Speedometer Problem and fix

Benjamin

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Tdi Jetta Mine, 2008 Jeep GC CRD, 2005 Passat TDi
Well I had this problem start up and go away for a bit and then come back. The speedo would go nuts, all over the range, die for a bit, then if I had my foot on the accelerater and was in the 4000 rpm range it would come back alive. I didn't drive the car much then because I didn't have it plated correctly. Well, got the plates, went on a long road trip (3300 km's), and the problem surfaced and disapered to the point that it was really getting on my nerves. Well I started moving around the Vehicle speed sensor on the transmission and would get the speedo to work, but eventually it would die, taking the cruise with it of course. Eventually it died completely, nothing I could do would fix my problem. I took out the connector, replaced it with 3 individual connectors, took out the battery and cleaned all my grounds, and followed the wires up to the firewall to make sure there were ok. Since all that was pretty much my time only, I figured that I would start there. Next came the vehicle speed sensor, $40 cnd at the stealership, and the fix to my problem. I am only posting because I searched through the forum and could not find this solution to my symptoms. So if your car's speedo is dancing around, dropping to 0 for long periods, fuel guage will go down when accelerating, and the odo and trip odo don't work, try replacing this part first. Part number here in Canada is 191-919-149-E and it ran me about $40.
Hope this helps somebody who might have the same problem. I feared it might be the cluster, but with that being the item with the biggest cost I figured I would do that last.

Benjamin

PicknCrew

TDI
2011 Golf TDI MT
Yes This Works!

I have a 02 Jetta TDI with 92k and I had the same exact symptoms and FIX, so thank you for the post! Speed sensor was only $24 here in the states. I moved the airbox out of the way and was able to get at the sensor at the rear of the engine by the firewall. It was able to unscrew it by hand. The center sensor (vein) was broke in half. I can't understand why it would affect the fuel gauge, but I saw erratic behavior with that too. I'm a happy camper now that it's fixed... thanks again. :D :D :D

Benjamin

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Tdi Jetta Mine, 2008 Jeep GC CRD, 2005 Passat TDi
It drove me so nuts, especially since I had to do well over 7000 km's in three weeks with cruise only kinda working. I should have mentioned that the vein was worn off on mine, but it kinda slipped my mind. I had to cut mine a little to get it in, but from new I think the small pin/vein is about an inch new, so if yours only a small fraction of that, get a new one, easy fix!

Benjamin

jaime17

TDI
looking to buy one
Hi, this is the EXACT same problem I'm having. I had some other work done very recently at bugformance in San Jose (timing belt and etc) and in taking it back to them for help they said they'd have to replace the entire cluster. I thought I might get some better guidance here (thanks!).

My question is: WHERE exactly is this part located on my car (automatic, 2002 TDI jetta).

Jaime

Last edited:

hagar

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 white Jetta 5sp & 2006 Mercedes CDI
This erratic behaviour is also a symptom of the dreaded coolant migration, so make sure you check for that as well.

PicknCrew

TDI
2011 Golf TDI MT
The speed sensor for my 2002 Jetta TDI manual was considered to be the one mounted on the transmission. That's what I told the VW garage when I ordered it. It screws in behind the engine, on top and close to the firewall. Not sure if A/T is the same as manual... Langan VW in Glastonbury, CT had the part in stock and it was only $25.

jaime17

TDI
looking to buy one
Ok, I finally got around to fixing my speedometer problem. It was the sensor on the transmission and is now fixed. One of the electrical connectors (prongs) was corroded, and then broke off as I tried to clean it off. A local dealer had the part and it was about $30. So I thought I'd take a few pics since I think it's helpful in case anyone else is having the same issues.
And the part # is: 357 919 149B

I only had to pull off the air filter intake to be able to see where the sensor is- here's a picture of the area (with the intake "hose" removed):

Here's a more closeup view of the sensor, with the wire harness unplugged, but before unscrewing it (sensor is dead center):

Here's a closeup of what it looks like with the sensor removed completely from the transmission (it screws in and out):

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
Thanks for posting

This thread has been a great help! Many thanks!
My 2000 Golf speedo began acting crazy just before Thanksgiving - speedo jumping all over the place, no cruise control etc. Very frustrating and stressful since I didn't know just what was failing/had failed. In my case, the amount of 'acting up' by the speedo needle seemed to be dependent on the amount of accelerator pedal I was applying! ie going down hill with a slight amount of braking, the reading appeared to be normal (but who can tell what the correct speed actually is when crazy things have been happening to the speedo) but when accelerator pedal was applied the needle began to jump all over. At interstate cruise speeds [abt 70mph] the needle was consistently pegged at over 140 mph (indicated)!
The engine seemed to run fine with no erratic behavior and NO trouble lights which you might expect from a broken ABS system and it's speed sensors.
I'll get a new part ordered next monday (the nearest stealership is in Portland) and put it in.
Again many thanks for posting this problem/fix.:) :)

Edit: 11/25@3:50PM - Fixed problem. Turns out the connector plug had worked it's way loose and fell off in my hand when I was trying to find out just where everything was! There was a blob of black butyl rubber that had been used [by the factory?] to secure the two connector halves together. That rubber got pulled apart when the engine was changed [another story] recently and the rubber prevented the connectors from mating properly when they were reinstalled by the mechanic who did the work. Cleaned up the connectors with electrical degreasing spray, reassembled, and the speedo works fine!! Something IS wrong with the catch on the connectors since it won't "snap" like it should. perhaps that is why the rubber was used in the first place. Many thanks for the pics and info guys.

Last edited:

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Some German must have built my Mercury. I have a Mystique that has had the exact same symptoms ( even down to the fuel guage going whacky !! ) Guess I'll get a VSS for it someday ...

capngeo

TDI
'00 Golf TDI
Hmmmmm.... I've got none of the above symptoms, but only a DTC of P1540, which Vag-Com says is the speed sensor.... for $25, I guess I'll switch it out

capngeo

TDI
'00 Golf TDI
Well..... went to the local stealer, got a part that looked like

Figured from the above I was golden..... but it seems I need

I've got at least 3 possible part numbers, none of which seem to be OEM VW..... any takers on the "Real" part #, so when I go to the stealer Monday, i'll come home with the right part?

meinsnailen

TDI
pending
Speedometer - flat

Im searching for an answer as to why my speedometer is not working at all.

I took my recently purchased 92 jetta in for a certy. I had replaced some dash lights, had to disconnect the speedo-cable to get the instrument panel out-hooked everything back up and now the speedometer does not work at all.

I Put a drill on the cable and got a reading inside on panel, its seems the problem is at the transaxle- hookup, is there a trick to the hookup there??

I need to get behind the wheel of this standard.
Anyone have any ideas- could this too be the sensor.

Thanks

AD

dpruth

TDI
'99.5 Jetta
I've had the same problems, so would like to replace the VSS, but can't find it anywhere online to buy. I have a 99.5 TDI Jetta 5-speed manual. The only speed sensors I can find are either ABS Sensors or AT Speed Sensors. Does any one know where I can find this?

Is there another name for the VSS?

Last edited:

JohnJM

TDI
1999 VW Jetta, Wolfsberg
VW Jetta Speedometer Repair

I hope this helps someone, because when I was looking for the answer no one posted their fix!

I purchased a 1999 VW Jetta. Speedometer & Tachometer didn't work. Tach sat at zero... speedo "bounced" on zero. Odometer, cruise control, and all other gauges worked fine.

I removed the instrument cluster. It's really simple, a couple of plastic covers, the light switch, and four screws. It was MUCH easier than removing the gauges from my F150!

I found DNA Speedometers by searching the internet. They're in Tamp, FL. I packaged the gauges and shipped it allong with a check for $129. Turn around time was GREAT! The received it, fixed it, shipped it back. That's it. I didn't have to call or send nasty emails... nothing. They litterally turned it around in one day! Round trip took a whole week... that's UPS ground!

When it arrived I installed it and took it for a test drive. It worked like a champ. They even replaced the blown bulb in it. DNA Speedometers even garauntees their work for six months!

There are other places on the internet that repair speedos... I went with this one and had a GREAT experience.

(Posted 6/26/2008)

MaddieBrad

TDI
Golf
Hey there!

I signed up for this forum just to post up on this thread. I have a 2003 VW Golf that has some of the problems listed here. I should add that I am in the UK, (not sure if it makes a diff or not!)

Anyway... It all started with the speedo doing the bouncing thing that everyone seems to talk about. It started gradually... it used to be that at first it would only bounce when i decelerated. SO when i was accelerating it worked properly... then when i pressed in the clutch and the engine revs dropped the speedo would drop down and then when I let the clutch back in it would bounce a bit then settle once at speed. Eventually the speedo just stopped working. Also the gas gauge seems to have been affected somehow. when standing still the gauge works properly... but if I go around a corner, or over a big bump then the gas gauge light comes on and it beeps. It gets sooooo annoying! If I fill the gas tank up all the way to the top it doesn't beep, but the gauge still drops down.

I brought the car to a couple different repair places and they were unable to diagnose the problem. They were however able to hook up the dash cluster to their computer and make each component work on the cluster. The VW dealer told me that it was my dash cluster that was defective. When I told the other repair centers that VW said that it was the dash cluster they said that they didn't think that it was possible as they were able to test each component on the dash cluster and they all worked!

Any advice that anyone can give me would be realllllly appreciated!

Thanks!

Brad

MaddieBrad

TDI
Golf
Just to close my input on this thread. I eventually came to the solution of my problem. There was a broken wire in the wiring loom under the battery which caused the fault with the speedo. The speedo and petrol gauge are connected and effect one another if there is a fault with one or the other.

B

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
The photo shown by Capngeo is not that for 2002 Jetta TDI automatic. The sensor for this car is 367-919-149B. For its location, please see KansasCitytdi.com site, identified there as G22. For removal, first remove the electrical connector using a small screw drive prying UP thru the rectangular slot that you see and at the same time pulling up (see ECSTuning.com for the detailed shape of the sensor, including the notch on the outser surface that keeps the connector in place). You can then use 27mm deep socket (same one used to remove injectors on 1985-1992 mark II diesels) or if you have strong hand/grip, you may be able to rotate the sensor counter clockwise (it has female thread). There are pictures of this sensor screwed on the shaft coming out of transmision housing elseware on this site.

Before replacing this sensor (367919149B), check to see if it ok. There are threads within this site that shows how to test the sensor.

If the sensor is ok and before proceeding to replace the speedometer, I suggest that you remove the bearing and pinion assembly that is in the transmission housing and on which the sensor is screwed (the assembly is made of hard plastic). The bearing and pinion is one assembly with two components, namely pinion (a shaft with gear at the bottom) going thru bearing (a hollow plastic cylinder with two threads and 22 mm "nut" on outer surface), and it is screwed to the transmission housing. This is the same assembly that you remove to change gear oil (actually the plastic 22mm "nut" that you see after removing the sensor is the top portion of the gear). Use 22mm deep socket or 22mm open end wrench to remove it. After removing, check whether the gear (of the pinion) at the bottom of the assembly is ok and that rotating it also rotates its top portion (of the pinion) in which the sensor shaft goes (recall: the sensor is cylindrical with female threads and in the center cavity runs a match stick size shaft that rotates and in turn generates signal for the speedo). If it (top portion of pinion) does not rotate, then there is a break in the pinion (part #095-409-197A). You can remove the pinion from the bottom of the assembly by applying force to its gear (warming the gear cylinder with heat gun helps in disengaging). It appears that the pinion, due to rotation, causes scuffing on the smooth inside portion of the hollow gear cylinder (part #095409193B). This eventually binds the shaft from rotating freely and that in turn causing break (this is all plastic material). The dealer may not have these two parts in stock and may require special order or you may order from ECStuning or other souces (such as 1stVWparts.com). My assembly was broken and I have ordered the parts from VWdiscountparts.com. The bearing is for $18.44, pinion for $7.19, shipping $10, and tax $2.24. The dealer charges around $32 and $14 for these items. I am writing this in detail because I could not find such in detailed description in Bently or other threads. With these cars aging, you should not be surprised to see non-working of the speedo, automatic locking of doors at certain speed, cruise control, and unpredictable fuel gauge movements.

Last edited:

pro5utah

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
The pics in this thread are dead so I have no way of knowing where this sensor is. Can someone point me in the right direction? I think I have an issue with this...

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
visit kansascitytdi.com to find out where sensor is. That is the right direction if you think you have an issue with speedo.

cfuzz987

TDI
2002 Golf Tdi
Another speedo problem

so I just did a auto to 5 speed swap on my 2002 TDI golf. Everything went smoothly pretty much followed the directions of the Kill Da Wabbit thread and a few others related to that. Thanks!!

The only problem I have now is that my speedo and Odometer aren't working and I have a 1/4 tank of fuel and the light comes on and I get the annoying beep when I turn. Oh also the speedometer does work in reverse but seems to cap out at 10mph.

I replaced the vehicle speed sensor on the back of the trans and I traced the related wires all the way to the firewall and they are good and the plug itself is good. Whats the next step? I have a donor car, should I pull the cluster gauge and swap 'er out or does anybody have some sage advice for this?

Last edited:

kraftwerkturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI auto
2005 Golf TDI BEW auto:

Only does it with gear selector in "D" (not in "4" or similar).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fi2iklnhy9...05758.mp4?dl=0

Suggestions what it could be or where to start with diagnostic?
Initially thought speed sensor, but since only in "D", that kind of rules out the sensor itself. As far as I can tell, everything is fine when gear selector in 4 or lower (manual shift gate has not been working for a while now, so cannot test in manual gate).

jenxo

TDI
Jetta 2002 TDi
I have a 2002 Jetta Tdi with 300,000 miles.
Speedometer needle doesn't move, and Fuel gauge works but moves back and forth sometimes.
I'm reading and seeing CONFLICTING reports...
1) The sensor is under AIR FILTER and can easily be unscrewed and replaced
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5vXEF0FcyU
2) The transmission mount has to be unbolted, the transmission propped up from underneath, and then you have access to the speedo sensor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYzakftPHik

Which one is correct, anyone has the EXPERIENCE to confirm ?

kraftwerkturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI auto
Update: i could not easily see where the speed sensor is located. So I pulled a few of the plugs in that area and cleaned them. Put back together. Issue is going, speedometer works fine now.

Still would like to know where the sensor is located on 2005 TDI with Jatco tranny.