Injectors/Nozzles/Tunes, what's the difference???

zona iron

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 5 Spd
Let me start by stating the obvious, I know next to nothing about mechanics. I know what I know from searching and this site. No matter what, I don't want a decrease in MPG, looking for better if possible but also a "sportier" ride, or at least improvement over stock. I started looking into the above and that is when I questioned, if the results are similar, what is the difference in getting there? Would all of the above be over kill? Is one better than the other regarding not having to make other mods or upgrades (ie clutch)? Just asking as I'm looking at a tune that is going to cost quite a bit and was wondering if I could accomplish the same performance by changing injectors. I have a stock 04 Jetta Wagon/5 spd., 92k miles, just had the timing belt/water pump service done. Thanks in advance-

ItsADiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Welcome! I'd say for what you're looking for, a good tune matched with some nozzles would be perfect. Getting new injectors aren't necessary, and a new clutch REALLY isn't necessary unless you plan on doing some future mods to make a lot more power. I have a tune matched with some nozzles and I'm getting better mileage than I was before AND it's a lot more "peppy" when I put the pedal down :). But I have to warn you, the power is addicting! haha. I did my nozzles and tune about 6 months ago and I'm already looking at more performance mods to put on in the next couple months :p. But like I said, if you're just looking for better mileage and make it a little more "peppy" when you want it to be, a Tune and nozzles is right up your ally. I got mine from KermaTDI and I'd recommend them to anyone.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
what a difference it makes in out TDIs cars when you do those 3 things you mention on your thread, our cars are clumpsy when stock but when you upgrade you are going to say wow, why didn't I do that long time ago!! our cars become alive and hyper!!

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
Hi there, for your stock 04 Jetta you really don't need to upgrade your injectors/nozzles.

I'm a Malone tune dealer, we just did a bunch of tunes this weekend at Southern Worthersee in Helen, GA.

With just tuning, you can expect an additional 25-30 hp, and +40 torque. The tunes will not lower your mpg, but your right foot can.
http://malonetuning.com/?page_id=539

In August we'll have a shop near Atlanta, but we'll be back up here in GA at the end of June.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
What Newzboy said: you don't need injecters, just give your PD a tune and you'll get into the fun zone. After that, mods become pricier for your car.

dieselfueler

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD100 Jetta Wagon
your car is a PD your performance path is Tune first this will get you to around 140 hp 250ftlb and is the biggest bang for the buck this will also max out your stock turbo, so next is a bigger turbo (vnt17 / vnt17/22) which will max out your stock intercooler, so next is a bigger side-mounted intercooler (SMIC) or Front mounted intercooler (FMIC), you'll need to retune after each of these upgrades and upgrade to a heavyduty clutch. Your stock injectors should be good to around 170-180 hp, its a good idea to think about some gauges to monitor boost and exhaust gas temperatures (EGTs), after all this you can think about injectors pd150s or pd150s bodies with upgraded nozzles. somewhere in there i would upgrade to a 3bar MAP sensor and either hacking off the muffler ( mufflerectomy) or go whole hog and get a bigger downpipe and 2.5 inch exhaust pipe. A 17/22, FMIC, downpipe and good tune should get you close to 200hp/ 300ftlb it's a slippery slope once you start down this path and you will find yourself wanting more, it's just a matter of money.

zona iron

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 5 Spd
Thanks to everyone. Dieselfueler- Just wanting to add some zip and not lose MPG or have to do all those other upgrades (specifically clutch), could I just stop at a tune? What would be my 1 all encompassing tune? I have been following/waiting on the Green Diesel tunes (under fuel economy... testers wanted thread). I am not looking to race/compete with others, just a "mild" upgrade for my driving experience.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Go with a tuner who is well known (TDTuning, Malone, Rocketchip) they'll all have something that will suit you.

dieselfueler

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD100 Jetta Wagon
most folks actually see a slight increase in mpgs with any tune, Some of the most radically tuned ALH's that produce over 250 hp still can get 50+mpgs. But there are 4 things guaranteed to die tuned or not on your car the dual mass flywheel, alternator pulley, lift pump, and boost pipe going into the intake.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
A tune is probably best suited for you and what you're looking for in a driving experience.

I know how the GDE tune behaves and am very impressed as it has much more power which you will get with any tuner you choose, but the driveability is much much better and fuel economy is up about 4.5mpg when driven conservatively.

I cannot speak on behalf of other tuners or their products as i have not used or dealt with them, but from the word on the forums, they have a great reputation and have a good product, as do most vendors here.

Just look around and check out all the tuners and see what you like best!