New tune on the way.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
numbers are one thing what the DMF can handle without showing shudder is another. DSG tune won't remove shudder.

The peak torque band it so tight around 1800 RPM you'll never really get those peak numbers with out shudder, heince why they have an stage 1+ and 1.
Agreed, the (engine side of a) tune should work around the parameters set by the remaining "drivetrain" capabilities.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I don't believe your Alltrack has a DSG. Asian conventional 6-speed automatic, I'm pretty sure.
ohhh common Peter? you think I don't know a DSG vs a torque converter Aisin slush box?

In North America, all 4mo GSW be it a an Alltrack or regular GSW are DSG if it's an auto, they took the R platform and just tossed a longer prop shaft, slightly different fuel tank and bam!

Also I'm not sure if the aisin transmission VW uses has the knock out plate to accept the Haldex front diff.

it's the non 4Mo GSW that gets the Aisin transmission.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Learn something every day. Since I don't like gasoline or AWD, I've not paid much attention to the Alltrack.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Learn something every day. Since I don't like gasoline or AWD, I've not paid much attention to the Alltrack.
My hands were forced to learn about gassers when the wife wanted AWD I couldn't stomach BMW diesel prices or an Outback. She has the longer commute and uses the AWD in bad weather, so I couldn't really put up a fight.

Eitherway, DSG fluid changes just doubled in this household, be on the look out for a nice order in about a year and a half. So far miles are tracking about the same on both cars.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
Loco, any further updates? I too have a '15 Passat TDI/DSG and I am interested in a tune w/DSG tune. Looking at Malone (used Malone in the past) and Kerma. Kerma's got some pretty impressive numbers....almost unbelievable though....? Not sure how solid those numbers really are or how thorough the DSG tune would be.
So I finally got back in my car and put about 150 miles on it in the last few days. I’m honestly about 180 from where I was in my first post. The original tune was a joke for a day or two but then woke up and was a monster. A beta tune I was given was a disaster and had so much dmf shudder I was ready to give up. Then Charlie did a long weekend of testing and tuning and the final custom map he sent me is close to perfection. It’s not as aggressive as the first tune, and I can’t say the numbers will match what is on their site, but I really don’t care. My car is so much more driveable now and just feels great. The tip in power is so smooth. Unlike the stock tune, where the skinny pedal seemed completely disconnected, and you would push it and push it and then it would finally downshift and wake up, it is now much more responsive and rewarding. I have no desire for a DSG tune because, it’s a diesel, and I don’t want the revs to always be higher. Below 2k you really don’t even know it’s tuned, except for the lack of lethargy you’re used to, and the fact that the throttle response now seems like it actually does something below 50%, but when needed or wanted, it pulls plenty hard. Steady and solid 26psi of boost with no creep and if you try hard enough (I did) you will see 1600egt. The first tune would hit 28psi and 1600egt much quicker, but honestly, didn’t feel any faster.

Happy, impressed, content. Not sure what else to say. If I “really” try, I can get it to shudder, and maybe even flare a little, but not without purposely doing so. If I had anything else to ask for of course it would be more raw power, but I honestly feel we are at the limits of stock components. Let’s just say it now has enough ass to make the car torque steer.

Do I recommend this tune for the Passat? Absolutely.
Am I against Malone or anyone else? Absolutely not.
I had two deciding factors in my purchase (Well, maybe 56 deciding factors, but I’ll list 2). 1 was choosing the road less traveled/ the underdog if you will as Malone seems much more popular (and my son has Malone on his BEW so I’m by no means a hater), and 2, the tune price included the flash loader.

Yes, I tend to get long winded with posts, but hey, nobody forced you to read it this far. Happy get drunk and blow **** up day, AKA Independence Day for us Mericans. Happy to answer any other questions.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Loco,
I've been avidly following your posts and progress. Sounds like the end results are fantastic. I wonder if you broached the subject of warranty disallowment by VOA triggered by this tune? That is my main concern with doing anything that might trigger a voiding of the amazing 11 year warranty.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
Loco,
I've been avidly following your posts and progress. Sounds like the end results are fantastic. I wonder if you broached the subject of warranty disallowment by VOA triggered by this tune? That is my main concern with doing anything that might trigger a voiding of the amazing 11 year warranty.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=488921

I have and I guess the bottom line is, use at your own risk.

Got diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time.
Loco,
I get Shudder big time if I step on it at low RPM with Stage 1 and 1+ and I have a manual on my 2015 SE Passat ... No answer or response from Charlie, Yes I know he is busy yet ...So am I , we all have a life and work yet after 2 weeks of no response. You tell me. I call it being ignored.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
Loco,
I get Shudder big time if I step on it at low RPM with Stage 1 and 1+ and I have a manual on my 2015 SE Passat ... No answer or response from Charlie, Yes I know he is busy yet ...So am I , we all have a life and work yet after 2 weeks of no response. You tell me. I call it being ignored.
I wish I could answer for you. I had noticible shudder with stage 1 originally and horrible shudder with the “beta” software he sent me. They honestly seemed hit or miss with email responses, but I’m persistent, without being too much of a jerk, and my issues were eventually resolved. They obviously aren’t a fly by night operation, but if email isn’t working, I would pick up the phone and give them a call. To me, being a customer means you walk a fine line between demanding and asking for results. I don’t know your situation, or relationship with them, but personally, I gave daily updates and feedback on what was going on with my car. In the end I have no idea what he did to fix it, or if I’m even close to the dyno graph he posted, but I’m happy and I guess that’s all that matters.

For conversation and comparison, with the original and worse with the “beta”, if I even gave 50% throttle around 1800rpm it would feel like the trans was about to jump out of the car. The funny part is, whatever he did doesn’t “feel” like any less power at 1800, but the shudder is gone. Like I said before, if I really try, I can “maybe” get the slightest shake, and can for sure get a 100 to 200rpm flare, but it’s worlds different from before, and I’m back to just driving it instead of staring at gauges and feeling for things. I hope he sorts yours out as well. Good luck.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
its almost a shame you haven't put more miles on the tune. So far were averaging 3-400 miles a week in our tune. I always smile when I'm lucky enough to drive it, the wife complains I drive too fast.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
its almost a shame you haven't put more miles on the tune. So far were averaging 3-400 miles a week in our tune. I always smile when I'm lucky enough to drive it, the wife complains I drive too fast.
Funny thing is how it keeps getting better. Felt smoother and better this morning than it ever has yet. Now that my kids are pretty much grown I travel a lot more for work so when I travel, my car sits at work and I drive a mercury mariner, lol. Sure feels nice to get back in the Passat after it’s sat for a few weeks though. Makes me appreciate how nice of a car it is. On non travel weeks I will drive it about 500 miles a week.

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Have anybody done an intake, straight exhaust with deletes and tune ? I'm thinking of going this route and am not sure if intake is needed as i hear oem air box is quite good

Got diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time.
Radek, Save your Cash..Buy a Tune for the car. Leave it alone until the warranty is up. Intake on this car is a waist of $$$. The stock box does a good job and some. Also don't buy a K&N as well, its another waist of $$$ on this car. Keep in mind depending were you live, emissions testing could come into play as well if you delete every thing. If the tuners can just dial back (ahem cheat mode on full advance) then all would be just dandy. Just my thoughts yet what would i know.

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Radek, Save your Cash..Buy a Tune for the car. Leave it alone until the warranty is up. Intake on this car is a waist of $$$. The stock box does a good job and some. Also don't buy a K&N as well, its another waist of $$$ on this car. Keep in mind depending were you live, emissions testing could come into play as well if you delete every thing. If the tuners can just dial back (ahem cheat mode on full advance) then all would be just dandy. Just my thoughts yet what would i know.

I'm in Chicagoland and no emission testing for diesels, can pass on intake/k&n but nice whoosh sound through the exhaust is tempting

Btw, have a 15 Passat SEL DSG with only 21k on the clock but after phase 2 update i can't drive it , it's so much slower now

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Start with a tune then, go with Malone if your even contemplating going with a delete.

See if you're happy with the results. IMO gains going with a delete aren't really for added power, but added MPG.

Also remember these turbos have VNT (variable geometer turbos) you won't get the same whooosh-pssshhhaaa of a gasser and a diverter valve or wastegate.

With that being said, I have heard accounts of people gaining "some" intake sound by removing the plastic snow filter of the stock intake.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also why bother with Malone on a gasser? I didn't even think the supported the EA888 gen 3. That's like going for an APR tune for your TDI.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
I would AVOID Malone, Or ask me how a Malone tune cost me a friendship and ruined my turbo on my 2015 TSI wagon. I would look at other options. Just my input.
I will add, no update invalidates your claim. You can't come here and open your mouth, bagging on a vender, without backing up your claim.....and it better be very very well supported with FACTS.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Only facts I have is an email from a year or so ago from Malone stating that they had zero support for EA888 Gen 3 tuning with the newer siemens ECUs. So I agree fake news.

Also there are quite a few reports of blown turbos on stock programing or even APR or other big name tuning compainies, the turbos of the EA888 gen 3 don't seem crazy robust be it the IS12 (1.8T) IS20 (GTI) or IS38 (R)

Got diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time.
I'm going to shut this post down. No good will come of it based on the immaturity of many on here. Some of you boast like you have some really big balls behind a key board, Yet in face to face... not so much.

Last edited:

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
I just wanted to talk about my new tune. Lol.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
just curious who's being immature? and there's many of them?

We just did about 500 miles on our malone tuned Passat this weekend. When I filled up mid way through the trip, hand calculated was 47mpg.

Arrived back home with 450 on the trip odometer and about half a tank showing, MFD was flirting with 8-900 mile tank before a regen or two. MFD of the tune showed 52.8mpg on the way up and about the same on the way home. 55-75mph, with 1/3 being 60mph country back rds

I'm contemplating coding the cluster to take out the skew to try and dial in the mpg display. Prob 107 adjustment would do it.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
just curious who's being immature? and there's many of them?

We just did about 500 miles on our malone tuned Passat this weekend. When I filled up mid way through the trip, hand calculated was 47mpg.

Arrived back home with 450 on the trip odometer and about half a tank showing, MFD was flirting with 8-900 mile tank before a regen or two. MFD of the tune showed 52.8mpg on the way up and about the same on the way home. 55-75mph, with 1/3 being 60mph country back rds

I'm contemplating coding the cluster to take out the skew to try and dial in the mpg display. Prob 107 adjustment would do it.
I’m not sure if the Malone tune worked the same, but it took until the first regency for the car to completely “wake up”. Up until the first regen it was pretty dead until 1800 or so and it now pulls nice from about 1400 in the lower gears. Feels like the torque is somewhat pulled back in 4th and up.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Torque is prob pulled back for EGT safety reasons in the higher gears.

I'm just smitten with the lower end pull (under 2,500) in crusing/everyday driving than the peak power numbers.

This past weekend passed a slower car, went from 45-50 to 80 did get up to 4,500, it didn't feel as impressive as the pulling from 1,5-2K, but still boogied and required a scolding from the wife.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
Not even close to EGT limit. My guess is pulled back for lack of shudder.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
So I have no desire for a DSG tune because, it’s a diesel, and I don’t want the revs to always be higher.
See, that is where I disagree. The OEM trans tune really bugs me. Gear hunting and lugging is not what I want. So often, cruising along (it's already lugging, I can hear/feel it) and just wanting a bit more pep I lay into it gently, and nothing...nothing, so a bit more, and nothing, so a bit more...then whammo, there it is.....except down too many gears.

In my '06 I actually got better MPG's cruising around 1800-2000....different animal maybe but...?

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
See, that is where I disagree. The OEM trans tune really bugs me. Gear hunting and lugging is not what I want. So often, cruising along (it's already lugging, I can hear/feel it) and just wanting a bit more pep I lay into it gently, and nothing...nothing, so a bit more, and nothing, so a bit more...then whammo, there it is.....except down too many gears.

In my '06 I actually got better MPG's cruising around 1800-2000....different animal maybe but...?
And this is where I feel the tune has shined the most. The nothing, nothing, oh crap here we go is gone. If the rpms are too low for the turbo to even function, I just drop a gear (which is where the paddle shifters really shine).

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, I should've added I like sport more better...no paddle shift, just the DSG stick with "D", Sport, and "Manual" modes...