Brake and clutch bleeding issues

gutts

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
Hello out there in TDI land !
1999.5 alh 5 speed
I am about at the end of ideas.
I have only been able to work on this car what seams like 50 hours in the last 3 months.
I have replaced the brake booster, master cylinder , slave cylinder, and the clutch cylinder, the line from the clutch slave to the clutch cylinder. New pads and rotors along with all new calipers all around. No leaks were detected.
I tried bleeding the brakes using a pressure bleeder . I got about a cup of fluid out of each caliper . I did the fronts then the rears . The brake pedal if I pump it up will go almost to the floor , and will still be squishy . Am I just pushing air from one line to another ?
I hooked up vag-com , went to ABS block 000 I have an error there ? The fuse is good .
So after that , I kind of gave up and went work on the clutch. Using a power bleeder almost @20 lbs I have no flow . I then tried to push fluid in through the bleeder . I had the cap off . I could not get any in . The line I bought from ECS , it has a fitting in the middle . I disconnected the line in the middle still no fluid will flow in through the bleeder . The bleeder is plastic I had it loose , maybe a turn .
I have read how simple this is supposed to be . It has been nothing but heartache for me .
I’ve read many many post have not found this problem regarding the clutch before.
I am thinking that if I get the clutch to work I can put the car away in the barn for awhile . I am very disappointed and frustrated .
Any ideas ?
Something I am missing ?
Thanks

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
soo, most of those parts you can rebuild yourself for about $10 to 20 each in a rebuild seal kit.
screw pressure bleeders and mightyvacs and all these gimic BS
go to petsmart and pick up a air line check valve for $.99 and put it inline on the bleed hose, put that hose into a bottle with about 1 foot of the hose going UP then back down into the bottle.
Get a buddy to press the pedal down and bleed them the old school way, i know its a PITA but ALL other ways risk and usually do put air back into the system and dont even come close to putting enough pressure in the system to push the air out.

your doing VCDS right with the ABS but you need to bleed from the pedal, not a pressure bleeder. I do like the pressure bleeder when it comes to just flushing the lines with new fluid but to get the air out, forget it.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I'll agree on the mighty vac but pressure bleeder was the only way I could get the air out of my slave cylinder on the clutch. I tried the old school way and it was still there and pressure bleeders make a brake flush a synch by yourself...I just hate wasting all the brake fluid in the jug if you don't use it

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gutts

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
Well , after several more hours today , I found that the clutch rod was not affixed to the pedal . Apparently it did not snap in all the way .
This is after I had removed the the clutch actuator, to play around with it .