2010 - JSW - TDI - 120,000+ Miles - Opinion?

twilsey

TDI
'10 JSW - Blue Graphite
Hi, First post here.

I'm in the market for a TDI Wagon, I have narrowed it down to a 2003-2010, Leather, Manual, flexible on price, just want to find the right car.

I'm currently looking at a 2010 with over 120,000 miles on it, full CarFax, One Owner, all scheduled maintence, oil changes etc done on time at VW Dealership. Car is very clean, up for sale by an independent dealer that bought it at auction, it came in from a dealership as a trade in. No indication of the 120k service, so that will have to be done.

Setting money asside, opinions?

Thanks

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
1. No leather, leatherish. VTex is very durable and attractive, but it's not leather.

2. Due for Timing belt, put aside $800-$1200 for that. Have someone scan DPF for ash loading -- VCDS can do this. May be fine, may be approaching end of its life. That could be a $3000 repair, so it's worth checking.

Others may chime in with other suggestions.

P.

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon with a manual is the holy grail of TDIs..... Shoot for the best right out of the gate.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Well it would really depend on price, 120k is alot of miles but that is what some TDI's due in three years ( I have 40 k on mine and it is not a year old yet) have a Indy loook at it and decide what it will need, good luck and let us know how you make out.

cooper426

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exc. 2001 Golf TDI
I second the motion of changing that timing belt! I have the exact same car, and the belt let go at 142KM. It cost me a new engine. Great car besides that bad luck.

twilsey

TDI
'10 JSW - Blue Graphite
Thanks for the input, the 120k service will be a must, includes the TB and DPF. Is the DPF something that really wears out? The way I understood is that it's just a cleaning. I am thinking $1,500 should cover the 120k service so either that much comes off their asking price or they perform the service before delivery.

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
Thanks for the input, the 120k service will be a must, includes the TB and DPF. Is the DPF something that really wears out? The way I understood is that it's just a cleaning. I am thinking $1,500 should cover the 120k service so either that much comes off their asking price or they perform the service before delivery.
Life of DPF depends on a number of factors. As long as ash load is within specs, you're good. Some have gone bad in 60,000 miles, some are still going strong at 160,000 miles.

As far as I know, nobody cleans TDI DPFs (at least not yet) so it's replacement only for a bad one.

P.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon Tdi, 2010 Golf TDI
I have a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI with 162000 that is a great car and have a 2010 Golf TDI with 93000 miles and both going strong. I rather have a high mileage TDi as they seem to last longer and run better if used a lot. As a lot of people say on this forum is to drive more and worry less!

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
The DPF will eventually get to a point where active and forced regens will no longer clean it out enough for proper flow. It isn't required that the DPF gets replaced at 120k, It is just the point where you have to check it every 10k miles.

With that many miles on the car, it better be pretty damn cheap to even consider buying it.

Why the DPF can become clogged and how to clean a VW or Audi DPF filter

Unlike a regular catalytic converter which has a pass-through honeycomb-like structure, a DPF really is a blocked off filter. If you hold a cat converter up to a light you can see through it - you can't see through a DPF because each honeycomb is blocked off at alternating ends (shown below). Its construction and the fact that it traps particulates between self clean cycles means that it also increases backpressure vs. older systems. This slightly reduces the energy differential that the turbo uses to spin and fuel economy at the cost of better emissions. The filter traps solid particulates at the far end while still letting exhaust gasses pass through the filter upstream of the particulate blockage. During the automatic filter regenerations, the particulates oxidize into ash which build up in the DPF and fill it over the life of the system. VW and Audi suggest inspection of the DPF at around 120,000 miles. While average lifespan before failure is not yet well known, it's possible to remove it if you have the car's computer reflashed. As far as I know, the only TDI chip tuner who does DPF specific programs is Malone tuning. Other companies can do power flashes but only Malone tuning does both power and DPF removal tunes.
To inspect filter loading, you must use a VCDS cable and software or dealership tools. Once the filter reaches 95% clogged, it must be removed from the car and replaced or cleaned using a DPF cleaning machine. Heavy duty truck services do DPF cleaning but as far as I know, this is not possible for the DPF/cat units used on 2.0L TDI engines. This is because the cat/DPF is combined into one piece. Truck services require the DPF to be separate for effective cleaning. Even if they could cut and weld it to remove the core, they probably won't stock DPF for passenger cars. Therefore, there would be some car downtime if you sent the DPF away for cleaning. If there was, you could have a core to immediately swap your dirty DPF out or you might be able to buy a "rebuilt" pre-cleaned DPF.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DPF-Adblue-FAQ-VW-Audi.htm

Last edited:

53 willys

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI~LOVE/HATE~
Big rig cummins diesel shops clean dpf filters all the time....I don't see why they could not do a vw dpf....

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Big rig cummins diesel shops clean dpf filters all the time....I don't see why they could not do a vw dpf....
Have you ever seen the shape? It would be tough to clean out but I suppose it could be tried.

Volkswagen sells reman DPFs now, they are not all that expensive, about $1100. But, they only work for the later 2-piece design. If you have a 2009 with the early 1-piece setup, you need to replace the whole shebang in order to use the newer type setup.

However, as has already been discussed, a scan tool can be used to check ash loading, and so long as the regens are working correctly it should not be an issue.

Anyone remember way back when oxygen sensors were all supposed to be replaced every 20-30k miles? Same thing. Manufacturers said that because they really didn't know how long they'd last. But as it turns out, they lasted usually a lot longer. DPFs on Volkswagens will probably be similar.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
My golf had its 3rd dpf installed at 23k :(

twilsey

TDI
'10 JSW - Blue Graphite
Dealer hasn't gotten back to me to address the 120k service so I'm assuming they're getting enough attention on this car at the moment that they'll see If they can get a buyer that's not thinking about the costly service it's due for. I see that if I'm going to consider the asking price from a dealer then I should be getting a vehicle that's ready to go w/o additional service. BTW, I think the other high mileage thread here is the same car.

twilsey

TDI
'10 JSW - Blue Graphite
Check my posts, I have a link to my pictures of the timing belt.
I wouldn't call that bad luck, your snapped TB is a result of neglecting to perform the manufacturer's preventive maintenance schedule. Hope you do not take this to offense.

cooper426

Veteran Member
TDI
My timing belt was due @ 180000 according to my OEM owners manual, i was only @ 142000. Yes i did get it checked at 116 to see if it look good. I would not say it was my neglet. Do you guys change everthing way ahead of schedule?

142000KM = 88200 Miles

Last edited:

OilBurningBrit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
My timing belt was due @ 180000 according to my OEM owners manual, i was only @ 142000. Yes i did get it checked at 116 to see if it look good. I would not say it was my neglet. Do you guys change everthing way ahead of schedule?

142000KM = 88200 Miles
I had to look twice at your original post, double-checking mileage ... the confusion for me originated because you stated "142KM", which naturally expands to "142,000 miles", which wasn't what you intended.

Lots and lots of abbreviations, acronyms, and other typing shortcuts are being used across the threads and making posts either ambiguous or just plain difficult to interpret (in my humble opinion!)

cooper426

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry for the confusion, but yes KM is the proper abbriviation for kilometer.