2010 jetta running sluggish any help??

powers0430

TDI
2010 2.0T
Okay i have a 2010 jetta 2.0t with about 15k miles on her. Love the car, my problem i am having is it seems a good bit more sluggish then my friends 09. what i mean is that when you punch the pedal on his it goes no real lag mine delays for a few seconds then pulls till about 3000 then stops also mine doesnt start to spool until about 1900 or so is this all normal? they are both 6spd manuals and stock beside a CAI.

powers0430

TDI
2010 2.0T
i heard from someone that it could be a programming issue that can just be tweak to cut down on the turbo lag? i know its not a race car but it should have some more get up then it does

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Okay i have a 2010 jetta 2.0t with about 15k miles on her. Love the car, my problem i am having is it seems a good bit more sluggish then my friends 09. what i mean is that when you punch the pedal on his it goes no real lag mine delays for a few seconds then pulls till about 3000 then stops also mine doesnt start to spool until about 1900 or so is this all normal? they are both 6spd manuals and stock beside a CAI.

Both cars came from the factory with a 'CAI'. Change your fuel filter, return the car to stock and see if there are any improvements.

Bill

powers0430

TDI
2010 2.0T
Both cars came from the factory with a 'CAI'. Change your fuel filter, return the car to stock and see if there are any improvements.
Bill
just changed it and ill slap the factory filter back on ... i just know when i had my diesel truck CAI , Exhaust and tuner boosted hp and doubled my mpg. i should have done more research before jumping into buying things.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
You're a fast learner. These little motors are completely different from light truck cousins. Best to learn or ask before modding. Welcome aboard.

powers0430

TDI
2010 2.0T
Okay cool i will be sure to ask first thank you ... You think it could have lost some power bc of that CAI ?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
Are we talking about a 2010 Jetta TDI, or a 2.0T?

Diesel TDI, or Gas Turbocharged Direct Injected (not TDI) engine?

powers0430

TDI
2010 2.0T
Are we talking about a 2010 Jetta TDI, or a 2.0T?

Diesel TDI, or Gas Turbocharged Direct Injected (not TDI) engine?
Its diesel ... i believe its the cjaa i just thought id throw it out bc every is always talking about the 1.9 sorry about the confusion.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I doubt you would lose any performance because of an aftermarktet air filter, unless you disconnected the MAF and didn't pkug it back in, but then you'd get a CEL. Is it an oiled filter?

That said, there a few problems with the aftermarkter air filters:

1. They offer no performance upgrades.
2. If it's an oiled filter, the oil will eventually contaminate you MAF sensor.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
1. They offer no performance upgrades.
Unless other upgrades are also preformed. Many here have benifited from a true CAI, but it wasn't their first mod, and yes this is on a CJAA.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Unless other upgrades are also preformed. Many here have benifited from a true CAI, but it wasn't their first mod, and yes this is on a CJAA.
Did any of them do before & after dynos of the CAI itself? The only "numbers" I've ever seen have been on the CAI sellers' websites, and they've all been suspect for one reason or another.

powers0430

TDI
2010 2.0T
Hmm if the MAF is contaminated would that cause the hesitation ? because i bought this CPO at a dealer and when i put the intake on it seemed as if there was one on here at one point. It looked like there was a line drawn on the MAF which lined up perfectly with the one i installed. And yes i have it all back together and no cel. I don't have another mod besides the cat back that was one here when i bought it. I will reinstall the oem unit back on tonight. Someone told me about a flap in the bottom of the stock setup that i should hold open or closed with a bolt or something ever heard of this and why ?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Did any of them do before & after dynos of the CAI itself? The only "numbers" I've ever seen have been on the CAI sellers' websites, and they've all been suspect for one reason or another.
no dynos, but one did VCDS logs of demanded air flow and actual air flow, and there was an improvment, was it worth the cash and do they filter the same? that's for them to comment.

Another member reported the CAI cut down on soot under "hard acceleration". Like I said their CAI wasn't their first mod.

Here's a discussion on tunes/mods and CAI, looks like not a whole lot of change with/without the intake except for spool up a smoke.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=323946&highlight=CAI

carnotgas

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Gear Ratios

The gear ratios are different on the 09 and the 10s. This might make the 10 feel more sluggish.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
no dynos, but one did VCDS logs of demanded air flow and actual air flow, and there was an improvment, was it worth the cash and do they filter the same? that's for them to comment.

Another member reported the CAI cut down on soot under "hard acceleration". Like I said their CAI wasn't their first mod.

Here's a discussion on tunes/mods and CAI, looks like not a whole lot of change with/without the intake except for spool up a smoke.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=323946&highlight=CAI
I saw the MAF-log "proving" the benefits of the CAI. It didn't convince me that the CAI was an improvement. I could probably do a couple of full throttle runs in my car with the OEM filter setup and get different results each time.

As for the 4hp/4ft-lb gains on a car with a stage 2 tune, those may be real, but $300 is way too much to pay for 4hp/4ft-lbs.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
ill look into that that would make sense ... is it true that the 2010 is DOHC and 09 is SOHC ?
No. They're both DOHCs.

If your '10 is as sluggish and lacking in boost as you've described, I doubt it's the slight difference in gearing that you're feeling.

powers0430

TDI
2010 2.0T
If my MAF is dirty from mine or the PO's CAI could that be it ? im still seeing about 40-41 mpg when i calculate it myself though i heard if its bad it would effect mpg and power. And would my cel be on if this was the case ?

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
On previous generation TDIs a bad MAF would usually not cause a CEL. Whether this is true for a '10, I don't know. You may be able to find someone near you with VCDS who can scan the car and make some logs to try to diagnose the issue.

powers0430

TDI
2010 2.0T
I just had it at the dealer yesterday to get the tcs checked out and they updated the ecu and some injector damper. And said everything was fine

powers0430

TDI
2010 2.0T
If you put a full exhaust on for off road use do you need to get it tuned right away ? im guessing you couldn't drive it like that bc of the dpf ?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
If you put a full exhaust on for off road use do you need to get it tuned right away ? im guessing you couldn't drive it like that bc of the dpf ?
Are you honestly trying to solve a problem, or create more?

I'm not sure we've got the full scope of what has been done to this motor. Until that's clear, any advice is useless.

powers0430

TDI
2010 2.0T
There is nothing don't to the car besides a CAI and a dumb cat back that was on it when i bought it ... I was just reading about exhausts in a magazine so i was curious that's all... And i believe my problem is solved i had it at the dealer to check out my tcs and it need 6 updates to the ecu and injector dampers it seems its has a little more pep in her step.

powers0430

TDI
2010 2.0T
Why would an exhaust create more problems ? i heard ppl said it makes it more dependable, more fuel friendly and more power. Like i said i am new so i would just like to know the does and donts :beer: