Driver side seatbelt switch?

TDIGolf02

TDI
02 Golf GL
I have a golf 02, 2-door, folding seats. My airbag light is on. One of the guys scanned vehicle with VAG-com, got code: Driver side seatbelt switch. Which switch is it?

Last edited:

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
It would help to have the code number that was pulled up but I am guessing it is the switch for the seatbelt then. There is a plug that attaches the seat belt latch to the cars wiring harness. Unplug and replug it and then clear and rescan for codes. Most of the airbag codes are just from a bad connection at a plug. You just say where the code is coming from but what the whole thing said would help as it could be describing the bad connection like resistance to high (plug issue). Hope that helps you. Good news is depending on how you are getting it scanned the fix should be free. Copy the scan fault readout and post on here and we can help a lot more.

TDIGolf02

TDI
02 Golf GL
I adjusted the latch connections today and will have it scanned again tomorrow. Once that's done, I will ask the guy to print it out. Thanks!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
E24 is the driver's side latch that you plug your seat belt into. It apparently has two variable resistors that have to match within a close tolerance or the airbag CEL is lit. This is a dealer only parts and IIRC it was about $175. Installing it is pretty easy: take out the seat, unbolt the seat belt latch (IIRC 8 mm 12 point required), reassemble.

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
E24 is the driver's side latch that you plug your seat belt into. It apparently has two variable resistors that have to match within a close tolerance or the airbag CEL is lit. This is a dealer only parts and IIRC it was about $175. Installing it is pretty easy: take out the seat, unbolt the seat belt latch (IIRC 8 mm 12 point required), reassemble.
just did this last night. Fixed my airbag light. Post the entire VCDS error code to be sure. I got mine for about $100 from Bora Parts, but that was for the 03 Jetta. I'm not convinced it was the right part yet, as I think my seat belt chime is gone. Perhaps there's another one with a different sensor that is more expensive.

Yes, 8mm triple square bit. $4.50 @ Napa.

matt

TDIGolf02

TDI
02 Golf GL
It would help to have the code number that was pulled up but I am guessing it is the switch for the seatbelt then. There is a plug that attaches the seat belt latch to the cars wiring harness. Unplug and replug it and then clear and rescan for codes. Most of the airbag codes are just from a bad connection at a plug. You just say where the code is coming from but what the whole thing said would help as it could be describing the bad connection like resistance to high (plug issue). Hope that helps you. Good news is depending on how you are getting it scanned the fix should be free. Copy the scan fault readout and post on here and we can help a lot more.
I got the golf scanned again. The guy's printer didn't work, but here is what I wrote down:

00591 - Seat Belt Switch; Driver (E24)
32-10 - Resistance too High - Intermittent

Can I temporary disable the switch and delete the code so light would shut off? Or, can the current one be fixed?

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
I got the golf scanned again. The guy's printer didn't work, but here is what I wrote down:
00591 - Seat Belt Switch; Driver (E24)
32-10 - Resistance too High - Intermittent
Can I temporary disable the switch and delete the code so light would shut off? Or, can the current one be fixed?
I believe that is the exact code message I got. As others have stated, unplug and replug the seat buckle plug under the seat where all the airbag connectors are, clear the code, then see if that fixes it. If it comes back, replace the buckle (female end). They are VIN specific. Very easy fix (I did it in an hour and a half. Somebody with actual skills could do it in 30min).

Also, do a search for 0591 and you'll get some info.

Last edited:

TDIGolf02

TDI
02 Golf GL
I believe that is the exact code message I got. As others have stated, unplug and replug the seat buckle plug under the seat where all the airbag connectors are, clear the code, then see if that fixes it. If it comes back, replace the buckle (female end). They are VIN specific. Very easy fix (I did it in an hour and a half. Somebody with actual skills could do it in 30min).

Also, do a search for 0591 and you'll get some info.
I unplugged and replugged several times, reset the code and the light comes back on in about 5 seconds. I even took the latch apart. First time I reset the light, it came back on in about 2 minutes...but now as I mentioned, it comes back on in about 5 seconds. I may try to inspect the wires/connectors. Then if doesn't work, will replace it. Thanks!

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
It's quite common for the wires to break right where they exit the latch casing. Repair is a fiddly job with a soldering iron and heatshrink tubing, but better than paying $100+ for a new one.

Simon

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
I know oldpoopie advised in a previous thread that it is not a serviceable item. Just replace it.

What color is your interior? If I can't return the one I bought, I may be selling it. Also, look on the plastic part of the buckle for a part number. It may be there.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know oldpoopie advised in a previous thread that it is not a serviceable item. Just replace it.
I've fixed several.

What color is your interior? If I can't return the one I bought, I may be selling it. Also, look on the plastic part of the buckle for a part number. It may be there.
You can swap the casing to match interior color.

Simon

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
I have one here that I wouldn't mind trying to repair. What's the trick to taking it apart? I don't see any frayed wires coming out the bottom.

It apparently has two variable resistors that have to match within a close tolerance or the airbag CEL is lit.
I believe the above quoted item is what needs repairing?

matt

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have one here that I wouldn't mind trying to repair. What's the trick to taking it apart? I don't see any frayed wires coming out the bottom.
Unfortunately I don't have a picture, but there are two posts in each casing half about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom, which snap into each other. They will usually release without damage to the case if you gently pry the halves apart with a couple of broad blades, one from each side. The broken wire isn't usually obvious because it's typically right where the wires pass through the bottom of the case. Often the case won't snap back together afterward and has to be glued - I suppose that's why some would consider it a non-repairable item.

It apparently has two variable resistors that have to match within a close tolerance or the airbag CEL is lit.
I believe the above quoted item is what needs repairing?

matt
It's a microswitch which tells the air bag module whether the seat belt is latched or not. The switch has normally open and normally closed contacts, and the module considers both open or both closed at the same time to be an error condition.

Simon