Where do you splice in a new ABS sensor?

TDI_Michael

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GLS
Changing out struts this weekend and I tore the ABS sensor wires from the connector head on the passenger side of my 01 Golf. Looking at pics of replacements it looks like they have alot of wire, well past where it goes into the wheel well. I pried open a hard plastic protector piece by the strut on the fender well under the hood and I can see the wire passes here before going into the dash area. I am thinking this may be the best spot but was curious where others who have done this have made the splice.

TDI_Michael

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GLS
There is no wire on the connector end that I can see at least. The connector stayed attached while the wires pulled out of it.

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
if you look at my thread in the Golf Pictures forum, I did the same boo-boo. Just soldered it up and that was it. no need to go and spend if you can repair to an acceptable level. you need to depin the connector, then file the pins to reveal some copper (so you can solder), then solder the wires back on the pins, and that's it.

TDI_Michael

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GLS
I wish I would have seen your post earlier as I found a new one on ebay for $50 bucks VW brand. I hated spending that much but new ones were almost twice that. Also for others that this happens to I see they sell the connector head on idparts for around 10 bucks if that is damaged. I appreciate you directing me to the Pictures forum, I never look there but they have some great stuff. When my new cable arrives I guess I will try and splice it in but while waiting I may take the connector head apart to get a better idea of whats involved. Thanks for the post