Diesel Prices Summer 2012

Chunkerz

Veteran Member
TDI
'99.5 Golf
Supposedly the price of gasoline is going to hit 5 dollars a gallon or more this summer, but do any of you think diesel will get that high? Usually the price of diesel drops in the summer, but do you think it will stay below $4-4.50? Diesel is already 4 bucks a gallon at a local Exxon station :eek:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
If the price of crude is increasing, won't ALL petro distillates increase in price at a similar rate?
I doubt that diesel pricing will stay as is.

travism

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Diesel is $3.80 a gallon here in Indiana but I'm sure we will see another huge increase come summer.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
If RUG hits 4.99 that will put premium at about 5.30-5.40 and diesel at least 5.50-5.60 a gallon.

Jim W

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I filled my up my Cummins yesterday and I paid $3.76 a gallon and RUG was $3.75 a gallon at my station. When I filled up my wife's car the other day, same station I paid $3.71 for a gallon of diesel and RUG was $3.49 a gallon. So diesel isn't going up as fast, but it will go up.
In 2008, I paid as high as $4.74 a gallon for diesel for my truck spending $128 to $140 every time I filled the truck up.
Jim W.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Currently in Toronto, Gas went up to $1.29 per liter on Rug, and Diesel is at $1.32 per liter

So, after converting it to what you US folks understand LOL:p

In Toronto, we are currently paying: (current currency exchange is at par)

$4.89 per Gallon for Rug

$5.00 per gallon for Diesel

So, in Canada, we are already pushing past the $5 per gallon mark :(

MrVermin

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I fully expect to see diesel in the $5/gallon range this summer. We're already at $4/gallon here in the DC area and it's on its way up.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Here in the CPR, diesel is higher than premium gasoline. It is already at $4.27 where I usually fill up; the Shell station near me was over $4.30 the last time I looked. So I expect $5.00 by June. I may have to seriously consider the 2013 Jetta Hybrid if it uses regular; that would save me at least $5/fillup. Don't really want to give up Cranberry, though.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
:eek: ¡¡¡BREAKING NEWS!!! :eek:

Fuel prices are on the rise... the sun rises in the east and sets in the west... unrest in the Middle East... kids like things their parents don't... things may be hazardous to your health... a new study shows promising results... weather is occurring in your local area... local squad scored more runs/baskets/goals/wickets than rival team in today's match.

:D

Yes, fuel prices are up now and will be higher 'later' than now. This is the case and always has been. Enjoy the fact you get better fuel economy than 95% of all other vehicles on the road. Sure, $5/gallon diesel hurts a TDI driver but think what similar fuel prices do to the genius driving a 3/4 ton truck hauling a load of air or the 18 mpg minivan.

poppadoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat & jetta wagons
Diesel price in Caracas Venezuela is 0.01 per liter. I can remember complaining about $1.00 per gallon in 1976.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
Here in the CPR, diesel is higher than premium gasoline. It is already at $4.27 where I usually fill up; the Shell station near me was over $4.30 the last time I looked. So I expect $5.00 by June. I may have to seriously consider the 2013 Jetta Hybrid if it uses regular; that would save me at least $5/fillup. Don't really want to give up Cranberry, though.
I don't think the 1.4L TSI engine in the Hybrid would take regular, it would likely be premium.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
:eek: ¡¡¡BREAKING NEWS!!! :eek:

Fuel prices are on the rise... the sun rises in the east and sets in the west... unrest in the Middle East... kids like things their parents don't... things may be hazardous to your health... a new study shows promising results... weather is occurring in your local area... local squad scored more runs/baskets/goals/wickets than rival team in today's match.

:D

Yes, fuel prices are up now and will be higher 'later' than now. This is the case and always has been. Enjoy the fact you get better fuel economy than 95% of all other vehicles on the road. Sure, $5/gallon diesel hurts a TDI driver but think what similar fuel prices do to the genius driving a 3/4 ton truck hauling a load of air or the 18 mpg minivan.
Studies show that 56% of all statistics are made up. :D

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't think the 1.4L TSI engine in the Hybrid would take regular, it would likely be premium.
Well if not, then a Prius C might be an option to replace our current Gen II Prius. The higher mileage + lower priced fuel would be an offset to the higher diesel price.

Of course a 100MPG diesel hybrid would give me an effective 50% fuel cost cut.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here in the CPR, diesel is higher than premium gasoline. It is already at $4.27 where I usually fill up; the Shell station near me was over $4.30 the last time I looked. So I expect $5.00 by June.
Yesterday afternoon the Shell station was $4.48; this morning it is $4.58. I now expect $5.00 by April, if not earlier.

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
The current "bubble" in crude price has been caused by unrest in Iran ... and of course mostly wealthy speculators. There is always a possibly that the "bubble" will burst causing oil prices collapse before summer ... or perhaps after. This wouldn't be the first time in recent history that a run up in price unrelated to demand has ended in a price collapse.

jgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 audi a3 tdi
Diesel and rug here in toronto is 1.28 per liter or 4.83 us gal.Premium at 5.29 us gal. I'm so glad i got rid of my saab 93. At the current price for premium 85.00 to get to work per week, plus a little more for weekend driving. With my 03 golf i fill once a week- 50.00 Just over 10 us gal (40)L That gets me 850-900km. Really looking foreward to 1.50 per liter prices by summer.- At lease my consumption should drop by 6-9L per week with warmer temps. Its not just the personal cost of fuel that concerns me, but the cost of EVERYTHING else as a result. Economy recovery????

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
In the Denver metro area yesterday afternoon I saw RUG for $2.929 in Morrison CO, D2 was $3.599-$3.669 and RUG was $2.969-$3.059 in Littleton CO.

I thought it was funny on the CBS evening news that they had Greeley CO as the cheapest gas in the nation @ $2.969, I know of at least 5 stations in the area that were at that mark yesterday afternoon. They showed a area of states in the middle of the country where RUG was on average ~$1.25 a gallon cheaper than most of the US today. Having cheap gas and diesel in Colorado is a real change from 10 years ago when D2 and RUG were as much as $0.50-0.70 a gallon cheaper ~90 miles away in Cheyenne Wyoming.

In Colorado I expect RUG to top out around the ~$3.50- $4 mark with D2 Maxing out in the $4.10-$4.50 range.

My wife is in S CAL right now where she just paid $4.359 for RUG a couple of days ago. I filled the car the day before she left Denver @ $2.969 a week ago. She filled in Utah for $3.339 and $3.599 in Las Vegas. A ~$1.40+ a gallon difference in CA, how can that difference be justified???????????????.............

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Speculators... :mad:
Yep. According to the news, it is the commodity traders that are driving up the price. Hmmm, since Obama likes to make laws by executive fiat saying "we can't wait", maybe he should remove petroleum products from the commodities market, as "we can't wait until the price drops" :D

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
In addition, when I see the record breaking, off the charts, mind boggling profits reported by the oil companies, it gets my blood pressure up every time. I've never had a problem with paying for a product when the premise is you're paying for the cost of producing plus a reasonable profit. We have come a long ways from that. I fail to see how that is a good thing.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
In addition, when I see the record breaking, off the charts, mind boggling profits reported by the oil companies, it gets my blood pressure up every time. I've never had a problem with paying for a product when the premise is you're paying for the cost of producing plus a reasonable profit. We have come a long ways from that. I fail to see how that is a good thing.
...all the more reason to run locally sourced + produced B50 or B99 like I do year round. Support local farming and keep your money out of corporate greedy pockets (if you can afford to do so) :)

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Though not regularly, I've run plenty of BD and fully support all the reasons you cite. Even the BD producers are not immune from govt. legislation and morphing tax incentives (politics). IIRC, we had a major producer in our area fold up due to changes in the tax incentives. It became economically unviable to continue.

Last edited:

Chunkerz

Veteran Member
TDI
'99.5 Golf
In my area diesel prices seems to be shooting up like crazy while gas prices stay pretty much the same. I would have thought diesel prices would be done rising by now since winter is almost over :confused: I've never used bio diesel before. What are the prices like for that stuff? There's a place about 20 minutes away from me that sells it. If it's cheaper I may have to try it.

Last edited:

NachtRitter

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5MT
Filled up yesterday and was surprised to see that the B20 I filled with was cheaper than RUG ($4.299 for B20 vs $4.399 for RUG)... it's been a really looong time since that's happened! SUG was $4.699!! :eek:

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Higher % blends are not usually cheaper than D2 but I would rather know I am primarily supporting local business and domestic economy....and less percentage going to big oil
I run B99 in summer and B50 in winter. It's great for your injection pump, especially at high rpm it provides great lubrication. Exhaust smells better and it plays nicely with N20 too :D