaking day. Its supposed to do up to a 5pt difference if you use the right amount... i used a little more because I'm lazy... supposedly treats 60 gallons, and i used half the bottle.

Anyways....

2014 A6

TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0
Thanks! I’m a Stanadyne fan as well. I’m not precise in my measurements either! So no regrets in doing the second fix (02 sensor adjustment, new dpf, and flash)?

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
2014 A6,
I mean mine has fully settled in and appears to running as expected. I was hand averaging 29.4 mpg before the fix and the same after for a few weeks until the temp dropped 40 something degrees outside... now around 27.3ish, but I figure that's totally excepted... I honestly wouldn't know because when I got my Q it wasn't this cold out... .
Did your slight mileage drop coincide with the introduction of winter diesel?

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6,
Yes those three are what they did in my fix and yes..... no regrets from me so far. No codes, a little less lag, same mileage as far as I can tell and some shiny new parts... hahaha...

Tom_b,
That was my thinking as I ran it through 2 full tanks with the same mileage and then the drop in mileage at my third fill up since it's gotten cold... and started running a bit rougher.... I put in the stanadyne and that smoothed it out a bunch... no idea on mileage as I haven't finished that tank yet... but my guess that's just its winter mileage... been 29 degrees out here a lot lately...

Last edited:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Had the update about a month ago.

Brought the car in on scheduled date. Was told my appointment was the day before. Pointed out the appointment notation in my iPad that I entered in front of them. Was told they tried to call me multiple times, but “my mailbox was not set up”. They had wrong phone #, despite it being correct in my customer record. They finally agreed to take the car, and gave me a Q5 hybrid loaner. Interesting vehicles, especially when you don’t receive any instructions in its use.

Picked up the car after hours. Drove 3-4 blocks until I got a flashing glow plug light, and severe decrease in performance. Left it with them and drove the hybrid loaner home.

Next morning, got a call from service begging for the loaner. Upon arrival at dealership, I was told they could not duplicate problem, but had the vehicle in service checking it out. It was returned to me an hour later with a notation of could not duplicate, but they found soot in some line, and cleaned it. Personally, I think a plug was left loose.

The Q5 seems to idle smoother, has a bit more power, and accelerates better. I have not checked the economy.

2014 A6

TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0
I had the repair completed the week of Thanksgiving. Two days ago I get a CEL and shortly thereafter the flashing glow plug lamp. It’s throwing codes P2463, P0402, P04DE, and P2002. I lost all boost as the car went into limp mode. I had to drive it in “manual” mode so I could be in the right rpm range to have enough power just to get it back to the dealer. Hoping it’s something little like the vacuum hoses we’re connected properly. Although a new EGR wouldn’t be a bad thing. I only have about 700 miles left on my emissions extended warranty and this is the first time I’ve thought about getting rid of the car. I love it and it’s my wife’s favorite car that she’s ever had but we have kids that we travel 4-5 hours regularly for their sporting events and I don’t have faith the car will make the trip anymore without issue. For an engine and platform as good as this is, the emissions systems will prematurely make you want to move on from what is otherwise a perfect car.

2014 A6

TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0
Diagnosed as a bad EGR cooler. To be replaced under warranty. Is it possible to be both happy and sad about your car at the same time?!

2014 A6

TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0
Okay, after the fix 2.0, a new EGR cooler, and a new MAF sensor, I no longer have any check engine lights. Its good to have the car back. Hope it lasts another 135k miles with the new airflow goodies.