M-TDI and Emissions Testing

lazerguy

TDI
'97 TDI Jetta, '96 IDI Jetta
Hi Volks!

Has anyone here passed Emissions testing with an M-TDI?

I'm very interested in converting to M-TDI, but Canada will soon introduce yearly testing, and that's something I need to consider before taking the plunge.

Would a properly tuned M-TDI have better or worse emissions than the stock TDI?

Thanks!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Short form for "mechanical TDI" i.e. a TDI (rotary-pump) engine with the old IDI (mechanically controlled) injector pump, or a hybrid injection pump using a combination of TDI and IDI internal parts so that the electronics are no longer used.

What vehicle are you putting it in, and what engine was that vehicle originally equipped with?

If it is for the vehicle that currently has your '96 IDI engine, that vehicle did not have any electronic engine controls as originally equipped - no OBD-II as originally equipped. Therefore there is nothing to scan and there never was anything to scan. Won't make a difference M-TDI or IDI, same situation. Even if they go to the trouble of checking with VW using the vehicle's VIN, VW will tell them that it originally has no OBD-II.

Emissions-wise, if you get the injection timing in the ballpark and don't go too far overboard with the fuel delivery, it ought to pass any test that an IDI would have been called upon to pass in that same model year.

If you do the job right, the engine will look (almost) the same as the original engine, so no one's the wiser.

If you want to do this to your TDI then the lack of OBD-II on a vehicle that was originally equipped with it could be trouble.

lazerguy

TDI
'97 TDI Jetta, '96 IDI Jetta
Thanks! That's exactly the kind of info I needed. Then I guess my safest bet will be to invest in a good OBD scanner or vag-com, and replace whatever faulty sensors.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
An mtdi will never run as Efficiently and smoke free as an ecu tuned car at the same power level.

westyman

Veteran Member
TDI
'90 Syncro 16" highroof camper mTDI project; '97 Passat TDI sedan 'parts car'
The truth require evidence, not heresay. Some mTDIs are certainly not set up well; mine are and run as efficient and clean as my Passat TDI.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Why on Earth would you actually want to step backwards? I can see if the engine was going into something that was not originally a TDI in the first place, but if your '97 Jetta was born a proper TDI, why bother with a good thing? That EDC system is super stupid simple anyways.

westyman

Veteran Member
TDI
Saw a MTDI once and was not impressed. Engine being run by a computer is far better than any mechanical means.
You saw ONE. 'Nuf said. :rolleyes: You are clueless as to what else is out there, or perhaps even more importantly - what goes on in ECU-controlled, VE-pump TDIs.

Some of us have far better results than you might imagine. My latest mTDI Syncro Westfalia, for instance, has more power and runs cleaner than my comparable '96 Passat with Alligator chip and PP520's - same engine, same injectors.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
And you are running a wastegate turbo that cant perform with the fnesse that the vnt can.m

westyman

Veteran Member
TDI
And you are running a wastegate turbo that cant perform with the fnesse that the vnt can.m
You shouldn't make assumptions based on knowing nothing about what I build. FYI, the van mentioned is running a VNT1749.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Okay then, i know there are some vnt mtdi, and yours is one, but they are the exception to the rule. Also, the control of the vnt, unless b a standalone electronic controller, is miles away from the level of control an ecu has.

westyman

Veteran Member
TDI
Miles away' is only in your own mind, again - because you have no idea of how I am controlling it. There are 'souped up' e- TDIs running full 'mechanical' control over the VNT vanes, because the electronics can't handle the spiking of boost levels fast enough. I'll just say that this one is set up to control the vanes perfectly. Instant response, no spikes, adjustability, and nice low EGT. Having a liquid intercooler and IAT near ambient helps too, I suppose. ;)

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Bumping this thread. I have and mtdi in a 92 passat originally a 16v gasser that could never pass emissions in Ohio so I titled it and registered it to my girlfriend in Indiana. For various reasons it may need to be titled and registered in Ohio again I just wonder if I may have any trouble doing so and if anyone has any insight into this at all?